Uncompatible Love

Pine or Ocean Breeze

Ch. 6: Pine? or Ocean breeze?*start*

-”Why can’t I just take my car?!” I shouted to Edward as we discussed my matter of transportation. School didn’t start for another hour and it was 6:45, yet already this early Edward managed to tick me off to no end. At the moment we were fighting about how my car would attract “unwanted attention” towards me. What the hell was that? Ten dollars say I’m gonna get attention either way…the Cullens aren’t exactly…liked around the school…they mostly think that we think we’re too good for them…human’s can be soo stubborn.

-”Says the stubborn half breed.”

-”Stay outta my head Ed…I told you I hate that…besides…if I hitch a ride with you that means less alone time for you and Bella.” I said nonchalantly (can’t remember if that’s a word but oh well).

-”Thank you for your concern.” he said sarcastically. “but you’re a sophomore…your not suppose to even BE driving…so give me the keys to the car.” he said seriously. I clung on to my keys like life depended on it and hissed at him.

-”MY gift, MY car, MY keys….I keep them……just lets get going before we’re late and they call Carlisle at work…you know he won’t be to happy about being bothered about something like being tardy, Edward.” I scolded him. With that I put my keys inside my shirt so he wouldn’t even THINK about getting them. I laughed at what he mumbled next.

-”Real mature for someone you age.” I stuck my tongue out at him.

-”What I AM only 15” I said smugly. Technically I had the appearance of a 16 year old...17 maybe.

As we drove off to Bella’s I noticed all the people once again staring intently at me. As we neared Bella’s home Edward slowed to a pace that wasn’t breaking the law. I looked at him quizzically.

-”Bella’s father, Charlie Swan, is the chief of the police department.” I made an “O” with my lips and continues to look forward. As we did I hoped to the back of the car so Bella could ride shot gun. Although as I did I noticed a motorcycle leaving the residence…‘strange’, I thought. Bella never did seem like the “dangerous” type. I looked to Edward although this woodsy scent got to me…pine? Ocean breeze?…no…both. Edward on the other hand looked like he just passed by a dumpster. Right as I was about to ask him what that was about he spoke.

-”Get out of the car. I want you to meet Bella’s dad.” I nodded.

As we neared the house I could here a conversation going on. I hated to eavesdrop of them, but what can you do when you have vampire hearing?

-”See Bells? Your leaving poor Jacob alone for your boyfriend. He was there when he wasn’t and this is how you repay him?” I saw Edward flinch. I understood. Bella had reluctantly explained to me what happened during my absence with her and Edward.

-”Dad…Jacob and me are just……growing apart is all…” I felt that that was our cue to help Bella out and nudged Edward with my elbow to get him to knock. He did.

-”Yea but…” Charlie stopped as he herd us interrupting. I self consciously stepped behind Edward. I was kind of shy when it came to new people, besides this guy sounded pretty harsh. Suddenly a man in his mid-forties opened the door.

-”Hey Edward let me just go get my stuff” said Bella behind her father as she ran upstairs. This placed smelled like gun powder, proving that he was indeed a cop…either that or the dude just REALLY liked guns.

-”Good morning Chief Swan.” said Edward politely.

-”Hey Edward.” He said kind of rudely. I could feel the anger radiating off of him towards my brother. I tried to read his mind but before I could Edward introduced me by pushing me forward.

-”This is my little sister, Violette.”

-”Hello…Mr. Swan I presume.” I said with a warm smile and batting my eye lashes innocently. I slowly began to let the smile grow showing my pearly white teeth while calming the aura around him. He looked stunned and then smiled kindly. He extended his hand.

-”Call me Charlie…your quiet the small one aren’t you…like your sister…Alice right……you two like you could actually be related.” He said to me and Edward. He nodded.

-”He’s my blood brother. I’m the baby of the family…I’m..” I was about to say 16, but remembered that was the old high school…”15...bout to turn 16” I said staring at Edward. I was NOT going to wait a whole year to drive my baby after I just got it.

-”Well nice to meet you.” Charlie said with a large smile. “Stop by anytime…Bella could use another friend to keep her out of trouble and you certainly seem like that one.” He said and I could tell that the invitation was directed only to me and not my brother. I smiled and nodded.

-”Ready to go?” Edward asked Bella who just nodded leaving straight to the car.

-”Bye Chief Swan.” said Edward as I fallowed.

-”Nice to meet you Charlie and don’t worry I’ll stop by again.” I said with one more smile before leaving.

*Bella’s POV* (this is before Edward and Violette got there)

I got up real early to make my dad breakfast since he had to leave early today to. The killings were rising near here again. He also said no more trips to Seattle so I guess Violette and Alice will be disappointed. My dad was watching the news when there was knocking on the door.

-”Dad can you get it…I’m kinda busy.” I said as I cooked the bacon and eggs. I figured Edward was here already. I herd him answer it.

-”Hey there Jacob! Long time no see.” Jacob?

-”Hey Charlie…is Bella here?” Yea it was Jacob. I could hear his husky voice.

-”Yep in the kitchen…would ya like something to eat.”

-”No I’m good just got to talk to her before school starts.” I didn’t hear anything else besides footsteps. I assumed my dad went upstairs and that the ones nearing the kitchen were Jacob. “Hey Bells.” I turned to him. I had just forgiven him for the stunt he pulled with the bike.

-”Hey Jake. Want some?” I asked as I brought the pan of food up for him to see. He shook his head. “Whats up?”

-”I was wondering if you weren’t busy with your le…guy….if you wanted to go to a bonfire with me?” I gave him a look when he was about to say leech, but guy? COME ON! I sighed. Edward wouldn’t let me. He thought the wolves were dangerous. Especially with Victoria out on the loose.

-”I cant.” I whispered knowing he’d herd me.

-”Oh come on Bella! He’s practically got you caged up!” he shouted, his temper obviously rising from the trembling.

-”Shh...Jake calm down” He did. “I’m not to sure I have plans and…”

-”Now he’s got you lying?! That son of a…” he trailed off, sniffing the air. “I gotta go…bat boy’s coming…laters Bella…tell me when you loose the baggage.” With that I watched as he hopped on his motorcycle and drove off as Edward’s Volvo came up. My dad must have herd the shouting because he looked like he had something on his mind…and I knew he was about to let it ALL out.

*Violette’s Pov*

As we drove off to school I could just feel the tension in the air. I could read Bella and Edward’s minds. Bella was worried about asking Edward about something…while Edward was mad about a…mutt? I don’t know. Maybe I’m loosing my talent here.

-”So Bells…never knew you rode.” she was distracted momentarily while if Edward’s grip tightened on the steering wheel any more we would surely crash. Bella looked confused. “the bike?” I told/ asked her.

-”Oh that…it’s old…”

-”You know I can tell when your lying right…and why are you nervous? You can tell me anything…and if your worried about Edward…don’t worry…I’ll hold him off for you.” I said with a smile. Edward just glared at the road. Was there something I didn’t know here. I read Bella’s mind again as she just looked twice as nervous now along with shock. I herd a name in her head. Now I could see why Edward couldn’t read her mind. It was like a human trying to read in the dark with only the moonlight as a light stand. ”Who’s Jake?” I asked her. He face grew red and Edward practically grinded his teeth to the point where I thought dust would only be left. ‘Nice going smarty now you made things worse.’ I thought to myself. I tried to make things better but Edward cut me off.

-”We’re here. Go into the main office to get your schedule.” said Edward rudely. What’s his problem. I looked towards Bella, but Edward quickly pulled her aside. ‘Sheesh I can take a hint.’ I thought with an eye roll. As I pushed against the car I just now noticed I was leaning against I could already fill my head being filled with the thoughts of the other students, along with all eyes on me. I tried my best to ignore it by blocking Edward’s powers out of my system as I made my way towards the office.