Status: Complete and edited

Two is Better Than One

All Star Game

“Do we have everything?” I asked, two weeks later as Jordan and I were getting ready to leave for the All Star Games. I had caved a week ago and told Jordan that we could go to the games. Linda and Tanya also helped talk me into it because they promised they didn’t have a problem helping with the twins if I needed it. Jordan was beyond excited that we were going even though he wasn’t playing, thanks to his injuries that prevented him from playing the first half of the season. I knew he wanted to see his brothers play, but I had a feeling that there was something else to it. I mean even Sidney and Alaina were pushing for us to go.

Jordan looked at me over the top of the car and smiled. “Yeah I think we do. The girls are dressed.” He smiled. Eric had sent us two tiny Team Staal jerseys. We decided to dress them in them now because we were going to get down there just in time for the draft.

“Alright, are we ready to go then?” I asked, double checking the baby bags.

“Yep.”

I smiled. “Then let’s get this show on the road.” Emma giggled and Karly clapped, showing they were ready to go as well. Jordan and I climbed into the car and we were on our way. As we drove, Jordan and I talked, like we did before the girls were born. Don’t get me wrong, I love our kids, but Jordan and I never got alone time like we use to.

“Oh, is Leah going to be there?” I asked, remembering that Kris was voted into the games.

Jordan smiled. “Yes she will, Vero too.”

I squealed and then winced because the girls were sleeping and I wanted to keep it that way. “Good, because I haven’t seen them in forever since I haven’t gone to a game in a while.”

Jordan grabbed my hand and gave it a squeeze. “I know, baby, and they miss you too.”

I smiled and turned the radio up just a little bit as Two is Better Than One by Boys Like Girls came on. Every time I hear this song I think of the girls.

“I choose this one.” Jordan said randomly as I sang quietly to the song.

“What one?” I asked confused.

“This song.”

“For?”

“Our first dance.”

“First dance? As in our wedding, first dance?”

He just nodded and kept his attention on the road. What was he talking about, our first dance? We have never really talked about getting married, sure we would eventually but neither of us were in a rush to do so. Right? I knew I loved Jordan with all my heart and that’s all that mattered to me. Did I want to get married? Eventually. And if Jordan were to drop to his knee tomorrow and ask me, I’d say yes in a heartbeat.

“Allie, are you okay? You’re messing with your necklace.” Jordan asked.

I looked down and sure enough I had the heart shaped pendant in my hand and I was messing with it. I only did that when I was stressed or in deep thought. I smiled at Jordan. “Yeah, I’m fine. Just thinking.”

“Are you sure?”

I leaned over the center consol and kissed his cheek. “Positive.”

I decided to take a nap since we still had about five hours to go. I rested my head against the cool window and closed my eyes. The scene that instantly filled my mind had my heart working overtime. Jordan and I, on our wedding day. Both of us holding Emma and Karly smiling into the camera. One big happy family. Not that we weren’t a happy family at the moment, but we weren’t official. Sure the girls had Staal as their last name, but I didn’t. It was safe to say that I was slightly jealous of my girls. I soon drifted into a dreamless sleep and woke up two hours later as Jordan was pulling into the parking lot of a rest area.

Jordan smiled at me as I sat up and stretched in my seat. “The girls are getting fussy. I’m guessing they need to be fed and changed.”

Sure enough the whimpering that was coming from the back quickly turned into full on crying. Cooing softly to the girls, Jordan and I got out of the car and gathered them and the diaper bag. We quickly made use of the family bathroom and changed the girls before feeding them. Once the girls were fed and changed, Jordan and I grabbed something for us to drink. Then we were on our way once again. I took the wheel so Jordan would have a chance to nap since we were going to make it just in time for the draft to start.

“Do you think Eric will choose Marc for his team?” I asked, as I merged with the traffic.

Jordan chuckled. “I’m sure he will. I mean we’re family, we know how we work together on the ice. That, plus mom has been bugging him since he was named captain.”

I laughed. “I love your mom.”

Jordan smiled and we continued to just talk. Eventually Jordan fell asleep and I smiled as a light snore filled the car. I looked in the rearview mirror and saw that Emma was asleep, but Karly was wide awake and watching the traffic pass us.

“You had enough sleeping, eh Karly?” I smiled. “Just like your mamma.” Karly clapped and my smile grew. Getting pregnant was probably the best thing that has happened to me. I loved being a mom and Jordan loved being a dad. We loved our girls so much. I continued to talk to Karly and just listened to her infant babble with a smile on my face.

