Majesty Castle

Chapter 8

Friday…

The “Ladies Lunch” was an afternoon event before the masquerade meant for Allegra to be introduced to the women of her court. Some she knew, and some she didn’t and there were a few she’d prefer not to know at all.

They ate finger sandwiches and drank lemonade amid random conversations. Allegra was cordial and polite all the while wishing she could run and hide. She wasn’t one for putting on heirs and hosting an afternoon luncheon. She’d much rather be down in the lower chamber alone playing the piano or reading her new book. If she could get away with it, she, just like her husband, would give it all up in a heartbeat. She would snub her nose at her royal future and seek the life she wanted for herself.

“Matthew!” Allegra turned around at the sound of Felicity’s squealing voice only to see her and her sister Sabrina circling around her husband like hungry vultures. Felicity was pretty in her own right. She was a buxom blonde who made no bones about showing off her figure in her form fitting dress. Sabrina, like her sister, was attractive and had just as many curves. “Ladies, how are you this afternoon?” Matthew asked.

“Oh, we’re just fine,” Felicity answered flashing him a pearly white grin.

Matthew nodded and returned the smile. “Well, if you’ll excuse me, I just came by to say hello.” Before leaving he turned to face his wife and gave her a curt nod. It was nothing compared to the smile he gave Felicity and Sabrina. It was no secret that Felicity had a thing for Matthew and she was used to getting what she wanted. There were whispers throughout the court that she had rendezvoused with him on occasion, but he never confirmed nor denied any of it. Allegra had already decided that she didn’t like Felicity or Sabrina. Come to think of it, neither of the two made a single attempt at speaking to their future Queen. It certainly bothered her they way the two of them fell all over her husband. That fact coupled with the whispers and snide glances she was getting from the two of them, Allegra felt like she was being made a fool of right in front of her face.

When the lunch was over, Allegra walked into the kitchen and it was easy for Pippa to notice that something was bothering her. “Why the long face, honey bunch?”

Allegra lowered her eyes for a minute before looking back up at Pippa. “Can you make me pretty?” Pippa set her rag down on the counter and walked over to where Allegra stood.

“What on Earth is this about?” Pippa asked and that is when the tears started to fall.

“Please, the masquerade is tonight and I can’t go looking like this.”

“Miss Allegra, have you lost your mind? They don’t make em any prettier than you.”

“But, I don’t look like those other girls. My skin is pale, my hair is dull and I don’t have much of a figure at all.”

Pippa took a step back and put her hands on her hips. “So, this is about the gruesome twosome. I swear those girls are as loose as a goose!”

“Yes. And they also have my husband’s full attention; which is something I don’t have.”

Pippa grabbed Allegra’s hand and dragged her out of the kitchen up to her room. When they were inside Pippa had June, Allegra’s ladies made, draw a bath. “Now scrub yourself up good and clean and I’ll go get everything I need to get started.”

June and Pippa left Allegra alone to bathe. She sat in the claw foot tub and leaned her head back against the rim and closed her eyes. A few minutes later, she heard a familiar voice. “What color is your dress?” Hearing her husband speak, Allegra sat upright and covered herself with her arms.

“Can’t you knock?”

Matthew stood there impatiently waiting for an answer. “I have no care for your modesty right now. I asked what color is your dress.”

“It’s purple. Why?”

“My mother needs to know so we can get your jewelry for the evening from the vault.”

Allegra gave her husband a questioning gaze. “My jewelry?”

“Yes,” he nodded. “The family heirloom jewelry belongs to the Queen. Since your dress is purple, I think we’ll go with diamonds.”

Allegra simply nodded, “I uh guess. I guess diamonds would be ok.”

Matthew just shook his head and walked out of the bathroom. Allegra sunk her head under the water and came up sputtering. “I have diamonds!” She laughed to herself and stepped out of the tub wrapping her towel around her. When she stepped out of her bathroom and back into the bedchamber, Pippa and June were waiting for her.

“Have a seat.” Pippa had a chair sitting in the middle of the room and Allegra happily took her seat. While Pippa worked on Allegra, June worked on altering her dress. It was a pretty dress to start, but it was a little bulky and for a small-framed girl, a bulky dress would have made her look twice her size. The straps were cut off and the square top was being reworked into a sweetheart neckline.

Pippa and June had taken hours to complete their transformation of Allegra. When they were finished, Allegra stood in front of the mirror admiring their handy work. For the first time, she wore make up on her face and really didn’t recognize herself. Her hair was up and loose curls hung down about her face and shoulders. “That’s me?” she asked holding a hand to her chest.

