Status: Rewriting.

Half In Love

My World;

I laid in bed, looking up at the ceiling. The tree outside of my window was playing tricks on me, making me think I was seeing things that weren’t really there – birds, monsters, people, all sorts of things. I just lay there, making out all of the shapes and making fantastic images in my head, giving them stories; lives.

Deciding sleep was out of the question, I sighed to myself, sitting up and looking around my room. Carlisle’s head popped right up, looking at me, completely alert and nosey out of his little head.

“I’m sorry, buddy; I didn’t mean to scare you,” I cooed, petting at the spot between his ears that he favored so much. I laughed as he fell over and rolled onto his back, urging me to scratch his belly, and I did so. I scratched away for a good ten minutes before he decided that he had to use the bathroom, in which he quickly hopped off my bed and ran for dear life towards the hallway bathroom.

I smiled and stood up, heading to the kitchen to make some tea.

“Kers, you up?” my roommate, Jodi, asked from the small living room. I could see the top of her head and the ends of her long legs hanging off of the couch.

“Yeah,” I answered, “You want some tea?”

“Sure, why not?” She sighed, closing the book she had been reading for her Psychology class. “Do we have any strawberry, though? You have me absolutely hooked.”

I laughed. “Nope, just herbal; I’ll get some more from the Oriental Market down the street tomorrow, though.” I made a mental note to myself, hoping that I didn’t forget tomorrow – well, later today – and popped one of the cups into the microwave.

I stood there for a good few minutes until the microwave went off and I changed them, handing Jodi her mug.

“What’s on your mind, Ke?”

I looked at Jodi, seemingly baffled, but I had figured she’d ask me – she is, after all, a Psychologist in training.

I shook my head, grabbing my tea out of the microwave, and turned to look at her. “You know, today the craziest thing happened; after my interview Darcy and I were walking back home and we passed these two young guys doing a drug deal. I mean- I don’t know. I never really saw those things where I lived in L.A.”

Jodi nodded. She knew what I was talking about; she grew up in Brooklyn her entire life, so she was very well exposed to it all. She knew about all types of things that I could never imagine, and I want to keep it that way. I live being completely naïve to everything; it helps me sleep at night.

“It’s understandable. Naturally you wanted to do something about it, didn’t you?” I nodded. “And Darcy said no, didn’t she?” I nodded again. “You really just have to get used to it, is all.”

I sighed. “I know, but I want to help them; I want to show them that there is a better world out there, rather than drugs and alcohol. I want them to see how beautiful it is, and not how disgusting these alleyways are or how dreadful some marijuana smells; that’s not life.”

Jodi laughed. “Kersey, that’s what I’m around for.”

“I know, Jo, but I want to help them, too. I want to show them that there are good people in this world that care about them and want to clothe them, feed them, and nourish them – all of those things!” I sighed. “I guess I’m getting a little too into this, especially at four in the morning.”

“You’re right,” Jodie laughed. “We’ll talk about it tomorrow at lunch. 12 o’clock, Berry’s; don’t miss it.”

I laughed, walking back to my room. “Wouldn’t miss it for the world, Jodibear.”

Image

How I was late, I’m not sure. We lived in the same apartment for God sakes! But my shopping had called me at early hours of the morning and I just couldn’t say no – especially since I got Jodi some strawberry tea. I knew she’d be forgiving once she figured why I was late.

When I walked into Berry’s I didn’t spot her at first; her brown hair blended in with the dark atmosphere, but eventually I spotted her hair glistening in a paper lamp’s light and made my way over.

“Hey there, stranger; didn’t think you were going to make it.”

I laughed. “Of course I’d make it! I just got you something…” I dug around in my bags, looking for the tea, and dropped it in front of her. She nearly spit out her Coke.

“Oh, I love you, Kers!” she shouted, smiling from ear to ear.

“I know you do, Jo.” I laughed as the waiter walked up to us. I looked up at her, a smile still on my face. “Can I have an unsweetened tea, please?”

“Sure thing,” she beamed, turning on her heels to fetch my drink.

I sighed, content. “I think I want a calzone.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Two star hotel, where the stars don't mean anything.
- Minus The Bear