Status: Complete and edited

Two is Better Than One

Bet

The next morning I woke up at ten to a quiet house which meant that the boys were at their morning skate and Alaina wasn’t out of bed yet. When I walked into the kitchen, I noticed a large white box sitting on the counter with my name on the note. I read the note before opening the box.

Allie, since I’m your favorite player, you should wear this tonight. Jordan

I chuckled as I lifted the top off the box, and just as I guessed there was a jersey in it that had the number eleven and the name Staal on it. With a shake of my head, I took the box to my room and dropped on the bed. Then went to wake up Alaina.

“Allie,” Alaina groaned. “Why are you waking me up so early?” She asked

“It’s not early, it’s ten o’clock.” I went over to her window and opened the curtain, laughing when she groaned again. “I think we should make the guys something to eat.”

“Ugh, fine.” She threw back her covers and got dressed.

When we decided to make one of the few things I knew how to make thanks to my mom, we got cracking. Alaina was in charge of cooking the noodles while I sautéed the chicken and veggies While we worked we talked about the apartments we looked at the other day and the ones we still needed to look at, because we couldn’t stay here forever. Even though I was enjoying living here a great deal and I didn’t want to leave quite yet. Maybe a certain hockey player is the reason why I thought.

“Oh, guess what Jordan left me.” I said, leaning against the counter.

“What?” she asked, looking over her shoulder.

“A home jersey for tonight’s game.” I beamed

Alaina sighed and I glanced over at her. She had turned and was now leaning against the counter looking at me.

“What’s wrong Layn?” I wondered

“It’s nothing really Allie, I just don’t want you to get hurt. He’s kind of a player you know.”

“I know, you’ve told me this before. But they are just stories, you never know if they are true or not.”

Alaina was about to say something but just then the front door opened and Kris and Jordan walked in.

“Hey guys. How was your skate?” I asked. Only after two days we already knew the guys' schedule.

“It was okay.” Jordan walked into the kitchen. “What smells so good?” He asked.

“Of course you would be worried about food.” I chuckled.

“Well we are hockey players. We need to keep up our strength.”

“I know, I know.” I turned off the stove and grabbed a plate. “Have a seat guys, this will be on the table in just a bit.”

Once we got the guys fed, Alaina and I got breakfast for ourselves together. Alaina made the coffee before going to take her shower. While she was in the shower I made the pancakes and talked to Kris and Jordan.
Throughout the entire conversation I could feel a pair of eyes on me. Maybe it wasn’t the best idea to wear a tight cami top and short, shorts in a house with two guys. I had caught Jordan once and he quickly looked away, a slight blush rising on his cheeks. I had to bite the inside of my cheek to keep from smiling at him.

When Jordan and Kris went to take their pre game naps, Alaina and I sat down with a lap top and looked up jobs in the area. We both found a couple we were interested in and sent in our resumes. Once we looked for jobs we looked at more apartments before calling it quits. When we did, I decided that I needed to call my mom and talk to her since I haven’t since we arrived in Pittsburgh. The phone call didn’t last long since she spent most of the time talking about the trip she was taking with Steven to escape the drama of the divorce. When I was done with that phone call, I sucked up my nerves and called my father to at least let him know that I wasn’t living in California anymore. That phone call was a lot more painful then the one with my mom because he was guilt tripping me into moving back. He was also upset with my because he didn’t even know I was across the country and that I didn’t tell him. My response was simple, how could I tell him when he would barely talk to me. Then I hung up on him.

Later that evening I was in my room getting ready for the game, when there was a knock on my door. I quickly put on my cami and opened the door. Jordan was standing there, dressed in his suit with his tie undone and his hair still wet from his shower. I had to focus on my breathing because he looked so good dressed like that.

“Hey, Jord. What’s up?” I asked

He shifted nervously before speaking. “I was wondering if you wanted to go out to eat after the game. Just the two of us.”

“Yeah sure. That sounds like a great idea.” I smiled.

