Status: Complete and edited

Two is Better Than One

Shopping

It has been two months since Alaina and I moved from California to Pittsburgh and things were looking good for us. We both found jobs that we seemed to like and even got a car to share between the both of us for now. One thing that was not looking good for us was the apartment searching. Every time we found one we liked the other would find something they didn’t like about it. Alaina was being picky about the amount space in the rooms and I was worried about the location of the building. We have yet to find one that satisfied the both of us. It’s gotten so bad that we’ve recruited the help of the other guys on the team along with their wives or girlfriends to help us fine one. Even with all the help we’ve been having we still haven’t found one with all the requirements.

Just when Alaina and I were about to give up, Jordan told me there was an apartment available in their building. He said he had looked at it and it was just like theirs. So Alaina and I were taking a look at it before we left for the mall. The apartment was one floor below Kris and Jordan’s and when we walked in I would have thought we walked right back into the guys’. It was identical to theirs, the floor plan, the space, the number of rooms, and even the view was just like theirs.

“So what do you think Layn? It has the space and the location is convenient to both of our jobs and the arena.” I said as we walked out to Alaina’s new car.

“I love it, Jordan was right. It is just like theirs and it’s within in out budget surprisingly.” She smiled. “Let’s get it.”

Before heading to the mall, we stopped at the leasing office to sign the necessary papers. Half an hour later we had our apartment and we didn’t have far to move our things.

“Merry Christmas.” I laughed as we walked to the car.

“Amen sista.” Alaina said

***
The mall two week before Christmas was insane. Everybody and their mothers were shopping for last minute gifts. We had both picked put gifts for Kris and Jordan, and I picked out ones for my mom and dad. Now that we had a mandatory shopping down, we settled on some leisure shopping. Alaina started to look at dresses because we were going to the team Christmas dinner, so I did the same. Now usually it takes me forever to find dresses that I like, but the one I picked for the dinner I found in about twenty minutes. It was nothing extravagant, just a simple black halter top number that stopped right above my knees. With the perfect pair of heels I would look hot.

I made my way out of the changing room to show Alaina my choice. “My God, when Jordan sees you in that he’s going to have a freaking heart attack.” Alaina teased and I blushed. Things between Jordan and I have heated up a little since the night we went out to dinner. Though we weren’t officially together we spend a lot of time together.

“Shut up, what about Sidney?” I asked. Giving her a once over I knew she was going to kill poor Sid. She has been teasing him for so long now and this dress is going to be the breaking point I think. The dress she was wearing was something that I would probably wear to prom back in high school. It was about mid-thigh in length, black, strapless, with a red ribbon across the bodice of the dress that met with the black with a beautiful pin looking thing. With heels she was going to be even more drop dead gorgeous. I’ve never been really jealous of her body, but there are times like this when I wish I had her curves.

Alaina blushed and turned back to her dressing room. We paid for our dresses and made our way to the shoe store where we both found the perfect shoes for our dressed. Once we paid for our shoes made our way back to the parking lot when we ran into Vero and some of the other girlfriends. We stood around talking about the party and Christmas break.

“So Allie, Alaina is going to Montreal with Kris for Christmas. What are you planning on doing?” TK’s girlfriend, Sandra asked with a curious look in her eyes.

“Um, I’m just going back to California. Nothing special.” I shrugged.

“So no invite from Jordan to join him in Thunder Bay?”

“Um nope.”

Sandra nodded and looked at Vero who shook her head slightly, as if to say ‘don’t push it’. There was defiantly something going on that I didn’t know about.

“Oh V, Alaina and I got a place!” I said

“That’s wonderful, where?” She asked

“Same building as Kris and Jordan’s. place” As soon as Jordan’s name left my lips I regretted saying it. I was just making things worse for myself and sure enough as soon as I said it all the girls shared a look and a smile. They all knew that I liked Jordan and they were trying everything in their power to get us together, but Jordan just wasn’t getting the hints, even Kris and Marc were trying.

Vero smiled. “That’s really great guys. After the break we’ll have to throw a housewarming party. What floor is it on?”

I blushed before answering. “Um, the floor below theirs.”

