‹ Prequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Active

Me or the Music?

13

Marie's POV

After breakfast that Matt cooked, I went back upstairs, but to the study this time. I shut the door behind me and sat down at the computer. Matt said he was going to take as shower and call Brian to see if he wanted to come over later with Jackie. I spun the computer chair a few times and sighed. I reached under the desk to the trash can. I pulled it closer and grabbed the bottle and container that was inside it. Matt barely ever used the study, he always took is music work down to the basement or over someones house.

I smiled as the glass was cold against my skin. I opened the top and took a long drink, the liquid burnt my throat, it burnt all the way down to my stomach. But it felt so good. Whiskey was on of my escapes. I couldn't bear the thought of life lately and this was my escape. I took another long drink and quickly placed it back into the hiding spot, opening the top drawer and taking a handful of mints and chewed them to get rid of the smell.

I opened the container and took two of the pills out, I dry swallowed them and tilted my head back to help them down. I had found someone at my work who sold pills, so to add to the stress relief, Oxycodone was on my list of relaxing methods. I placed the box back with the whiskey bottle and shove it under the desk.

I turned the computer on and began scrolling through online shopping sites so if Matt happened to come in it didn't look suspicious. I had been doing this same thing over and over for weeks. Since I dropped the divorce paper work I had been drinking and taking Oxy. Wake up to sleep. I had confided in Sasha from work about it, just the drinking half, and she told me to take as much time as I needed off to figure it out, my job would be waiting. I thanked her and told her I would let her know. In the mean time... With the house issue, doubting our relationship, and now my parents sudden divorce. I wasn't sure which way was up or down, and obviously it was affecting me. Matt was noticing, I needed to hide it better. Because the pain ceased when I was doing both of them. It stopped. It was blissful again.

"Marie?" Matt took me from my thoughts. I was scrolling through a website of really not my style clothing as I spun the chair around "You ok?"

"Yah." I smiled as he nodded "Whats up? Brian coming over?"

"Yes, they're going to come around four, we're going to have a barbecue. Zack and Hannah are coming too." He added "Is that ok?"

"Obviously." I laughed "Yah. I'll run to the store-"

"Brian said Jackie's already out, she's going to pick some stuff up and bring it over, you don't have to go anywhere." He leaned against the doorjamb "You need anything special?"

I tapped my foot thinking, the whiskey kicking in "Nah, I think we have enough booze.."

Matt raised an eyebrow "Since when do you drink anything other than beer? And recently?"

"Whiskey." I shrugged "I don't know, have a taste for it suddenly. Don't know." I tried brushing it off "But we have enough."

"We haven't had whiskey in this house in... god knows how long. Probably since the accident." Matt stared at me "I can go run to the store though-"

"I can, it's fine." I stood up "I just have to get dressed."

"Are you sure you'll be ok?" He asked carefully, I know he was trying to not offend me but I saw through it. "I can come with you."

"It's fine, I'll be quick. It's right down the street." I perched on my toes and kissed his cheek "I love you."

"I love you more." He paused "You smell really minty." He laughed.

"I think I'm addicted to spearmint lifesavers." I pointed to the drawer where the bag hung out slightly "So good. Ok, I'll be back, any suggestions? Anything I should get extra?"

"Beer." He smirked "We haven't had beers here in a while."

"Beer, whiskey, got it." I smiled "I'll be back in a jiffy!" I ran off to our room to get changed, drink a little before I left, and then start my journey.

~**~

Later that afternoon while everyone was at the house, I for once didn't have to hide the fact I was drinking. Everyone was. I hid how much though, while it was only five and everyone was on their first or second beer, I was on my fifth Jack and Coke, feeling pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

"Marie!" Hannah ran over and hugged me "It's been so long why don't we all still hang out?"

"Cuz adulting." I laughed "Work, family, all that fun stuff." I laughed "Just wait until kids happen.. Then we won't even know each other."

