The Movies Make It Look Easy

Chapter Twenty Two

Chapter 22

Shannon’s P.O.V:

‘How was yesterday?’ I asked amiably as I passed through the living room on the way to the kitchen.
I’d just come in the door from class and I wanted nothing more than to make myself a sandwich and lie down.
Art History had absolutely drained me.
It didn’t look as though Nick had been to class yet from the way he was lounging lazily on the couch and he definitely hadn’t been out of bed when I dragged myself, half asleep out the door at half eight this morning with half a piece of toast smothered in jam in one hand.
I only got a grunt in response.

Glancing at the screen as I walked, I stifled my laughter when I saw what he was watching.
‘I didn’t know you were a Gleek’ I said my tone humorous.
I stopped behind the couch and we both watched as Rachel stormed out of Glee – again. I leaned forward, resting my elbows on the back of the couch beside Nick’s head, my chin resting on my hands.
He glanced at me, frowning.
‘What the hell is a Gleek?’ he asked sceptically.
I just laughed.

We both watched as the cast burst into song. I hummed along having already seen the episode.
He glanced at me again, smirking.
‘What?’
‘I’m just thinking about how cool you are, singing along to a Glee song’
‘Glee is an amazing show’ I retorted ‘and besides, you’re the one who’s watching it, not me’ I protested when his smirk grew.
He yawned nonchalantly ‘it’s either this or ads’
We watched a bit more of the song,
‘But maybe I should start watching it, if you say it’s amazing...’ he trailed off, his voice dripping with sarcasm.
I gently cuffed him around the back of the head,
‘Watch it mister!’
‘Or what?’ he smirked again as the credits began to roll
‘Or, I’ll...uh...’ I stayed quiet, trying to think of a sufficient punishment for him dissing Glee.
Finally grinning, I continued,
‘I’ll sit on you!’ I announced.
He turned to face me, one eyebrow raised, lips twitching.
‘You’ll...you’ll sit on me?’
‘Yes, I will’ I said managing to keep a straight face.
‘I’m practically shaking’ he chuckled.
‘Hey! I’m being serious’
‘I’m sure you are’ he smiled kindly – condescendingly.
‘You’re this close’
I lifted my thumb and index finger up with only a sliver of a distance between them to show him, ‘to me sitting on you’
I straightened up and made for the kitchen. I was stopped after only two steps by the loud sound of his ringing laughter.
‘I’m so scared’.

Next thing he knew, I was jumping on top of him. I landed on his lap and he exhaled in surprise.
I smirked ‘I warned you’
His arms – unconsciously – wrapped around my waist.
‘So how is this supposed to be torture?’ he enquired.
I could hear the smirk in his voice without looking. I leant back, making myself comfortable against his chest with my head against his shoulder.
‘Just wait’ I assured him as I started flicking through the channels looking for something to watch.
His phone vibrated beside us on the arm of the couch and after a brief scuffle, I managed to grab the phone.
After a quick glance at the caller ID, I answered it.
‘Hey Mark’
I felt Nick’s arms tighten around me and he rested his chin on top of my head. I had a hard time concentrating on continuing to flick through the channels, looking for something to watch. I passed by all the ads – I hate ads – until I found an old episode of Friends to watch.
I laid the remote on my lap as Nick’s sigh at my choice of programme ruffled my hair.