A couple of hours later, I was pulling into the very crowded parking lot of the RBC Center with about forty-five minutes until the first pick was chosen. I woke Jordan up and together we got our stuff together and we were on our way inside. As we walked Jordan would get stopped by fans. I just stood to the side and smiled, offering to take the pictures for them. A few of the fans actually wanted me in the picture with them. One teenage girl even wanted the twins in it too.

“You two have such a beautiful family.” She had said before walking away. It brought tears to my eyes to know that some of Jordan’s fans didn’t hate me. But I knew that it was sadly a small number of them.

“I love you.” Jordan whispered in my ear, kissing my temple.

“I love you, too.”

****

When the draft started I was slightly nervous about the girls being too fussy, but my worries where soon put to ease as they both fell asleep in Linda and Tanya’s arms. Eric started the draft with picking Cam Ward and the place went nuts. From there on out the fun just continued. I was having fun talking to the people around me and learning who they were there with. Leah and Vero were near us so it was even more fun. When Marc was interviewed, we all couldn’t stop laughing. Linda pretended to wipe away tears when Marc said she was nervous. What Eric did next was the best.

“With our next pick we’d like to select from the New York Rangers…Henrik Lundqvist,”

I busted out laughing. “That was so wrong!” Tanya and Linda both just shook their heads laughing.

The players continued to banter back and forth and everyone was having a great time. Jonthan Toews and Patrick Kane from the Blackhawks were going at it too. It was funny to watch, but not as funny as watching Kris trip walking up the steps after being chosen by Eric.

“I am never letting him live that down.” Jordan said. Vero, Leah and I all nodded in agreement.

Finally the draft was over and we were all heading to the after party, well Henry and Linda weren’t they decided they wanted to play baby sitters to the grandkids. All three of them. It was nice to get some time out with Jordan and our friends. I was introduced to Eric’s Hurricane team mates and other NHL players. It was a great night of putting aside the rivalries and just having a great time enjoying the sport we all love. I even managed to hold a small conversation with Ovechkin without gagging or wanting to poke my eyes out.

After many hours of laughing, drinking, and having a great time the after party came to an end and everyone went to their hotels or in our case Eric’s place. When we got home all the kids were already asleep, so Jordan and I simply climbed into bed and fell right to sleep

Jordan’s POV

The past two days have been tons of fun. It was great seeing everyone come together and enjoying the one thing we all loved. Plus it was nice to have a week off from games and practices and spend time with my family. Allie was enjoying getting out of Pittsburgh for a while too, plus she’s also gotten time to actually be a twenty-one year old since my mom and Tanya have been watching the girls.

Tonight was the game and then after we were all going out, I even invited Vero, Marc-Andre, Leah, and Kris because I wanted them there tonight when I propose to Allie. I absentmindedly began playing with the ring box that was in my pants pocket right now. I was nervous, I had no idea how I was going to do it. I just knew that it was what I wanted. I asked Eric for help, but he told me what any big brother would tell their younger brother in my situation, “you gotta do it your own way”. My own way, yeah like knew what that was.

There was a knock at the door and my mom slowly opened it. “Are you ready, sweetheart?” She smiled. “We are just waiting on you.”

I took a deep breath. “Yeah, I am.”

Mom gave me a look. “Are you okay, Jordan? You seem…I don’t know, almost nervous.”

I winced, she was always good at picking up on her boys’ feelings. It made it hard for us to keep things from her sometimes. And this was one of those times, because if I didn’t tell her why I was nervous she would be worried all night long.

I took another deep breath and pulled the velvet box out of my pocket and I heard my mom gasp. “I’m planning on proposing to Allie tonight.” I told her quietly, opening the box to show her the ring.

Tears filled her eyes as she took in the ring. She looked up at me and smiled. “Oh, Jordan, I’m so happy for you.” She said, throwing her arms around me. “We love Allie and she’s good for you.”

“Thanks mom, now you and Eric are the only ones that know. I want it to be a surprise for everyone tonight.”

She pulled away and did the whole zipping her lips shut deal and I rolled my eyes. I gave the ring one final look over before shutting the box and sticking it back into my pocket. Mom was fixing her make up since she cried just a little. Soon the two of us made our way downstairs and mom smiled at me when I kissed Allie and grabbed Karly’s car seat. I just smiled back at her, she was so excited.

*****
Throughout the entire All-Star Game all I could think about was what I was going to say to Allie when I asked her at dinner tonight. I barely paid attention to the game because I was so nervous. Allie was worried, I could tell by the way she kept glancing at me all evening. I made sure to give her my best smile so she wouldn’t worry too much.

