Falling Into Place

No One Knows

Kate's POV:

Why did I have that dream last night. I turned on the shower and jumped in letting the warm water wake me up. Quickly I wash my hair and go to my closet. It was just a dream...dreams don't mean anything. Or it was a coincidence, I was probably thinking about how much I was going to dread tutoring him. That's definitely it. Without realizing, my feet had taken me downstairs and my mother was talking at me.

"Huh?" I broke in.
"I said is there anything going on in school today?" My mother asked impatiently as she tossed another dish in the sink.
"I don't know mom, I'm not at school yet."
"You know, you need to lose this attitude lately." Not at all in the mood to fight, I roll my eyes.
"Whatever...I have to go, I'm going to be late." I throw my plate in the dish water and walk out the door.

Stop thinking about him. Its Billie Joe Armstrong...hes going to be a burnout and work at the gas station in town. Not to mention hes obnoxious. He cant be that good of a musician...honestly.
I pass by the filled tables in the front yard of the school. Kids laughing and talking away. I haven't done that since the 5Th grade...hung out with friends. Then again I have no friends really. Jesus when was the last time I went to someones house, or talked to someone on the phone, or sat at lunch with someone?!
Where is all this coming from...that stupid dream, that meant nothing at all. Hes just Billie. Billie Joe Armstrong, the failing, obnoxious, soon to be burnout.

Okay...this is new. When I walked into my geometry class, hes sitting there staring into space like normal. So why did my stomach just do a flip! Snap the hell out of it...your not going to be friends, just a tutor. Bound by school and school alone. I exhale deeply and sit down with my books, catercorner to him. I hear him tap his pencil three times, humming a song.

"Hey, Kate." It startled me to a point where I had to make sure that was my name. I spun around and he was leaning forward towards me.
"Yeah?" His face is shocked.
"She does speak?!" Why is it that I want to laugh at him. Its really not funny...okay maybe a little bit.
"What do you want?" That came out a little more irritated than intended.
"Hey, hey, relax. I just wanted to tell you that practice isn't gonna happen today. So if its ok with you,can I come work on my English paper at your house?"
"Why cant you do it at yours?" He sighed and smirked a little.
"Seriously...there is a total lack of concentration there. Too many better things I could be doing. If I'm at your house I'll have no distractions. So...can I?"
This time it was my turn to sigh, "I guess. Can you walk to my house with me instead of having to catch a ride?"
What is with the smirk...and why cant I help but notice it. "I can give you a ride, ya know?"
"Al-alright. Uhm...meet at the field house again?" He nodded once with the permanent smirk.
"Sure."

I turned back around to the board. Still slightly baffled by what just happened. What the hell...when did my palms get sweaty? I prop my head up on my hands...this is going to be different.

I went through the rest of the day, like normal. Except when I went to English Billie came out and actually said Hi to me. Stupidly, it fucked up my entire class, because I couldn't stop thinking about the face he had when he said it, or the tone of voice he said it in. Little things that normal, social, people would ignore.

Later I returned to the field house, but heard multiple voices on my way. I had totally forgotten...Erika. Of course, Billie Joe's not so pleasant girlfriend. She had dumped milk on me the last day of school in 9Th grade. Why? Well I'm not completely sure, but it landed me in the office all day. I turned the corner and she was against the wall...his tongue down her throat, like usual. He noticed my presence and pulled back, smiling and placed one more small kiss on her lips.
"I gotta go." She scrunched her face together and squeezed his arm.
"I gotta go, I'm sorry." She kissed him again on the lips with everything in her, and pushed herself away from him and the wall. I heard him groan in disappointment a little, then divert his attention to me.

"Sorry. You ready?" I swallowed and nodded. He was acting like I didn't see the make out session two seconds ago.
"Wheres your car?"
"Over here." He walked around the side and opened my door.
"Thanks." Damn my easy blushing. Your acting like you have a crush on him or something.
He jumped in his side and started the car. Immediately a blast of music came shooting out of the speakers.
"Sorry about that. But I need something to wake me up that early in the morning."
"No its okay, I play my stereo in my room. Ya know, cause I...walk."
Yeah I walk. Stop being so uptight. Talk. Remember what that is?
He grinned. "That must fuckin blow."
"Yeah. It does."

Silence swept the car, with the faint sound of music playing in the background.
"So, where do I turn?"
"Left, then go down Coventry Lane. My house number is 132." He nodded and followed my directions. Slowly we pulled up my driveway, then he indecisively chose to park on the street.
"Is anyone going to be home?" I sighed, with an eye roll and he laughed a bit.
"I'll take that as a yes then?"
I nodded. "Unfortunately." He got out and before I could move, was standing with the door open. Maybe I judged him all wrong. Hes actually a gentleman.
"Erm. Thanks."
"Mhmm."
I walked in front of him,opening the door. "Kate?"
"Yeah its me."
"Who's car is outside?"
"Uhm B-"
"Oh, who's this?" She was way to excited. Cant she just not care for once.
"Mom, this is Billie. Billie this is my mom."
She stuck out her hand and he shook it earnestly. "Nice to meet you Billie. You kids need anything? Drinks, food?"
"Mom, just...we'll be in my room. Can you maybe leave us alone...he has a paper to write."
"Oh sure sure, go ahead. I'll check in when suppers ready."
"Uh huh." I grunted and pulled Billie up the stairs to my room.
Immediately I shut the door with a sigh, then I noticed he was laughing.
"What?"
"Your moms really nice, you just seem pissed at the world."
"Yeah well, she smothers me sometimes. And my dad doesn't help...he expects more from me than I can give." He raised his eyebrows quickly and looked serious.
"My moms not around much anymore, and...my dad died when I was 10 so." You stupid douche bag...you would hit the one sensitive spot on him.
"I'm-I'm sorry. I didn't know..." He waved me away.
"Its cool. Don't worry about it. Lets just get to work...I need to start passing even a little bit."
How does he make everything sound funny, in his sarcastic tone?

We sat in silence for a moment and I could feel his eyes burning through me. Being paranoid about what exactly he was thinking, I snapped.
"What?" I didn't even have lift my head to know I startled him.
"Can I ask you a question?"
"Mhmm."
"Why don't you talk, to like...anyone?"
"Its easier to just keep it all inside trust me, no one gets angry with you."
"Yeah but no one knows anything about you, and Ive never really seen you hanging out with anyone."
"I don't know, like you said no one knows me. So they don't bother with me. They jut make up their stupid stories about what they think I'm like...which are all outrageously untrue."
"Well, now I know you." I felt my cheeks flush and saw him grin from the corner of my eye.
"Barely."
"So, why don't you let me know you?" I sigh heavily.
"From what you have said you don't seem to be a bad girl, and to tell you the truth you have been funny too, so...just let me get to know you."
I bowed my head and fiddled with notebook."There isn't that much to me...this is it."
"Whats it?"
"Homework."
"Do you listen to any music?" I shrug.
"Whatever I hear my parents playing. I like The Who, though...I heard them on the radio." I see a smile playing on his soft lips.
"Really, hmm.I just so happen to love them. How much money do you have?" He has now completely shut his English book with no intentions of opening it again tonight.
"I...don't know, why?"
"Come with me."
"What?"
"Do you trust me?"
"Yes." I answer a little to quickly for my own comfort.
"Then come with me." He picks up his bag and sticks out his hand to help me off my floor with that undeniable grin.
When I grab Billies hand, I never want to let it go.
♠ ♠ ♠
cmnts<3
I will update ASAP. Promise.