“Great,” He smiled. “I have to get going, but I’ll see you later though.” He turned to walk back down the hallway, but then stopped. “Did you get my present?”

“Yes I did. Thank you very much.” I smiled

“You are going to wear it right?”

“Of course I am.” Though I already had one of his jerseys, mine wasn’t authentic nor a gift from the man himself.

He smiled at me as he headed down the hallway. I shut my door and leaned against it for a minute before getting ready again. I was planning on wearing just a simple black cami under the jersey, but now that I knew we were going out I switched it for one of my many band shirts.

“Allie! Are you ready?” Alaina yelled from the living room. Her voice pulled me out of my little mental ramble.

“Just a minute!” I yelled back.

I quickly ran my brush through my hair again and checked my make-up before heading to the living room where Alaina was sitting on the couch messing with her Crosby jersey. I smiled at her and she knew what that smile meant so she flipped me off. I just chuckled. I had a theory that she and Sidney were going to end up together. The truth was that Sidney’s jersey was the only one she has.

“Okay, I’m ready.” I said

We locked up the apartment and made our way to the bus stop. I wrapped my arms around myself as the wind picked up. The cold was one thing that I was going to have to get use to.

“We really need to get a car.” I said as I shivered

Thankfully the bus showed up soon after we arrived at the stop. Alaina just looked at me before climbing on the bus without a word. The bus ride was quiet and long, stopping constantly to pick up other people heading to the Penguins game. When we finally made it to Mellon Arena, the two of us made our way to Will Call to pick up our tickets. When the lady handed Alaina the envelope there was also a note telling us that there were two passes in with the tickets for after the game and that we were sitting with Vero.

The game started off intense as soon as the puck dropped. The first period ended scoreless, but it was physical. Both teams were being called on stupid penalties and it was effecting both of teams. Throughout the first period Vero and Alaina were laughing at me because I was getting so into the game. Cheering when the Penguins were on the Power Play and booing when they were on the Penalty Kill. I was also screaming at the refs about their calls.

“Does she always get like this?” Vero asked Alaina during intermission.

Alaina chuckled. “Yes she does and believe it or not, she gets worse during playoffs.”

“Oh, I believe it.”

I just shook my head and tried to calm down just a little bit. The Penguins were going to start the second period down a man for about a minute because Jordan thought it would be a good idea to trip Patrick Kane right before the horn sounded.

“I’m going to go to get something to drink.” I said standing up. The two girls nodded their head as they continued their conversation.

I stopped at the bathroom on my way to a concession stand. Once I was standing in line, I chatted with the people around me. Then my phone buzzed in my pocket.

NEW TEXT: UNKNOWN
You are really getting into the game huh?

I looked around me. Who knew that I was at the game and getting so into it? I was also a little freaked out because someone did know this information and I didn’t know who it was. I clicked reply.

Who the hell is this?

I clicked send and placed my order and moved to the side. My phone buzzed again.

NEW TEXT: UNKNOWN
I’m hurt you don’t know who this is. I thought I was your favorite player.

I chuckled and responded. Jordan, how did you get my number? After I hit send I programmed his number into my phone.

Again my phone buzzed in my hand before I could even click save.

NEW TEXT: JORDAN
Alaina =)

Of course he got it from Alaina. I grabbed my drink and made my way back to my seat. Once I sat back down I pulled out my phone to text Jordan.

REPLY: JORDAN
How about we make a bet? You don’t get anymore penalties tonight and score a goal; I’ll wear your jersey for the rest of the season. If you get another penalty I’ll wear someone else’s.

I smiled and looked over at Alaina and Vero who were both looking at me.

“Why are you all smiley?” Alaina asked.

I looked at my phone before looking at her. “No reason.”

“Liar.” She turned to Vero. “She goes away all pissed and comes back smiling. Either she got laid in the bathroom or she met a guy.” Vero busted out laughing. I blushed and looked at my phone that buzzed again.