We both laughed as the guys started setting up a beer pong table "My money is on Brian." I laughed "Matt hasn't drank in so long."

"Why?" Jackie asked, cracking another beer and sitting next to me at the picnic table.

"He said something earlier about 'not since after the crash' so I'm assuming because I was hammered? I mean I know he's had a drink now and then since that... I guess just not around me." I shrugged "Honestly though, always when he's out."

"Maybe he feels it's wrong?" Hannah offered "Like, maybe he feels weird since you barely drink also? Maybe that makes him worried."

"Barely drink?" I laughed, holding up my drink "This is my fourth are you serious?"

"Fourth?" Jackie asked, eyes wide "So this one time, you should slow down."

"I'm fine." I smiled, taking a sip of my mostly Jack, Jack and Coke. I splashed some Coke in there, don't worry. Jackie gave Hannah a look and I brushed it off. "So, who wants to go watch these goons play beer pong?" I asked and got up to go grab another drink.

Matt's POV

"You're going down Haner." I smirked as Brian started to toss the ball to my side of the table.

"Nah dude, that's you. We all know how you and Marie are." He smirked, my face hardening "Or not." He shrugged "How is she anyways? Jackie and Hannah are trying to get something out of her but they're not sure how-"

"Matthew Fucking Sanders." Jackie hissed quietly as she nonchalantly came up beside me.

"Not my middle name but ok." I laughed "What now?"

"Your wife is on her fifth Jack and Coke. And Hannah just went in with her and she's barely putting any Coke in them." She stared at me "How many bottles did she buy?"

"One, and it wasn't even a handle.." I looked around for Marie "She seems fine." I noticed Hannah walking over as Marie lingered talking to Zack at the grill. "What's up?" I asked as she got closer.

"She didn't even go to the kitchen." She shook her head "She went upstairs and came back with a full drink. She didn't see me watching, but I was in the kitchen.." She trailed off as Marie walked over. A huge smile plastered on her face. A confused look in her eye, the same one.. That's...

"Hey babe." She stood next to me, holding her drink in her hands tight.

"What's that?" I pointed at her cup.

"Jack and Coke." She pointed at it "Why?"

"Can I have a sip?" I asked. She squinted at me in deep though "Marie? All I'm drinking is beer over here I wanted something different..?"

"I'll go make you one, hang on." She turned to go.

"I literally just want a sip, Marie." I held her arm, "Marie." I stared her in the eyes "How many of those have you had."

"Like two." She shrugged "They're wicked light." She handed me the drink, I raised an eyebrow and looked at Hannah who just shrugged. I took a sip "Ya good?" Marie asked stiffly as I handed her drink back.

"Thanks... Actually wanna go make me one of those?" I asked, she nodded and walked towards the house "Ok, that wasn't strong. But why was she upstairs?"

"I don't know." Hannah shrugged "I didn't see any Jack in the kitchen." She looked around as Marie re-emerged, my glass in her hand. She stumbled suddenly and righted herself, not really looking like she worried that we saw.

"You ok?" I asked as she handed me my cup, she nodded "Ok...I didn't think there was any Jack left."

"I had it in the cupboard." She smiled at Hannah, her eyes knowing. "Is that an issue? Want me to bring it out?"

"Why are you being weird?" Jackie asked "You should probably drink some water."

Marie scoffed and walked away, raising her hand and dismissing Jackie's words. I rolled my eyes and looked at Brian "Why?" I laughed "Why can't we just be a normal couple."

"Because it's you." Jackie laughed, "You fucking drive people insane... and to drink apparently."

"Shut the fuck up." I hissed as her eyes softened, realizing what she said "I'm going to check on her."

"I will." Brian put his beer down.

"No, I am. You can come, but I'm fucking going. This attitude and crap needs to stop. She's been wicked moody lately." I huffed and began walking to the door.

"Look who's talking." Brian laughed as he patted my back "It'll be fine, she's probably just drunk."

"Probably." I sighed as we entered the house.