I finally focused on the phone still pressed to my ear.
‘Shannon?’ Mark’s voice sounded distorted over the phone but I’d recognise his cheeky, confident voice anywhere.
‘The one and only’ I replied happily, any fatigue I’d felt when I’d come in from class had disappeared and I was in a good mood – I wonder why...
‘Umm, did I call the wrong number by any chance?’
‘Nope’ I chirped, popping the “P”
‘Then why are you answering Nick’s phone?’ he laughed.
I shrugged, then remembered he couldn’t see me,
‘I got there first’
‘Well as much as you know I love to talk to you Sweetcheeks, can I speak to Nick?’ there was a beep in my ear telling me his phone was low on battery.
‘Nope’ I said again.
‘Is he not there?’
‘He is’
I refused to elaborate and he paused, as if hoping I’d tell him what was going on without him having to ask.
Eventually admitting silent defeat, he sighed and asked the obvious question,
‘If he’s there, why can’t I talk to him?’
‘Because I’m punishing him for dissing Glee’
He snorted ‘and how would you be, uh...punishing him?’
I rolled my eyes – forgetting again that he couldn’t see me – because it was obvious from the tone of his voice how he thought I was “punishing” Nick.
Men! I thought wearily as I rubbed the bridge of my nose.
‘Now, now! Get your mind out of the gutter Mark, it’s nothing like that’ I chided him, causing Nick’s chest at my back to rumble with silent laughter, obviously he had picked up on what Mark had said.
I paused dramatically, ‘I’m sitting on him!’
There was a short pause before he started to laugh.
Again there was that irritating beep in my ear.
‘That’s um, kinky’ he said finally.
I snorted,
‘I don’t think you’d be able to handle me being kinky Mark’ I practically purred.
I was finding it hard to stay quiet when all I wanted to do was laugh. Even over the phone I could hear his sharp intake of breath, mirrored almost exactly by Nick as he shifted on the couch, moving me with him.
‘Can’t think of anything to say?’ I said, sotto voce when Mark didn’t answer. Eventually he spoke.
‘Do you want to put that to the test Sweetcheeks?’ Mark asked in a low voice.
I giggled ‘maybe someday...if you’re lucky’ I answered playfully –
Was that Nick tensing I could feel?
After I’d announced to Mark that I was sitting on him, Nick had leaned his ear close to the phone, listening to our conversation. A quick glance at him showed a disapproving expression etched onto his face.
I leaned back so I was more tightly pressed against him as his arms wrapped themselves more firmly around me.
I almost missed Mark’s reply as the phone beeped for the third time.
‘I hope that day comes soon, Sweetcheeks’
‘So you wanted to speak to Nick? Can I pass on a message?’ I asked brightly, steering the conversation into clearer – or cleaner – waters.
‘Yep, I just wanted to let him know – both of you actually – that-‘
Unfortunately the battery died just before he could finish his sentence. I huffed at how inconvenient the timing was.
‘Any idea what that was about?’
Nick shrugged ‘not a clue’.

We watched Friends in silence for a while before he cleared his throat.
‘So you know this punishment of mine?’
I nodded sleepily against his shoulder (I was really comfortable)
‘What is actually supposed to happen that’s such a horrible punishment?’
I chuckled ‘just wait’ I said again
‘For?’ he enquired.
‘For my superior weight to kick in’
I used my best evil voice – I think it’s safe to say I failed horribly.
‘Superior weight?’ he asked sceptically
‘Yup’
‘Superior weight to whom?’ he asked, bemused.
‘Yours of course’ I said it like it was the most obvious thing in the world.
‘Sorry to burst your little bubble Sweetheart, but somehow I doubt you’re heavier than me’
My insides clenched.
‘I dunno bout that...’ I inhaled deeply for effect,
‘You’re pretty skinny’ I finished slowly.
‘Excuse me?’ he sounded slightly horrified – points to me!
‘I said, “You’re pretty skinny”’ I enunciated each word clearly,
‘I’m...skinny?’ he sounded offended –
I’d hit the nail on the head, I thought gleefully, guys were just as body conscious as girls, this was his punishment.
‘Yep’ was all I said though.
‘I’m not skinny’ he said indignantly.
I sat up; turning so I could face him.
‘Aww honey’ I crooned ‘is that what people told you?’
I looked at him sympathetically. He narrowed his eyes,
‘Take it back’ he pouted.
‘Okay’ I said in mock submission,
‘If that’s what you want to believe...’ I trailed off, smiling at him again,
‘Anything to help you sleep at night I suppose.’
I shrugged as if I didn’t care either way.

He narrowed his eyes further and his tongue ran slowly along his bottom lip, my eyes helplessly following the movement.
‘Admit’ he said slowly ‘that I’m not skinny’.
Now it was my turn to raise my eyebrow.
‘Or what?’ I asked mockingly.
His arms pulled me closer, my hands trapped between us.
‘Or you’ll be punished’ his voice was almost a whisper.
Unbidden, thoughts of his tongue running along his full bottom lip sprang to mind. I banished the embarrassing thoughts from my mind, hoping I wasn’t blushing.
Instead, I replied coolly and steadily, my voice not betraying my inner thoughts – and hopes? –
‘I’m practically shaking’ I said softly, echoing his earlier statement.
His eyes glinted, and I saw the gold and green flecks in them once again become more prominent.

Without warning he started to tickle me.
I hadn’t been expecting it and for the briefest of moments I sat still, impervious to his fingers at my sides, before my brain realised what was happening and I started to laugh, squirming as I tried to get off him but he just held me tighter against him as tears formed in my eyes from laughter.
I begged him to stop but he wouldn’t listen and continued relentlessly.
It was unbearable; I was exceptionally ticklish. I tried to pull his hands off me but they wouldn’t budge as he continued to tickle me mercilessly.
With my muscles beginning to hurt from my helpless laughter and tears streaming down my face, I grabbed the nearest cushion and hit him over the head with it.
I used his momentary distraction to pull myself from his arms.
It worked – kind of – I managed to half pull myself up but I tripped on the corner of the small coffee table, pulling Nick with me.

We both landed on the floor – with him on top of me. He managed to catch himself with his hands before his entire weight landed on me.
Thank God, I thought because – despite what I’d said – he was quite heavy, though none of it was fat.
Propping himself on his elbows, he looked down at me.
‘Do you take it back? Or...’ he grinned mischievously ‘do I need to punish you again?’
He didn’t seem to be averse to that idea, judging by his expression.
I pouted, I hated having to admit defeat and I hated losing an argument even more.
‘Fine’ I said it so quietly I could barely hear myself.
‘What was that?’ he smirked and I couldn’t help thinking how much I loved that smirk.
My fingers itched to reach out and lightly touch the corner of his mouth, to caress the line of his smirk.
I didn’t though.
Instead I replied to his question,
‘I said “fine”’ I said slowly, the words struggling to come out –
I didn’t want to admit defeat but I had no doubt that true to his word, he’d tickle me again and I couldn’t let that happen.
‘Fine what?’
I glared at his smug look. ‘You. Are. Not. Skinny’
I briefly touched his stomach where I knew his very defined six-pack lay, as if to back up what I was saying.
The slightest tremor ran through him at my touch. I smiled, my heart thudding, but far from being embarrassed, he returned my smile.
‘In fact’ I added ‘you’re the fattest person I know’
‘So now I’m fat?’ he mock growled.
We both burst out laughing.

I don’t know how long we lay there laughing but we were roused from our bubble of happiness like a child popping a balloon by someone uncomfortably clearing their throat.
Nick looked up quicker than I did and I barely registered his jaw tensing and his smile dropping before I was looking at the upside-down image of Lee, fidgeting uncomfortably in the doorway – his face red.
I didn’t know whether it was from anger or from just being uncomfortable.

Crap! I thought.

********************************************************************

TEASER FOR CHAPTER TWENTY THREE!!!

"I nodded, still smiling as we stared at eachother for a moment before we both retreated into our respective rooms, shutting the doors behind us but leaving the connection between us just as strong as if there was no distance between us at all."

********************************************************************
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooo drama! Lol
I kinda like this chapter...well I like any chapter that Shannon and Nick are getting along really...: D
comment, please?
and what do you think of the teaser?!?!

Kaz xoxo