“Sure, isn’t me,” Pippa said. The three of them laughed and Pippa walked over to the dresser to get the Jewels that Matthew had left for her. They came in three blue velvet boxes. The first one was the biggest, Pippa draped the diamond necklace around Allegra’s neck and all Allegra could do was gasp at the sight of it. “Are you sure I’m supposed to be wearing this?”

Pippa just laughed and reached for Allegra’s right arm and slipped the bracelet on her wrist. The last of the jewels were earrings. Allegra clipped them on to her ears and then smoothed her hands down over her gown. “It’s show time, my lady.” Pippa nudged Allegra with her elbow and the two of them laughed.

“Do I look ok?” Allegra asked.

“Child, Matthew wont know what hit him!” Pippa opened the door for her hinting that she should take her leave and make her way down to the ballroom. Allegra headed for the door and June stepped up behind her.

“Don’t forget your masque!”

“Thank you!” Allegra replied taking the thin rod that held the masque at the top from June. “Thank you both for everything.”

“Just go!” Pippa ushered her out the door and Allegra walked down the hall alone. As she approached the staircase, she could already hear the music coming from the ballroom. She descended the stairs slowly as she wasn’t accustomed to the shoes she was wearing and when she finally reached the bottom she breathed out a long breath before walking to the entrance of the ballroom.

The butler was waiting by the door and made her announcement. “Lady Allegra of Majesty Castle.” He said and in an instant all eyes were on her. Matthew was about to sip his drink, but his hand stopped mid air as he caught sight of his wife. Brain who was standing beside him was also taken back by her appearance.

“My word, she looks like a harlot!” Matthew’s mother said to his father. “That is not the dress I picked for her.” Her husband turned to her and whispered in her ear.

“Keep your voice down.” He warned her about her outburst. Allegra was their son’s problem to deal with and Jon would make sure that his son spoke to his wife. This was an embarrassment.

“May I have this dance?” It was Nikki who asked and Allegra nervously set her hand in his. Brian watched as his father walked Allegra to the center of the dance floor.

“Your father is just as bad as you are,” Matthew told Brian. “Well if you won’t lay claim to her, one of us will happily stand in your place.”

“You’ll do no such thing,” Matthew warned.

“Matthew, I would love to dance.” Felicity paling in comparison to Allegra, stood before him with her cleavage peeking out of her too tight dress. “I didn’t ask you,” he said making Brian chuckle.

“Oh come on, just one dance.” He knew he wasn’t going to get away from her and it was better to just get it over with.

“Fine, one dance.” He led her out to the dance floor and was instantly met with a disapproving glare from Allegra.

“Well, you’re quite the little dancer,” Nikki said.

“I’ve never done this before.” She replied. As they danced Matthew and Felicity moved closer.

“Could have fooled me. You know there’s an old saying that goes…If you’re good on your feet, you’re even better off them.” Matthew turned Felicity around quickly to face the two of them only to see Allegra give Nikki a look of confusion.

“Well, that doesn’t make much sense. How can you be good off your feet if you’re only sitting down?” Clearly that wasn’t what he meant. Allegra was inexperienced when it came to sex and Nikki as well as Matthew knew it.

“Oh doll, I’d be more than happy to demonstrate.”

“Ouch!” Felicity pulled out of Matthew’s grip. After hearing Nikki’s offer he squeezed Felicity’s arm so hard he could have snapped it in half.

“Sorry, I forget my own strength sometimes.” When the music stopped, Allegra stood before Nikki and looked up at him. “Thank you for the dance, I think I’ll go get some punch.”

“You do that, doll.” He winked at her and walked off the dance floor over to his brother Peter who was standing by the bar brooding as usual.

“You’d be smart to keep your hands off that little girl,” Peter noted and took a sip from his wine.

“You need to find yourself a woman and not concern yourself with my affairs,” Nikki replied. While the two continued with idle banter back and forth Allegra was once again led out to the dance floor. This time it was her father in law who asked her to dance.

“I could have you lashed for this.” When Jon spoke to her, his face bore a false smile to mask his disdain.

“Pardon me?” Allegra replied.

“Have you no idea what you’ve done?” he asked as he slowly twirled his daughter in law.

“No. “I’m sorry, I don’t.”

“You’ve embarrassed my son on one of the most important nights of his life. The paint on your face and that dress make you look nothing short of a tramp right now and not a future Queen. Have you no shame?” Allegra could feel her face burn as it flushed red with color. “I am not ashamed. Women wear make up every day and my dress is in fashion.”

