Espionage

Chapter Seven

The woods seemed like the only place where I could just get away from everyone and everything. It gave me a chance to catch my breath and to think. Usually, the things I thought about didn’t matter. Nothing was going to change the predicament I had gotten myself into. Not that I would want it to, anyway. But, I couldn’t help but wonder what I would be doing at home. Would Fredrick have taken the extra step and asked for my hand in marriage? I knew he had fallen deep for me and that is what tugs at the back of my mind. Could I have led a comfortable life as his wife and had children and a home and everything I’m supposed to have? Would my father accepted me if I had done this? All these questions will go unanswered as time continues to go by. In all honesty, no matter how much my patience dwindled, I missed Fredrick. Even if he was a Nazi. He didn’t do it because a hatred towards anyone, he only joined the service for his country, as a lot of the men did. He just went with it and I was not okay with that, but alas, the longing that I now have for that companionship will probably remain void until this is over; my life or the war.

***

“Admit it, Princess. You’ve got some kind of attraction towards me. I know it. If I were to disappear right now, you would blame yourself for not giving me a chance.” Donny’s fists were on his hips as he looked down at me. Ever since I held a knife to his throat, he’s been heckling me. I regret not taking the opportunity to slit his throat. I rolled my eyes up to look at him without moving my head.

“Believe me, I could do vithout your face, Donny, and to zave myself ze trouble of mentioning ze points in detail, I could do vithout you altogezer!” I stood up and got in his face, well, his chest, seeing as I was a good foot shorter than him. I still held a defiant glare in my eyes.

“Somehow, I don’t think you’re telling the truth about that.” He held a smirk on his handsome face as one of his large hands stroked my cheek. I will admit, like I just said, that he is handsome and given different circumstances, I might have given him a second look, but I really wanted to scalp him at this point. He suddenly wrapped his large hands around my waist and pulled me into his chest. My arms were the only thing blocking me from full contact. His thumbs rubbed my hips and my eyes widened. What the hell was he doing? “I know you feel something, Princess.” Was he seriously coming on to me?

Deciding to play along with him, I moved my arms from in between us and wrapped them around his neck. I heard gasps all around us. I put a fake smile on my face and took the nasty glare off of my features. I played with the hair at the nape of his neck, twirling it around. He let out a small groan and closed his eyes.

“I knew you’d come around.” He said lowly. I had to admit, I loved the way his hair felt as my fingers ran through his silky black hair. He opened his eyes and looked down at me. They burned with such intensity as they bore through me. His smirk had dulled down to a lopsided grin. Before I knew it, his head was lowering to mine and slowly, but surely, his soft lips met mine. I heard Basterds dropping whatever they had in their hands. I found myself kissing back, enjoying myself. My hands loosened from his hair, down to his shoulders and gripped lightly. Before he knew what was happening, my knee came into contact with his stomach. His eyes snapped open and he hunched over. The Basterds started laughing hysterically as I kneeled down eye to eye with him. I licked my lips, they still tasted of him. He looked devastated as his brown orbs started through my hazel ones. I grabbed his chin lightly in my right hand and held he head straight.

“Ve can’t keep putting ourselves in zese situations. You must learn to control yourzelf.” I said sardonically as I pursed my lips together.

“Fuck a duck, what is the matter with you, woman?!”

“You must be very frustrated.”

“Well, thank you Captain Fucking Obv-”

“You zink you can just charm me vith your looks and talk? You zink I vill just…lie down and spread my legs for you, Donovitz? American men act like dogs and for zat reason, you vill not get vat you vant from me.”

“You think American men act like dogs? You probably have a Nazi fetish you fucking Kraut! You probably get off just looking the their damn uniforms.” Donowitz snapped back. I felt my eyelids peel to the back of my skull in shock of what he just said.

“Really?” I asked, challenging him, narrowing my eyes. I wouldn’t hesitate to sling my blade across his throat if this turned physical. “In ze vords of Nicholas Chamfort ‘Love, in present day society, is just ze exchange of two momentary desires and ze contact of two skins‘ , zo I vish you vell in your endeavors on whatever you are zearching for.” I said as I rolled my eyes.

“You don’t believe in love?”

“Absolutely not.” That seemed to set him off, why? I don’t have a clue.

“You’re so high on your damn horse that you think you’re betta than everyone else! Open your eyes, you aren’t fuckin’ royalty anymore cupcake. You‘re in the world of the Basterds.” He mocked me.

“You zink you know me zo vell, don‘t you? You don‘t know me, you don‘t know my life and you don‘t know vat I‘ve been zrough. Stop acting like you feel zomezing towards me when all you’re looking for is a hussy to relieve yourzelf with!” I spat back at him.

“Girly, yer surrounded by men. We‘re all lookin’ for anythang to relive ourselves with. Donny just so happened to find yew.” Aldo cut in, making the onlookers laugh.

“You all disgust me.” I walked away from Donowitz and back to the pack I was sitting on and picked at my dirty nails. I heard leaves crackle as someone moved next to me. They grunted as they sat on the ground.

Ich weiß, dass Sie es nicht bedeuten. (I know you don‘t mean it.)” Wilhelm said as he sat next to me.

Sie wissen nichts. (You don’t know anything.)

Das so sein, aber, wenn Sie hier verlassen, kann was Sie werden tun? (That may be so, but when you get out of here, what are you going to do?)” He asked as he looked at me from the ground. I looked over to him and sighed. “Werden Sie gerade zurücksenden jeden Mann für, was Ihr Vater Sie antat? Das scheint nicht angemessen. (Are you just going to resent every man for what your father did to you? That does not seem fair.)

Wenn ich hier verlasse. (If I get out of here.)”

Warum sagen Sie das? (Why do you say that?)”

Ich plane nicht auf gehen dem Haus. (I don’t plan on going home.)”

Warum? (Why?)”

Ich habe nichts, zu nach Hause zu gehen. (I have nothing to go home to.)” I went back to picking my nails. “Was über Sie? Ich bin sicher, dass jemand wie Sie ein Familienrückseitenhaus haben würde. (What about you? I am sure that someone like you would have a family back home.)” He gave a humorless chuckle.

Nein. Ich tue nicht. (No. I do not.)” We sat in silence for a few moments. “Sie beantworteten nie meine Frage. (You never answered my question.)”

Das Leben ist nicht angemessen. Das ist warum. (Life isn’t fair. That is why.)” I got up and walked to my tent. I looked back at Wilhelm as I pulled the flap back. "Es ist nicht, was mein Vater mich antat. (It isn't what my father did to me.)" I turned back and closed the flap. I lied down on the small cot and closed my eyes, making me doze off into a much needed sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sweet baby Jesus! I woke up to 5 new comments on this story! Do you understand how happy that makes me? Do you? I don't think you do :D

I try to get this updated every night, no matter how busy I am. As I have said before, I love this story and your comments make me love it that much more.

Hans Landa: Are you mad? What have you done? I made a deal with your general for that man's life!
Aldo: Yeah, they made that deal, but they don't give a fuck about him. They need you.
Hans Landa: You'll be shot for this!
Aldo: Nah, I don't think so. More like chewed out. I've been chewed out before.