Big Boys and Little Girls

Stairway to

I walked up to the cafeteria and he was standing there at the top of the stairs. I didn’t notice him at first. I was just clearing my head after thinking too much. So, I was shocked. And that shock went straight to my chest. I averted my eyes, but, that only made him walk down and stand in front of me to make me stop and look at him. I looked at him reluctantly and he smirked at me. I cocked my head to the side and waited for a response. We stayed like that for a while and then of course it got awkward and so I tried to step around him and of course he grabbed me by my waist and stopped me again. He leaned against the railing and sighed.

“Why are you avoiding me and everyone else for that matter?” I really hadn’t thought about it that way, but I really wasn’t trying to avoid people. I had been thinking too much and so I went for a walk and I hadn’t felt hungry so I didn’t stop at the lunch room. I see how that can look evasive but really I’m not trying because there‘s a problem.

“I just wanted to be left alone.”

“You have told me countless times how you don’t like to be left alone. Is there something bothering you?” he asked. I shook my head no and he put his hand on my head and made me nod.

“So, what is it?” I glared at him and moved his hand and forgetting he still had his arm around me I stepped back only to have him follow and push me against the ledge. Like the dramatic idiot I am I looked back even though I knew I wouldn’t fall. The ledge is a foot or so thick of cement. The worst I could have done was got a concussion or a minor headache. I heard him chuckle.

“Don’t be afraid little girl, I’ll catch you.” I looked into his eyes and they were so pretty. I wish there was a better word that would mean what I meant and still sound less grade school and more high school. Pretty is for shiny things…. Well, when I thought that I smiled and a little giggle escaped my lips. Then, I noticed they were really close to his and that put that awkwardness back in the air.

People were done eating inside and were starting to file outside to sit and talk, and for some kids copy notes and compare homework answers. I pushed him away and he took my bag. I was too busy thinking and didn’t hear or notice him unstrapping it from across my shoulders. He strapped it back as he walked to where I would be waiting for my friends to come out. When he looked at me I actually looked back this time. I at some point was curious as to why he wasn’t with his friends either. He obviously was doing the same thing I was and when he saw me, he thought I would be the perfect distraction. As far as I can tell I was and am. And he was being the same for me.

“So, how are you?” I asked nonchalantly. Like he was completely not just flirting with me a minute ago in his mysterious, pretty eyes way. He smirked again and there was that pain in my chest again.

“I have been better.” he answered.

“What’s making you worse?” I asked leaning closer to him. He scooted closer to me and grabbed my hand. He lifted it first to his chest.

“I just have been thinking too much…….,” he started before moving my hand up to his forehead, “ and I have been getting headaches for a while now. I just want the ache gone.”