Letters to the Other Side

17/02/09

Dear Jensen,

I would like to start this letter off by introducing myself to you, for I am quite confident that you haven’t got a clue who I am nor why I am writing to you.

My name is Avril and I am 15 years old. My family say I have a wide vocabulary and am quite wise for my age. I’m not very tall and I’m not really a fan of people. When I say people, I don’t mean every single person who ever lived; but yes, I am talking about the average Joe Blow and I am praying that you are not like them.

You see Jensen, I’ve told you my name, age and height; I’ve also told you that I’m smarter than most people, but I haven’t told you what I look like, neither the reason that I am writing this letter to you and not Jane Doe next door.

Well I suppose I should start telling you that before you throw this piece of parchment away… My last name is Fulu, which is a common name in the Maldives, which is where my father was born. I was in the line at Safeway the other day and a man came up to me and asked if I was with the lady in front of me. I thought, “Clearly I’m not. For one, She’s from India and I live two blocks away!” But then it hit me, we were both ark skinned with brown eyes and black hair. Bet you’d never believe that my mother is English with pasty white skin, sun bleached hair and blue eyes the colour of the sea.

I sometimes wonder what my future husband would think if I bore him a blonde hair blue eyed baby… I mean, there is the possibility that I might, and that my friend; would spin some heads.

So what are you like Jensen? What colour is your skin? I really hope you reply to this letter and don’t treat me like so invading terrorist – because I’m not! I was born right here in Melbourne at the Freeman’s hospital.

Yours sincerely,

Avril Fulu