‹ Prequel: You're Not Alone.
Status: Active

Me or the Music?

16

Matt's POV

I had to work a lot the past week, so Hannah went to hang out with Marie often so that she could keep an eye on her. She was in such a good mood lately, always up and about, trying to do so much more than she should, it concerned me. I don't know why I was being so worried, but I was. I probably should have just taken it with a grain of salt, but something was off. I knew it. I had a gut feeling, and it was bad.

I decided to come home early from recording one day, knowing Hannah had gone home a while ago, and Marie would be at the house packing. Yes, we bought that house in Huntington. She loved it so much she wouldn't stop talking about it. I bought it outright, not wanting to wait through any of the stupid bank process. Seeing as Marie was so excited she had half our current house packed in one day.

Marie's POV

I had just walked in to the bathroom, Hannah left about an hour ago. Matt had her and sometimes Jackie, come over to watch me. They said they wanted to visit, I knew better. He was treating me different and I knew he had an inkling.

I locked the door behind me, reached under the counter, and retrieved the small clear baggie from it's taped spot behind the sink basin. I opened it and poured a small amount on to the counter, lining it up carefully. I had already gone through an entire bag this morning, this was a back up that Chay had met me with mid day, I told Hannah I was going to get coffee. Which I also did, but with a swing by the office.

I sniffed up the first portion and let it sink it, swallowing it all. I let my eyes focus as the bitter taste saturated my mouth and throat. I gagged, leaning down to take the rest in. My eyes shut quickly, there had been a large piece I didn't see, neglected to crush more, and it fucking hurt.

"God, FUCK!" I screamed, hitting my hand against the side of my face.

"Marie?"

My blood chilled like ice, "Hello?" I asked loudly "Hannah?"

"Matt?" He laughed back, trying the door handle "What are you doing? You never lock the door."

I rolled my eyes "I'm going to the bathroom, Matt, what do you think I'm doing?" I began taping the bag back under the sink "I'll be out in like two seconds ok? There's uh.." I hesitated as I heard the handle jiggle more, he had taken the key from on top of the door "Coffee in the-"

"Marie?" He asked as the door swung open.

Thankfully I had taped it and quietly shut the door before he barged in. I reached for the hand soap and glared at him "Can I get some privacy?"

"I'm your husband?" He eyed me "I've been home for, like, twenty minutes and you've been in here the whole time."

"You have?" I asked, not realizing that's how long I was in here. I must have taken longer to begin the second line than I thought "Weird. I must have lost track of time." I shrugged.

"So, what were you doing?" He asked, eyeing around "The toilet didn't even flush. Once." He leaned against the doorway.

I reached over and flushed it, my head cocking to one side as I could feel my eyes dilate. I squinted, the light suddenly straining my eyes.

"There, and I was just about to wash my hands when someone busted down the door." I gestured to him "Sorry I was interrupted."

"Sorry." He looked around "You're being really weird lately."

"How the fuck so?" I asked, my tone much more harsh than I intended, way to keep a low profile Marie.

He shook his head "I'm gonna go get some coffee and try to schedule a moving truck for tomorrow ok?"

"Sounds good, sorry for snapping." I went over and took his hand, pulling him back and pecking his lips. Knowing if I had furthered it any more, the bitterness lingering on my tongue would have transferred to his mouth. "I love you Matt."

"I love you too." He kissed my cheek "Now... let's go have some coffee, and schedule this truck."

I nodded and followed him downstairs, remembering I hadn't wipe the counter off afterwards "Shit, I left my phone up there." I groaned falsely, turning around to run to the bathroom. Matt continued in to the kitchen as I ascended the stairs.

I walked in to the bathroom and wiped the counter with my hand, licking the substance off my palm before taking a hand towel to the surface. I turned and shut the door behind me, walking down the stairs. I entered the kitchen.

"Ok, so about that coffee-" I looked up as Matt stood, mouth clenched, my phone on the counter in front of him, the screen illuminated. "What?" I asked.