NEW TEXT: JORDAN
I’ll take that bet. You better wash that when we get home.

“OMG, she’s talking to Jordan.” Alaina exclaimed, reading over my shoulder.

I quickly sent him smiley face and closed my phone. Alaina was just looking at me, smiling. I turned my attention to the ice since the boys would be coming back out soon. When they did Jordan stopped in font of us and smiled at me. I gave him the universal sign for I’m watching you. He threw his head back and laughed and got back into line to continue his warm ups.

“What was that about?” Alaina asked

“I made a bet with him that if he didn’t get any more penalties and scored a goal tonight then I would wear his jersey for the rest of the season.”

“What if he gets a goal but also gets a penalty. What are you going to do then?”

“I haven’t thought of that. I’ll probably think of something though.”

“You are so flirting with him.” Alaina said

“I am.” Did I just admit that?

“So I’m guessing you like him?” Vero asked

I bit my lip and nodded as I scanned the ice for the number eleven. When my eyes finally landed on it I smiled. Butterflies erupted in my stomach as he turned around and waved at me.

When the second period started, the Penguins were down a man, but you wouldn’t have known it by the way they were playing. It was just as intense as the first one was. With five minutes left in the period, the Blackhawks were on a power play and Jonathan Toews lost possestion of the puck right next to Jordan who took it up the empty ice. It was just him and Niemi, I help my breath as he pulled his arms back and took a hard shot on goal. I watched as it sailed over Niemi’s shoulder and hit the back of the net. I jumped to my feet along with the rest of the arena and cheered for the team. As Jordan was skating back to the bench he looked in my direction and pointed to me and then his jersey. I just smiled and nodded, he still had to uphold the other end of his bargain, no penalties.

During the second intermission, Alaina, Vero, and I talked about the city. Vero was filling us on the teams wives and girlfriends and also she knew of a couple apartments that were available for rent. She promised us she’d give us the information and take us to check them out.

When the third period started the intensity died down a little bit, but the physicality did not. The Blackhawks were down a goal and were trying to get on the board. They were doing everything in their power to get a penalty called against the Penguins and they finally did, with eight minutes left in the game. The Blackhawks’ defense was targeting Jordan since he scored the only goal and eventually Jordan snapped. It happened when I wasn’t looking, I had just received a text from my mom and I opened it. I heard the penalty being called.

“Pittsburgh, Number eleven, high stick.”

I looked up from my phone to catch the replay, sure enough there was Jordan’s stick smacking someone in the face. I sighed and finished my text to mom, and then looked over at the penalty box. I couldn’t really tell from where I was, but he looked really sad. I felt bad for him. The game ended with the Penguins winning, Vero, Alaina, and I waited in our seats for the crowd to die down before we made our way to the locker room.

“So what are you going to do about the bet?” Alaina asked as we made our way past the security guard.

“I think I’m going to mess with him a bit. I will still wear his jersey but not as much as he would like me to and I’m not going to tell him when I’m going to wear it.”

“You are so mean sometimes.”

“You know me, plus it was part of our bet.” I turned my attention to Vero. “You need to do something special for Flower tonight.” I giggled

Vero blushed and hit my shoulder, and led us to the lounge where there were women and children standing around waiting. I quickly realized this was the family lounge. Vero introduced us to all the wives and girlfriends, but meeting them sent my nerves into overdrive. Some of the girls were giving Alaina and I dirty looks. We were a threat to them, we were new to the group. Vero squeezed my hand, giving me the strength I need to get through this.

“Everything will be okay.” She whispered. I smiled at her and nodded and looked over at Alaina who was talking to Tyler Kennedy’s girlfriend. I relaxed enough to talk to Matt Cooke’s wife and Billy Guerin’s wife. About ten minutes later the guys started filing out of the locker room. Kris came over to say hi to the wives and then gave me a hug.

“Good game tonight Kris.” I said, looking over his shoulder.