Vero couldn’t hold back her laughter any longer and she let out a small chuckle before nodding. I just shook my head and followed Alaina out to the car. Once we were in the car, I turned to Alaina who was still chuckling quietly.

“I’m just making things worse for myself aren’t I?” I asked smiling to myself.

“Yeah.” She nodded.

I groaned and just turned my attention to the people passing by us. The guys weren’t home tonight because they were in Philadelphia, so Alaina and I were going to wrap Christmas presents and have some girl time.

“Why don’t we stop at the store and get some wine?” I suggested.

“That sounds like a very good idea.” She pulled off to the side road to stop at the ABC store that was near our apartments. Once we got home we both changed into our pajamas and poured ourselves a glass of wine. We put the game on in the background and began to wrap the presents. When we were done with the presents we hid the guys’ presents in our apartment because they guys didn’t know we even got it yet so they wouldn’t know to look there. After we hid the presents we sat down and watched the game and as we watched the game Alaina and I talked about how we were going to decorate our apartment.

We had lost interest in the game, so when my phone went off it scared me. I quickly glanced at the television before opening my phone, to my surprise it was already the first intermission. I also noticed that the boys were down two goals. I flipped my phone open and smiled.

NEW TEXT: Jordan
I hope your night is going better

I frowned and clicked reply.

Hey no thinking like that. It’s only 20 minutes gone, there are another 40 more to go and it’s only 2 goals. I know you guys got this!

Proud with my message, I clicked send and took a sip of wine. I looked over to the television and saw Sidney giving an interview after the first period. He looked serious, but I could tell that he wasn’t happy with himself or the team. I shot Jordan a text telling him to tell Sidney to smile or I was going to come over there and kick his ass.

NEW TEXT: Jordan
He just laughed so no ass kicking is needed. LOL. Thanks for that little speech, you’re right. So what are you girls doing?

I smiled and looked over at Alaina who just rolled her eyes and smiled at me.

Just watching the game, drinking wine, and wrapping Xmas gifts

NEW TEXT: Jordan
Oh? Whatcha get me?

I laughed and pressed reply.

Not telling

I chuckled again because Jordan was a big kid at heart and I knew secrets like this bothered him. This was a big secret and it was going to bother him so much.

NEW TEXT: Jordan
I’ll find them then

I could just picture the smirk on his face

No you won’t…they’re hidden

NEW TEXT: Jordan
Fine! I’ve got to go. I’ll text you during 2nd intermission.

Okay…GOOD LUCK!

I shut my phone and just sat there looking at nothing and smiling.

“When are you two going to hook up?” Alaina asked

I sighed. “I don’t know. I really want to though and I feel like he does too, but just isn’t working at it.”

“Well if it means anything, he hasn’t taken a girl home or gone home with one since we moved in.”

“How do you know that?”

“Kris told me and so did Sidney. Also we live with him so I think we would know if he did.”

I chuckled. “Hmm maybe he is interested.”

“I think he is. You guys spend so much time together, I’m surprised you aren’t a couple yet.”

“Me too, but I’m glad that we aren’t at the same time because I don’t want things between us to become weird.”

‘I don’t think they will.” Alaina assured me.

I took a sip of wine and thought about Jordan and my relationship right now, about how we were pretty much inseparable when we were together. I was also thinking about how well we would work together as a couple because we get along so well and have things other than hockey in common. Plus no matter what other people say about him, he’s a really sweet guy. My thoughts were interrupted by the goal horn going off on the TV. I looked over in time to see number eleven get tackled by his teammates. A huge smile spread across my face and butterflies filled my stomach. I loved to see him so excited and smiling. His smile is what provoked the butterflies.

For the rest of the game Alaina and I teased each other about ‘our guys’ as we call them and I would text Jordan during intermission. When the final horn blew signaling the end of the game, I looked at the screen and groaned. They had lost by one despite gaining the lead in the second period. I knew the guys weren’t going to be happy when they got home, so Alaina and I decided to head to bed to stay out of their way. I was lying in bed when my phone went off.

NEW TEXT: Flower
Jord’s a bit upset. Just a warning for you.

I shook my head, Jordan had gotten into a scuffle with Pronger during the third period. No penalties were called but you could tell Jordan was pissed.