"First, your phone is right the fuck here." He pushed it somewhat forced across the island, towards me "Second, you have.." He glanced down, twisting his head to read the screen "Thirty-seven," He paused and glared at me "Missed calls from Chayson." His words seethed anger "And twenty-four texts." He picked up my phone as it rang. "Hello? Chayson? Oh, Chay." He corrected himself and kept his eyes pierced on mine "She's not, actually. She's upstairs-... this is her husband.. oh you did? Oh ok. Can I take a message for her?.. Oh you will be?" His face immediately reddened, his fist clenching tighter around my phone, his eyes turning a darker version of his normally dark brown ones "I'll definitely let her know, Chay, have a great day."

He slammed my phone to the counter, I could hear the glass crack beneath his palm. His face turned up at me and he let out a blood chilling laugh. My body quivered; either that or the drugs I just ingested were kicking hard... Or both.

"Can you explain that?" He asked, pointing at my phone. The screen had been perfectly fine.. That's when I realized a split in the wooden cabinet beneath the counter. Fuck.

"Matt-" He cut me off by throwing, not just tossing, firing, my phone at the floor. "Matt!"

"Oh! OH!" He screamed, pounding his fists in to the counter "Am I supposed to apologize?" He screamed towards me, keeping himself on the opposite side of the counter from me "Apologize for fucking picking that up?! Explain yourself!" He slammed his fists down, the counter cracked further.

"I used to work with him, Matt, he said it would help me with us-"

"Help you?!" He screamed "Just how is that supposed to help us?!" His eyebrows knitted together. "What the.. What the fuck." He shook his head laughing "How could you?"

"Wait.. what the fuck?" I asked "What are you even talking about?" I asked "What did he fucking say?"

Matt's face softened, ever, ever so slightly "That he could meet you tomorrow afternoon.." He paused "How could you?"

"You think I'm cheating on you?" I asked, my eyes widening. "Matt!" I shouted "I would never fucking do that!" His face was confused "Matt, baby... I would never, ever, ever, cheat on you baby." I walked over, completely ignoring the fact he was shaking his head at me "I love you with all my being. I could never even think of that.." I snaked my arms around his waist, his body rejecting my embrace.

"Marie, what the fuck are you doing?" He gently pushed me backward, staring at me "What is going on? Why is he calling you trying to meet up with you? Why.. you don't even work there any more." His face was completely confused.

I sighed, thinking quickly on my feet before he could think any more "He's helping me put together an anniversary... not present, but, like, surprise..." I sighed, rubbing my neck "I didn't want you to find out.." I cued the tears "I wanted to do something nice, and surprise you.. He's been helping me with ideas, and destinations. You've been nothing but supportive of me, and helpful lately.. I really wanted to surprise you, Matt. I didn't want it coming up like this." Tears crept from my eyes, "Please don't be mad-"

"Oh, Marie." His arms tightened around me, my face pressing in to his chest, hiding the smirk playing on my lips "I'm sorry babe... I... I'm so sorry. I'm sorry for ruining that.."

"I just wanted to surprise you." I sniffled "His family travels a lot, his sister and her husband vacation a ton, so I was getting pointers from them.. We would meet getting coffee and look over places on his computer.."

"Marie, shh," Matt hushed, "It's ok, I'm sorry.. Please forgive me?" He asked, kissing the top of my head. I looked up at him, wiping the forced tears from my cheeks "Please?"

"I forgive you Matt..." I kissed his cheek "Please... I would never cheat on you baby, I want this with you.. I want a family.." I smiled at him as he wiped my cheeks dry "I love you."

"I love you too." He smiled "I'm going to go shower and change, we should go out tonight."

"Ok." I smiled as he kissed my cheek and walked out of the room. I smirked to myself, turning and grabbing my phone, thanking GOD he hadn't gone through my texts from Chay. I texted him back, letting him know to never text me about the drugs or anything, always call. I explained the Matt issue and he apologized. I deleted the thread and called him back as soon as the shower turned on upstairs. Wondering where and when he could meet me next so I could get more.
♠ ♠ ♠
So. A million years later, I found this and decided to finish the undone chapters I had on my old computer. A little more added to them, but going the same way I always wanted it to. Sorry it took so long (not that anyone's even reading this, probably more for my own sanity am I doing this...)

It's been a fucking weird few years. Weird. But anyways... if anyone HAPPENS to stumble upon this and read it, I hope you enjoy it? I'm going to try to finish it up in the next few weeks.

- Jb