He chuckled, “’e said ’e would be out in a minute.” I blushed and started messing with my phone. I was so into my game that I didn’t notice Jordan walking out of the locker room. When he wrapped his arms around my waist. It took my brain a second to register the fact that he wrapped his arms around my waist. It also took it a second to recover from it. I closed my phone and turned to look at him. The look on his face was so sad that I had to bite my lip to keep from laughing. He looked like a little kid who broke his favorite toy.

“Hey, why do you look so sad?” I asked quietly. “You scored the only goal.”

“Yeah, but I lost the bet.” He said

I smiled and looked at him and was caught in his blue eyes. I felt my knees go weak and if Jordan wasn’t holding my waist I would have been on the ground. “Yes you did, but it’s not the end of the world.” I pulled out of his grasp and took his hand. “Come on and smile.”

“Hey Jordan.” Max called. “You going out with us? We are thinking about heading to Diesel.”

Jordan looked down at me and smile. “Nah, I don’t feel like Diesel tonight.” He winked at me before looking back at Max. Kris came to Jordan’s defense when Max was about to say something else. Kris knew that we were heading out tonight.

“I get what you are saying Jord. Maybe next time.”

“Yeah next game I’ll go with you guys.” He lowered his voice. “I’m taking Allie out to dinner. We’ll be home later.”

Kris nodded his head. “Remember what I said.” He said quietly and then turned to his cousin. “Hey Alaina you want to come out with us?”

“Yeah sure.” She smiled from her spot next to Sidney. I gave her a look and she just flipped me off again.

Marc was the next one to ask. “Allie, are you coming?"

“Nah, I’m not really in the partying mood tonight.” I walked over to him. “Great come tonight.” I gave him a hug and followed Jordan out of the locker room. Jordan was walking ahead of me at a very fast pace. “Jordan wait up, my legs aren’t as long as yours.” He stopped and turned to look at me, still frowning. I rolled my eyes and sighed. “Come on, for real, smile.” He smiled one of the cheesiest smiles I have ever seen. I busted out laughing which made Jordan laugh too. He grabbed my hand and pulled my out to his car. He put his bag in the trunk and opened my door for me. As we left the parking lot he just waved to his fans as he drove by.

“So where are we going for dinner?” I asked as I stripped off the jersey.
Jordan just looked at me before answering. “Um, there’s this little diner that I like to go to sometimes.” He cleared his throat. “It’s nothing too fancy. I sometimes go there in the middle of the night in my pajamas so that shows you how fancy it is.” He laughed.

I chuckled and nodded. “So I have a revision for the bet for you.” Jordan looked at me sideways, eyebrow raised. “Since you did score a goal, but also got a penalty, I’ve come to the decision that I will still wear your jersey but not as much as you would like. It will also be at random times.” I smiled

Jordan nodded. “I guess that’s a fair compromise.” I smiled and looked out the window. The rest of the ride was filled with small talk. For some reason we both seemed really awkward tonight and so far things haven’t been awkward for us. When we got the diner and I opened my door, I was smacked in the face by a wall of cold air. I shivered and put on my hoodie, but I was still cold. Jordan must have noticed because he took off his suit jacket and draped it over my shoulders. I was suddenly engulfed in a cloud of Jordan’s cologne, I inhaled the scent as I pushed my arms through the sleeves.

“Thank you.” I smiled up at him.

He smiled back at me and walked into the diner. He waved to a few people that said hi to him. The hostess smiled at Jordan…yes Jordan not us, as we approached the podium. The smile she gave him made me want to throw something at her bottle blond head. I hated the way jealousy made me feel… wait jealousy? Was this blond chick really making me jealous? I guess so because my one hand was clenched into a fist. Jordan just smiled politely at her and told her the number of people. When he said two, her smile disappeared as she looked at me. That caused a smirk to grace my lips. She quietly lead us to out table with a quiet, ‘your server will be right with you’.

Jordan pulled my chair out for me with a smile. I really liked when he smiled, his whole face lit up.

“Thank you.” I said

“No problem.” He took his seat across from me, but he didn’t pick up his menu. He just sat there looking at me. “Thank you for coming out with me.” He finally said.

“Why are you thanking me? I wanted to come.”

“I know, but you could have said no.”

I rolled my eyes and picked up my menu. “But I didn’t.”

“No you didn’t.” He said quietly as he too looked at the menu.

We sat in silence as we both decided on what we wanted to eat. I would occasionally steal glances at Jordan while he wasn’t looking. A few times I caught him looking at me as well, normally he would look away and blush but not this time.

“Jord?’ I asked

“Yeah babe.”

Hearing him call me ‘babe’ made me smile and my stomach to flip all at the same time. “Why do you keep looking at me?”

Jordan’s cheeks turned a deep crimson red. “I didn’t think you noticed.” He said quietly

He was just too cute. I smiled softly at him. “Well I did. So why do you keep looking at me?”

“I never realized how beautiful you were. “ He said matter of factly

Now it was my turn to blush. “Really? I…thank you I guess. But don’t be fooled, I have my flaws.”

He smiled a soft smile. “Not from my point of view you don’t.” And for the second time tonight I blushed.

The rest of our meal was great, Jordan and I clicked instantly. We never ran out of things to talk about. The only thing that bothered me about dinner was our waitress. She kept flirting with Jordan, but what surprised me was that he kept his attention on me. Now I’m not an attention whore, but when you are up against a girl who has blond hair, green eyes, boobs that she wasn’t afraid to show off, and a body any girl would die for, you are going to want to grab the attention of your date. Especially one as good looking as Jordan, but I didn’t have to try hard. I was shocked because I thought he would have been flirting with her since she walked over to our table two hours ago, but he never gave her more attention then necessary. She tried really hard to get his attention too and her attempts made me laugh.

After Jordan paid the bill he grabbed my hand as we went out to his car. The night got colder since we arrived at the diner, I was still cold with my hoodie and Jordan’s suit jacket. A shiver passed through my body and Jordan pulled me into his side, wrapping his arm around my shoulders. I smiled to myself and wrapped my arm around his waist to get closer.

Jordan opened my door for me and I slid into the leather seats. He jogged around the front of the car and started the engine in record time. He flipped on the heat and then hit a button, instantly my back and butt were getting warm. Heated seats are amazing! During the ride back to the apartment, Jordan held my hand. I was still trying to wrap my brain around the fact that not only did I just go get something to eat with Jordan Staal, but I was now sitting in his car holding hands with him as he drove us to the apartment we shared. I was living every hockey fan girl’s dream fantasy.

I had no idea what was running through Jordan’s head but I knew what was running through mine. I wanted Jordan to kiss me, but at the same time I didn’t want him to because one, we just met and two, I didn’t want to mess anything up that we might have right now. When we reached the parking garage for the apartment Jordan told me to wait in the car. He ran around the front of the car and opened my door and held out his hand. For the third time that night I took his hand and we walked to the elevator. Once we were inside the apartment we realized all the lights were still off.

“Alaina and Kris must still be out.” I said taking off Jordan’s jacket. I said it more to myself than out loud.

“What was that?” Jordan asked. He sounded distracted by something.

“Oh, nothing.” I handed him back his jacket. He took it, but then tossed it on the back of the couch. He took my hand again and we walked to my bedroom door. I leaned against the closed door and just stood there.

Jordan leaned down to look me in the eyes. I held my breath because I thought he was going to kiss me, but then he sighed. “Good night, Alison.” He then kissed my forehead and moved further down the hallway to his room.

I walked into my room and sat on my bed. I sighed and began getting ready for bed. I laid in bed and replayed today’s events in my head. As I did so butterflies filled my stomach and I sighed. I think I’m falling for Jordan Staal…
♠ ♠ ♠
Edited