The game ended with Team Lindstrom winning and Patrick Sharp of the Chicago Blackhawks won MVP of the games. As the stands started to clear, the players’ families all began making their way to the locker rooms. Allie and I decided to stay out of the locker room with the girls, so we waited in the hallway for our friends to come out.

I smiled as I watched Allie talking with Abby Sharp, Cody Ward, and Leah. I was happy she was fitting in with other wives and girlfriends of other players outside of the Penguins, Hurricanes, and even the Rangers. Being married or dating a pro athlete was tough and the women needed all the support they could get from each other.

Emma started fussing in her car seat so I quickly took her out and reached into the baby bag on my shoulder for her bottle. Allie heard Emma’s cries and looked over her shoulder, worry written on her face. I chuckled, she was such a good mother.

“Don’t worry, mamma, daddy’s got her.” I heard Leah say.

I smiled at my beautiful girlfriend and finished feeding my equally beautiful daughter. Just as I was burping her, my brothers, parents, Kris, and Patrick Sharp all came walking out the Team Staal locker room. I looked down the hall and saw Flower and Vero walking towards us. We all talked for a little bit, Kris and Flower picking on each other because Kris couldn’t get the puck past Flower in the Super Skills competition yesterday.

Finally we started making our way to the restaurant. The car ride was full of infant babble and the radio. As we drove over the nerves came back and my stomach filled with butterflies.

“Jordy, are you okay?” Allie asked quietly.

I looked over at her and saw how worried she really was. I frowned slightly, I didn’t want to worry her. Today is supposed to be a fun, happy day. I smiled. “I’m fine, babe. Just hungry.”

“Are you sure? Because you’ve been acting weird all day.”

“I’m sure, there is nothing wrong. Nothing to worry about.”

“Okay. If you say so.”

I sighed and pulled into an open parking spot next to Eric’s Range Rover. I leaned over and gave Allie a kiss on the cheek and smiled when she did. I knew that asking her would be the best decision of my life.

***
Dinner was amazing and what made it even better was we didn’t get bothered all that much. Which I really didn’t expect, I mean you have pretty much most of the Hockey Family, Kris, and Flower all sitting at one table right after the All-Star Games, but like I said, no one really bothered us.

“So Jord, ride over here, guess what Parker asked me.” Marc said.

I gave him a look and then smiled at Parker who was coloring away in his coloring book. “What did he ask?” I wondered, mentally holding my breath for what was to come. I already had a feeling about it.

“He asked when Allie was going to become his aunt.”

Mom all but choked on her coffee, causing all of us to look at her, but she waved us off and continued coughing. Her eyes stayed on me though and I avoided her gaze. Eric was giving me the same look, he didn’t tell Marc did he? No, because I wasn’t getting a look from him, he was just simply sharing something cute or nephew asked.

“Did he?” I asked, messing his blond hair up. “Well, bud, I’m not sure. Why do you want Allie to be your aunt?” I asked, again mentally holding my breath.

Parker put his crayon down and looked over at Allie who I could tell was holding her breath, then back at me. “Yes!” He all but shouted. “I love Allie, she’s cool and fun. And she likes Cars

We all chuckled and I looked at Allie who now had tears in her eyes. I grabbed her hand and gave it a squeeze, mom too had tears in her eyes. Parker just made life so much easier for me. I could do it right now, ask her right this minute. Plus he likes, no loves Allie and that means so much to me. Mom gave me a slight nod, there was that freaky she knew what we were thinking or feeling thing again.

I stood up. “I’m going to go use the bathroom.” I whispered to Allie, placing a kiss on top of her head. As soon as I was out of view of our table, I went searching for our waiter. I caught him coming out of the kitchen.

“Excuse me.” I called, causing him to turn around.

“Mr. Staal, was there something wrong with your dinner?” He asked, slightly scared.

I chuckled. “Of course not, the food was delicious. I have a favor to ask of you.”

“Of course, what can I do for you?”

“Do you remember what the beautiful brunette that was sitting next to me ordered for dessert?”

He smiled. “Yes, sir I do.”

I tried not to roll my eyes at the ‘sir’ since I was like only two years older than the kid. “Great. Now, I’m trusting you to make sure that..” I pulled the box out of my pocket and opened it. “This gets put on top of it for me. Can you do that for me?” I asked.

His eyes bugged out of his head at the sight of the ring. “Of course.”

“Wonderful.” I reached into my back pocket and pulled out my wallet. I opened it and handed the kid a fifty. “Thank you.”

“Any time, Mr, Staal. And may I just say congratulations.”

I smiled. “She hasn’t said yes yet.”

“She will.” He smiled.

I made my way back to the table just as dessert was being brought out. Here we go.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited