Status: Done, son.

Just A Fox

The Great White Plague

The tires pressed against the dirt as I slammed my foot down on the accelerator and sped up drastically. I could hear the sirens booming behind me, aiming to catch my little Chevrolet Coupe.

“Pass me my baby, will ya?” I winked at Jesse, who shook his head and grabbed my chopper with his gloved hands from behind his seat.

“You never seize to amaze, muffin.” Jesse sighed from inside, passing me the gun.

“Dingy.” I rolled my eyes. “Here. Grab the wheel. I want to see these coppers cry.”

I stuck out half my body out the window and started drilling the cop cars, being sure to duck when they started plugging me back. “Try again!” I shot down against the wheels of their cars as a loud pop resounded through the emptiness of the rural Mississippi and the coppers went flying.

I laughed, grabbing onto the wheel once again and tossing Tommy on Jesse’s lap. “What did I tell you, Jesse? Aren’t I just keen?”

“You’re the bomb, Dolly.” He yawned, stretching out his legs over the counter and tipping his hat over his green eyes. “Wake me up when we get there.” I always loved how even if his skin was a dark as the night sky his eyes were as clear as the daylight. I bit my bottom red lip, looking away.

You don’t do what I do in 1936. You don’t run away from an abusive son of a bitch, steal a car, befriend a black man, go rob banks all over the South, and still expect to get away with it. It isn’t planned and it isn’t smart. But it’s something. I don’t know. I’m not scared of being caught for robbing a bank or plugging at a couple of coppers. I’m more scared of…

“Jesse?” I murmured, my peepers gluing themselves to the road.

He moaned underneath his mask, a green eye opening and turning towards me. “What is it?”

“How long have we been together?” I coughed. “Uh, I mean, how long have we been traveling together? Heh…”

He smiled, rolling his eyes. “Around two years. Why do you ask?”

“No reason.” I answered quickly.

A few minutes passed.

“Jesse?”

He laughed. “Dolly?” He was obviously catching on I wasn’t going to stop.

“Why’d your wife leave you?”

“What kind of question is that?” He raised an eyebrow. “I already told you. She didn’t wanna take care of a good for nothin’ lunger, and I don’t blame her.”

“I don’t like your wife. She sounds like a twit.” I retorted.

“Nah. She ain’t no twit.” He muttered. “She’s just a kitten. Who could blame her?”

“Then what am I?” I frowned. “I’m a woman too. And I’m here with you. We’ve been together for two whole years and I’ve stayed. Is it whacky of me? Huh?”

“It isn’t. You’re just a fox.” He smiled.

I rolled my eyes. “Shut up.”

A couple more minutes passed.

“Je-,” I paused, looking at Jesse who was now completely asleep. My eyes turned back towards the road as I bit my bottom lip once again. “I don’t want you to die…”

Image


“Well, well, look what we have here.” A suited man approached me, a slick smile on his face. He was togged to the bricks, a handsome face. He had dark eyes, those of the devil, and slick blonde hair pushed back. “Aren’t you foxy.”

I raised an eyebrow and smirked. “So I’ve been told. And aren’t you Vincent Remington?”

He took a sip from his giggle juice, smiling sweetly. “Why yes I am. You’ve heard about me before, Mrs…”

“Ms. Avery. Diana Avery.” I stretched out my pale hand as he took it in his soft one, pulling it upwards and kissing it. I cocked my head to the side, biting my bottom lip and grinning. “It’s a pleasure.”

“The pleasure is mine.” He winked at me. “I can only wonder how such a fine dame wouldn’t wear a ring. How can any man ever be such fool?”

“You flatter me, Mr. Remington.”

“Please. Call me Vince.” He flashed me his pearly whites, placing a hand inside his pocket.

“Mr. Remington, sir?” I cocked my head, passing a hand through my silky black dress and smiling at Jesse who was currently dressed up as a musician. He was wearing his mask but apparently not many seemed to care. He looked handsome in his dark suit, his green eyes shining against his gobble-pipe. There was no one who could play the sax as well as my Jesse.

“Yes?” Vince pursed his lips, obviously annoyed that he was interrupted in his conquest.

“I just want to tell you sir, what an honor it is to play in your party.” Jesse was just as good of an actor as I was. All we had to do was chat up the egg man and we would be in. “Any requests?”

“Anything good will do, pally.” Vincent turned towards me once again.

“We’ll do our best sir.” Jesse smiled. “Oh, your drinks are empty. Here, please.” He grabbed two whiskeys from the bar counter, handing one to me and one to Vince. “Enjoy yourselves.”

Jesse walked away as Vince placed his drink down. “Where were we?”

“Oh please.” I winked. “Tonight’s a night for celebration right? Let’s have a small toast of our own.” I picked up Vince’s drink once again and handed it to him. “For more countless parties to come.”

“And for a kitten like you to have dinner with me sometime soon.” He smirked. “Cheers.”

“Cheers.” I smiled as I watched him drink the Micky Finn. The band started playing as I spun my head towards them, grinning as my baby blue eyes locked with Jesse’s. I winked at him as he winked back, pressing his lips against the gobble-pipe.

“Dance with me.” Vince pulled me towards the crowd of people as we started to jitterbug. He flipped me over his shoulders and it was obvious to me after a while I wasn’t the first girl he spun around his waist. “You’re quite the cat aren’t ya?”

“You could say I have quite the ear for jazz.” I shrugged as I slid in between his legs and pulled myself up to be swung over his shoulders once again. He stopped jitterbugging after a while, pressing his hand against his forehead. “Oh my, are you alright?”

“I’m fine. Just need to lie down for a moment, dollface. Sorry I interrupted our dance.” He muttered as I wrapped his arm around my shoulders.

“Please. Let me help you.” I gave him a slight smile as we started walking towards his room. I turned my head towards Jesse one more time, winking. He looked at me and winked back. Everything was just eggs in a coffee.

Image


I sharpened my knife with the side of Vince’s belt watching him sleep on his bed. He was so pretty to look at it was almost painful. His shutters started to slowly open as they connected with mine. “Wha-,” I slipped the knife within my dress hiding it before he became completely lucid.

I placed a finger on his lips. “Ssh… don’t try to speak. You’re very tired.”

He squirmed around, trying to remove the knots that were tightly wrapped around his wrists and ankles. “Why am I tied up? What’s happening?”

“What do you think is happening?” I smiled, lowering my face and placing it only a couple of inches away from his. “You’re getting robbed, pally.”

“I don’t… if you’re just a gold digger you might’ve as well told me. I could’ve just given you the money and you could’ve gone on your way. There would be no need for formalities like this one.” He laughed. “Untie me.”

“I’m no gold digger. Like you said. I’m just foxy.” I shrugged, kissing his nose. “And you’re just an egg man.”
“So all you want is money? You could’ve just told me.” He looked away. “Instead of tricking me like his.”

“No. You don’t get it. I’m not only here for money.” I walked towards his desk, pulling out his chair and sitting down. “I’m here for something more important.”

“And that is?” He shifted upwards, pulling himself up to a sitting position.

“I researched you. I got all the low down. You are not Mr. Vincent Remington.” I clicked my tongue. “You’re Doctor Vincent Remington. You study and are currently finding a cure for tuberculosis. Isn’t that right?”

“Why do ask?” He questioned, raising an eyebrow.

“Answer the question.” I retorted.

“Yes. I am.” He frowned.

I smiled. “You’re one of the most prolific doctors in the nation. You are within the top section of the doctors who are working hard. So you probably know the cure. Don’t you?”

He raised an eyebrow. “Even if I knew what makes you think I would tell you? Everything we do in there is confidential.”

I pulled out my knife and placed the tip on my top lip kissing it. “For starters, you’ll tell me because if you don’t, I’ll carve this pretty lil’ knife on your leg.” I smiled and stood up, walking slowly towards him as his face started turning pale. “Then I’ll slice it upwards, gently carving my way through your thigh.”

I brought my face just centimeters from his lips. “Can you guess what I’ll cut through next?”

He swallowed hard, toppling back on the bed, as I climbed on top of him. “And your answer is?”

“Fine... just explain to me why you’re even curious about TB. Kittens like you are only worried nowadays about jazz, alcohol and sex.”

“I’m unlike any other doll you’ve ever met.” I placed my hands inside his pant pockets, digging it and grabbing his wallet. “You might be right though. I do love jazz. It’s a small passion of mine. I’ve been told I could be a canary from how sweet my voice is.” I flipped through his wallet, taking out whatever bills and cards he had in there and hiding them in between my dress and my breasts. “But I really do dislike alcohol. The taste is way too strong. Just not my thing.”

He smirked. “What about making whoopee? How’re you with that?”

I raised an eyebrow. “That?” I leaned over his ear. “Well… who doesn’t enjoy sex every now and then?” I pulled myself upwards, getting off his lap and sitting on the bed once again. “But I’m not doing it for any of those. So! If you would please tell me where you keep the cure, I’ll be on my way.”

“What about the moolah?” He asked, turning his head towards where I was.

“Don’t you worry. I already got all the bacon in my pocket.” I smiled.

Image


“Dolly, open up! The party was a complete success. Did everything-,” Jesse knocked on the window of the car, as I buried my face in my lap. “What’s wrong? Open up.”

I wrapped my arms around my legs, hiccupping as tears strolled down my cheeks. “I can’t… I can’t even look at you...”

“Open. Up.” I stretched out my arm, unlocking the door and placing it back to hide my face. He opened the door and sat down next to me, sighing and turning to look at me. “Alright now. What’s going on? You didn’t get the dough? What did egg man say?”

“I g-got the dough alrigh’. I jus’… jus…” I started crying even harder. “I didn’t get the cure! I’m so, so sorry Jesse.”

“What cure?” He raised an eyebrow.

“The cure dammit! The cure for TB. I know I told you that we were going about this dough boy because of all the bread he had on him. And he did. He had even more than we hoped for. But he also… well… I thought he had the cure. He’s one of them doctors who were working to find it. I figured after this long, they finally had it. But according to that son of a bitch they’re still working to find it. All that apparently helps is goddamn fresh air! Can you believe it?! Fresh air! He’s a complete twit!”

“Heh…” He scoffed. “I will never understand you. Why would you go to such trouble? I told you a long time ago from the first time we met that I was going to die. I am at peace with it.”

“Shut up!” I yelled. “You might be at peace with it but I am not! You’re… you’re so… you’re Jesse. You’re my family. So if I have to do something whacky to get you to understand this then I will. I-,”

I stopped. I knew that if I continued I would regret it.

“You?” Jesse asked, cocking his head to the side.

“I love you.”

Jesse was quick.

He pulled down his mask, pushing my lips towards his in such a forceful manner I almost forgot it was Jesse kissing me. As soon as I opened my peepers and regained my composure was when I knew I had just accomplished what I had wanted for so long. As soon as my shutters connected with his, I knew it was Jesse who I needed.

Only Jesse.

Forever Jesse.
♠ ♠ ♠
c/c is much loved!~