Status: In the makings...

Are You Scared Yet?

Dix-Huit.

I yawned, stretching out my arms. To my astonishment, there was a brilliant scent, an O negative type—my favorite—at my side. I lifted the sheets that she was asleep under to see who she was. To be honest, I haven’t had a drink in what seems like forever. I’ve been lasting on blood caps for quite awhile.

M—Marie! That’s right! When I saw that it was her who was next to me, I recalled all of what happened yesterday. How could I have been so stupid…? No, I just forgot is all; this isn’t my normal lifestyle. But why would I even think about draining her, or even taking a sip?

It was at that second that I shot right up, hopping out of bed.

Keith rubbed his eyes open, yawning as he turned on the lamp by his bedside. “Brendan, is something wrong?”

I shook my head, but I answered as if there was. “I… I determined her scent! I used to not be able to.” I sat on Keith’s bed and grabbed his shoulders, shaking him lightly in excitement. “Keith, I broke the barrier!”

He gave me a warm smile, grasping me and pulling me in to give me a hug. “I’m glad to hear that, Brendan. I really am.”

I accepted his hug right away. When it comes down to it, Keith is the father I never had. My father was always busy and always gone, whether for girls—which he only went after after his real wife, my mother, died—or for business. My father didn’t know what to do with me, and he used to let me run loose. One day, I found Keith alone on the side of the street outside the castle’s barrier, and I knew right away he was a homeless man who was bitten yet not drained by a vampire; whoever it was, they must’ve been distracted or not thirsty. He had already gone through the pain of transformation, hiding in an alley in shame and confusion.

I ended up taking him in—raggedy clothes and all—to the mansion and introduced him as a friend. Sure, it may have seemed foolish, but no one would go against what I said. I was the king’s son.

Even though I was only a little boy at the age of six, and he was a full grown man, he didn’t hurt me and was kind. He accepted my generous offers, and was hired by my father later on to watch over me as my servant. Since then, he’s own up to his life on the streets, and has treated me with nothing much fatherly love. As sappy as it sounds, that gesture I made as a lonely little boy was probably one of the best choices of my life.

When I loosened my clutch, he did to, and we both glanced at Marie who was in a ball on the bed in slumber. “I’m glad you’ve got things settled out.” He sighed.

“But Keith,” I said, interrupting the happiness for a moment with a concerned tone. “You told her I wouldn’t, that no one will bite her. That’s not true, the ceremony you talked about… we are going to tell her about it before it happens.”

Keith nodded, replying, “I was just trying to settle her mind. I didn’t mean to lie, but I meant it for the moment. I’ll tell her once we get to the mansion. Which reminds me, the law and your father knows about her. They are arranging the ceremony to occur in three days.”

“Three days?!” I snapped, almost wakening Marie. She moaned and tossed for a moment, but then settled back down. My tone grew quieter. “Wha—why? Ugh… things are beyond rushed in my family…”

“That’s the Lexington’s for you.” He smirked. “Which reminds me, today, you’ll be staying in the suite. I’m going to go out with Marie today to get her what she’d like.” I gave him a puzzling look so he continued. “I’m going to take her dress shopping, and I’m paying for it all on my own paycheck. I know she would rather have me take her than whatever stranger would back at the mansion. They aren’t kind at all. They would mock any imperfection she possesses.”

I had to hold in my laughter at the thought of it. Keith and Marie, dress shopping? I know it’s just for her, but…but nothing. I needed to be mature, and do what’s best for her. Besides, I know that in no way Keith is a drag or a cross dresser. Never. It just sounds strange when someone with such a manly voice says that. “Alright, but your own pay check? Surely I can pull out some mone—”

“Then they’ll suspect it.” Keith interrupted. “If she shows up with a dress in her possession, then they can’t stop it. Otherwise, they would. But beyond that point, I’m going to take her out of town to a more elegant, sufficient store. It’ll be expensive, but I’ve got it covered. Only the best for your heroine, Brendan.”

I know that Keith is wise and meant what he said, so I didn’t question him. This time, I was the one who pulled him in for a hug, and he just pat my back as I released my hold. “Thank you, Keith. Really.”

Marie rolled her neck, then perked up out of bed. “Hey, why are you two up? What’s going on?” She yawned, stretching under the sheets.

Keith smiled, and responded sincerely. “We’re going dress shopping, Marie.”

I bursted out laughing on the spot.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, I admit it, I'm bad.
I was supposed to speed things up and get them moving.
But.. I wanted Keith and Marie to get closer.
Maybe she'll understand the bond between in and Brendan as they look at dresses? ;D Poor Brendan get's left behind on the fun. ;)

Anyways, just one more chapter. Then things will kick into gear.
Promise. :D

Things vital to life:
Air. Food. Water. Shelter. Comments.