“Harlots wear make up every day and your dress is showing too much. One would get the impression that you are trying to suggest something.” Allegra stepped back from her father in law and excused herself. Matthew noticed that his wife had abruptly walked off the dance floor and out to the terrace and quickly approached his father.

“What was that about?” He asked.

“That was about your wife not knowing her place in society.” Matthew stood there shaking his head.

“Just what did she do wrong?” Jon laughed trying to hide the fact that he and his son were having a heated discussion and grabbed his arm lightly leading him off the dance floor over to a corner.

“Your wife looks like a whore for the taking.” Jon ran his hands through his hair in frustration. “Are you blind to what she is wearing and have you noticed the blush on her cheeks?”

“I’ve noticed.” Matthew nodded.

“You’ve noticed and you don’t see fit to drag her upstairs and make her wash her face and put on something more appropriate?” Matthew breathed a sigh and stuffed his hands into his pockets. “This is a perfect example of why I left home.”

Matthew walked away from his father and headed towards the terrace in search of his wife. “Matthew!” Simone stepped in front of her brother and gave him a loving hug. “I’ve missed you so much!” Simone was home from boarding school and it was evident that she adored her brother.

“Well, forgive my manners. Have we met?” He said.

“It’s me, Simone,” his sister stood before him looking at him as if he had just lost his mind. Matthew held his hand to his stomach and laughed.

“You should see the look on your face, Sim Sim.” He’d called her that since the day she was born.

“Oh you!” She slapped his arm and he laughed.

“We’ll catch up later; I have to go take care of something.” Simone gave her brother a light jab before he walked away.

When he stepped out on to the terrace, he closed the doors behind him to give them some privacy. “Did you come out here to scold me too?” She asked bitterly.

“No. I came out here to smoke a cigar,” he said taking one from the pocket on the inside of his jacket.

“Could I have one?” She asked.

Matthew raised his eyebrow and reached into his jacket again as she leaned back against the railing. He handed her the cigar and watched her as she rolled it between her fingers. “So, you’ve smoked before?” he asked.

“No, I’ve just always wondered what it was like.” He nodded and lit his cigar.

“Watch me,” he told her as he put the cigar to his lips so she wouldn’t choke when she took her first drag. He lit her cigar and she emulated what he had done. At first she coughed a little bit, but then she got the hang of it.

“So, you play piano, you read books, ride horses bareback and show way too much cleavage. Is there anything else I should know?”

Allegra took the cigar out of her mouth and held it between her fingers. “I like to say swear words when no one is around.” She said matter of fact.

“Really, do tell your favorite,” he smiled.

“Fuck! I say it all the time when ever I find a reason.” Matthew couldn’t help the chuckle that escaped him.

“What else?”

“Well, I like to walk around barefoot.”

“Blasphemous!” he teased. “Anything else?” Allegra lifted her head so that she was looking up at him.

“Sometimes I sneak into the kitchen and have a snack before dinner.” He brought his hand to his mouth faking a shocked expression.

“You rebel!” She laughed knowing he was teasing her.

“Once I swam in the river completely naked.” Now it was he who nearly choked on his cigar.

“And just how did that make you feel?” he asked.

“Free. It’s the best feeling in the world when you don’t have to think and don’t have to pretend to be something to make everyone else happy.” He nodded knowing exactly how she felt.

“Where would you be right now if you had the choice to be any where else?”

“That’s simple. I would be looking for M Shadows.”

“Why?” he asked curious to know why she was so fascinated with his altar ego.

“Because he is my match. His words touch me. They make me feel things I’ve never felt before and I have never even met him. He says what he wants without fear or regret and I will find him one day and profess my feelings before him.”

“Don’t you think that will be a little hard given your fate?”

“No. I don’t want to be Queen. I don’t want any of this.” She shook her head adamant that he understood her.

“So, you would throw away all of the wealth and the royal title for a man you’ve never met?”

“Yes.” She nodded.

“What if he looks like an ogre?” Matthew asked bringing his cigar back to his lips.

“What do looks have to do with it? It shouldn’t matter what a person looks like.” She replied.

“This from the girl who is wearing make up and a gown that shows all she has to offer.” Allegra threw her cigar down on the ground and stepped on it.

“Are you going to have me lashed too?”

“No. Why?”

“Your father implied that he would. He said my appearance embarrassed you.”

Matthew shook his head. “My father is a little behind the times. Unfortunately for you, we have to go back inside. It is required that we have a dance together alone.” Allegra rolled her eyes and after he put out his cigar she followed him back to the ballroom where they danced their first dance together. To those watching, it would appear that they were happily married.