REPLY: Flower
Thanks Flower. You had a good game tonight. That last goal was hard to block but you tried.

NEW TEXT: Flower
Thanks Allie. We are about to get on the plane. I just wanted to let you know about Jordan. He may need to talk when he get’s home. Oh and V told me about the apartment. Congrats.

Ok and thanks. Just don’t tell Jordan or Kris about the apartment. Layn and I want to surprise them with it.

NEW TEXT: Flower
Your secret is safe with me. Night Allie.

Night Marc.

I flipped my phone closed and placed it on my pillow next to my head and turned on the small TV I brought with me and put on a DVD since I wasn’t really tired. I was halfway through my second movie when I heard the front door open and banging around, the guys were back from their game. I could hear them whispering to each other about practice in the morning. I had to fight the urge to go out there and talk to them, especially Jordan. When I heard footsteps moving down the hallway I glanced at the door and told myself to stay. I didn’t want to seem like I was hovering or waiting for them to get home. So I snuggled into my blankets and continued to watch my movie.

27 Dresses was about to end when there was a light knock on my bedroom door.

“Come in.” I called quietly, pausing the movie. Jordan walked in and shut the door behind him. For a little bit he just stood there looking at me and I was looking at him. He was wearing basketball shorts and a white wife beater tank top.

“Hey, I saw the lights coming from the TV. I was hoping you’d still be awake.” He shifted nervously. “Can we talk for a little bit?”

“Yeah sure.” I patted the spot next to me and he climbed onto my bed. “What did you want to talk about?”

“I don’t know. Anything I guess.”

I chuckled and thought about what I could so to my friend who was obviously taking a loss a little hard. “Well I can say great goal.”

Jordan groaned and looked at me. “I don’t want to talk about the game right now. I actually just wanted to talk to you.”

I smiled at him and waited to see if he would bring something up to talk about. “So the Christmas dinner is this weekend and…and I was wondering if you’d be my date?” Jordan asked quietly

“I would be honored to be your date.” I smiled and kissed his cheek. Jordan blushed and gave me an awkward sideways hug. He grabbed the remote from me and pressed play on it.

“What movie is this?” he asked

“27 Dresses. It’s about this woman who had been in and planned 27 weddings and is now planning her sister’s wedding to the man that she loves but she ends up falling for the announcements writer. It’s a really cute movie.”

“Do you mind if we start it over? I don’t really want to go to bed.”

“Not at all. It’s one of my favorites.”

We restarted the movie and cuddled together on my queen size bed. I recited some of my favorite lines and had Jordan laughing, especially when I did the Benny and the Jets part. The last thing I remember that night was the wedding rehearsal disaster and Jordan rubbing my back again. It seemed that he had a very calming and soothing touch because every time he rubbed my back I fell asleep.

I woke up the following morning to sun light pouring through my window, the DVD menu playing on my TV, and snoring in my ear. I rolled over and came face to face with a sleeping Jordan who had a small smile gracing his lips. I gently brushed my fingers over his smooth cheek and jaw line. I froze when his eyes suddenly opened and he caught me staring at him.

"Good morning.” He said lazily.

“Morning.” I smiled at him.

“What time is it?”

I pulled my phone from somewhere off my bed and glanced at it and about choked. “It’s quarter after seven. I have to be at work at eight.” I quickly untangled myself from the sheets and Jordan and began getting my stuff together before hopping in the shower. Then I remembered that today was Alaina’s early day so she was already at work. “Shit.” I mumbled

“What’s wrong, babe?” Jordan asked sitting up.

I blushed at being called babe again, then shook those thoughts out of my head because now I was going to be late because I was going to have to take the bus. “Alaina is usually my ride to work, but today she went in early and I’m going to have to take the bus which will make me late and I can’t be late because I have a new preschooler coming in.” I sighed and sat on the bed.

Jordan came up behind me and rubbed my back lightly. “Chill Allie, I’ll take you to work on my way to practice. No big deal.” He smiled

“Are you sure that won’t make you late?”

“Positive. Now go get ready. I’ll make the coffee.”

I turned and gave him a hug. “Thank you Jordan you are a life saver.” He returned the hug and made his way to his room. As soon as he was out of sight I made my way to the shower.
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited