Status: permanent hiatus - sorry

Benji

008; i could never be mad at you.

I didn’t know what to do when I picked Kyle and Benji up that afternoon. Was I meant to avoid all awkwardness and pretend like I hadn’t looked through his stuff, or be straight up about it and apologise again?

Thankfully, my dilemma was solved when Kyle got in the car alone.

“Uh, where’s Benji?” I asked, looking around in case he was just being slow.

“He had to stay behind and catch up on some tests,” Kyle replied, pulling his seat belt on. “But I told him you’d pick him up after because he’s coming over ‘cause Carl’s still away.”

I nodded and started up the car. Truth be told, I was kind of disappointed that I’d have to wait until later to see Benji. All day I’d been fretting over how I was supposed to act when I next saw him, so one would think that I would be happy right now, but I wasn’t. I think I’d rather have an awkward moment with Benji, than a moment without him.

Of course, once I realised this I mentally punched myself. I really needed to stop obsessing over this kid.

“Do you like Benji?”

I turned to stare at my brother before realising I was driving and quickly looking back at the road. I cleared my throat. “What?” Surely I hadn’t been that obvious.

“Well... You seem kind of distant ever since you met him and I was just wondering... Maybe you hate him or something?” His eyebrows were furrowed and he was watching me with a serious look on his face.

Kyle was never serious.

“What the fuck? Of course I don’t hate him. Kyle, what are you...” I glanced at him, thoroughly confused, until I saw the shit-eating grin he wore.

“I’m just kidding, bro,” he laughed.

“You’re an idiot,” I muttered, rolling my eyes.

“No, seriously though,” he continued, “you like him, don’t you? As in, you think he’s cute and you wanna fu-”

“I don’t want to fuck him,” I said quickly, interrupting him.

“But you think he’s cute?”

“Shut up.”

Kyle was silent for a minute and I thought maybe he’d dropped it, but then he burst out singing:

“Benji and Reid, up a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G!”

I leant over and punched him in the arm, a scowl on my face. “You’re so immature.”

“I know,” he grinned. “Okay, honestly now, do you like him?”

I hesitated before answering, but then I realised that this was Kyle I was talking to, and one thing about Kyle is that he always knows when I lie to him.

“Yeah, maybe a little,” I mumbled.

He started laughing and I had to lean over and punch him again.

“Would you shut up?” I growled, and added: “And don’t tell Benji, alright?”

“I won’t tell him,” Kyle grinned, “but I can’t promise that he doesn’t already know. It’s kind of obvious.”

I punched him again.

*

“Reid! Could you come here please?”

Sighing loudly, I pulled myself up from where I’d been sitting in the living-room watching mindless television and trudged into the kitchen.

“Yes, Mother?” I asked, sitting at the table and watching my mother as she made dinner. I knew she wanted me to do something; it was the only time she ever called me into the kitchen.

“Could you ring Benji and find out when he’s going to be finished? It’s getting late,” she asked.

“Can’t Kyle do it?” I moaned, putting on the whole ‘why should I, he’s not my friend’ act, when really, I didn’t mind at all.

“He’s doing his homework. Could you just do this please?” She turned to look at me, her eyebrows raised as she gave me a look that I felt could put Mrs Weasley to shame.

I rolled my eyes and pulled my cell phone out of my pocket. As I dialled Benji’s number, I looked out the window, watching as the sunlight rapidly faded. Surely he’d be done by now.

“H-hello?”

A smile made its way onto my face as soon as I heard his voice. “Hey, it’s Reid. Are you almost finished?”

“Well, I’ve kind of...” he paused, exhaling quickly before continuing, “already started walking.”

“What? But it’s practically dark!” I exclaimed. The school that Benji and Kyle went to was at least a thirty minute walk away and, even though we lived in a relatively safe neighbourhood, I definitely wasn’t comfortable with Benji walking at night.

“I didn’t want to bother anyone,” Benji replied, his voice quiet.

I scoffed. “Don’t be ridiculous. I’m coming to get you now,” and hung up before he could object.

“Thank you Reid!” Mum called as I rushed out the door.

Benji was easy to find. I only had to drive for ten minutes before I spotted a small figure hastily making its way under the streetlights. Shaking my head to myself, I pulled over next to him, rolling the window down when he fastened his pace.

“Benji!”

He turned to face me, the startled look on his face soon replaced with one of relief. I watched as he stumbled toward the car and quickly got in. He sat there, breathing slowly, almost drawn in on himself.

“What the heck were you thinking?! Why didn’t you just call me? Seriously Benji, what if something had happened? I mean, you’re new here, and you’re small, and anything could have happened! I don’t even –” I paused in my rant to glance at him, only to see he was staring at his lap and had barely even acknowledged my outburst.

“Are you alright?” I asked gently, afraid he’d bolt like a frightened horse.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered, not looking at me. “I didn’t want to bother you and it won’t happen again and I’m sorry.”

I regarded the boy next to me, noting his shaking hands and the way he hid behind his hair. He pulled his legs up, wrapping his arms around his knees and I was overcome with an intense need to reach over and hold him, just offer him some comfort. I shook those thoughts out of my head.

“No, Benji, I’m sorry,” I said softly.

He looked up at me, his blue eyes bright. “What?”

“I shouldn’t have yelled at you,” I elaborated. “I’m sorry.”

He nodded, still watching me, and I had to look away when I realised I should probably drive us home. I felt Benji’s eyes on the side of my face for a good five minutes before he spoke up.

“Are you mad at me?” He asked. His voice was quiet and soft, almost heart-breakingly so.

“I could never be mad at you,” I admitted, ignoring the slight blush that then tinted his cheeks. “Just, next time, ring me. If you need something, or you’re in trouble, or you just want to talk; I don’t even care. Whatever it is, whenever, ring me. Okay?”

I saw him smile out of the corner of my eye, the corners of his pink lips tugging upwards, and he tried to hide it in his knee as he nodded.

“Good. And, about your sketch book...” I took a breath; wondering if now would be the best time to bring that up. “I really liked the dinosaurs,” I finished, though that hadn’t been what I was originally going to say.

Benji looked up at me, “Yeah?”

I nodded enthusiastically. “Yeah, they were cute.” Mentally, I winced. Since when did I call anything cute?Since I met Benji.

“Thank you,” Benji said, a grin lighting up his face.

I smiled in return, happy that he was happy, and parked outside my house. Drumming my fingers in a mindless tune on the steering wheel, I turned to Benji. “Dinner should be ready soon. You hungry?”

“Starved!” He laughed, got out of the car, and ran inside, leaving me alone with a small smile on my lips.