Here Comes Your Man

Chapter 1

The bass of the music could be felt through the cement as the girls drove up to the house where the annual ‘Start of Summer’ bash was being thrown. Though it had been a long time since they had actually been in school, that didn’t stop them and the other 20 something’s from coming together and partying it up like it was their own high school graduation.

“Ugh, are you sure you wanna go to this thing, Rea? Wouldn’t you rather go home instead? I’m pretty sure it’s Shark Week on the discovery channel!” Pyper said way too enthusiastically for a normal 22 year old.

“Wow, Pype, could you be any more of a grandma? Aside from sharks being like the top fear in my life, that sounds like the lamest thing to do on a Saturday night. Now come on, don’t be a party pooper. I went to that lame-ass concert with you the other night, the least you could do is go to this lil’ old party for me” Reagan joked as she got out of the car, looking behind her at the bombshell of a girl that was her best friend, Pyper.

“Hey! That concert was awesome and if I remember correctly, I wasn’t the one who was making out with the guitarist at the end of the night.” Pyper retorted, sticking her tongue out at Reagan as she walked up to the front door of house, ringing the doorbell.

A few seconds went by as the girls’ took the time to make some last minute touches to their outfits, before the door swung open, revealing their friend and host for the night, Dane Reynolds.

Dane was a pro-surfer who, when he wasn’t competing in events around the world, liked to party and hangout in his not-so-humble abode that sat on some of Maui’s most prime and heavenly sand. Though he was notorious for the parties and women that he loved, he was a genuinely nice guy who had always had a brother-like affection for the two girls standing before him.

“Well if it isn’t my two favorite Hawaiian babes!” Dane proclaimed, wrapping them all into a bear hug, being careful not to spill the contents of his red cup in the process.

The girls’ laughed as he offered each of them an arm and escorted them inside the house where the sudden crowd of people dancing and goofing off was almost overwhelming.

“How was New Zealand?” Pyper asked, trying her best to not stare at a girl in a thong bikini doing a keg stand. Though she would never be found crawling out of a party at 5 A.M., she also knew how to appreciate a good one, and Dane was notorious for throwing the best.

“Oh man, it was sick. Waves like you wouldn’t believe. You would’ve loved it, Pype. But as for you…” He said looking over at Reagan “You probably would’ve died”

“Oh, hardy har har” Reagan mimicked as she watched them high five “Go ahead and make fun of my lack of surfing ability, but just remember who’s fashion sense dresses you every day. Don’t come crawlin’ to me next time you want to know what to wear on a date.” She threatened before storming off, most likely in search of the bar or a man. Pyper and Dane chuckled as they watched her storm off, un-knowingly catching the attention of at least 20 guys as she walked past.

“So what’s happened since I’ve been gone?” Dane asked, taking a sip of his drink. “Still workin’ at the shop?”

Pyper scoffed. “What type of question is that? Of course I’m still working there. I’ll be working there until the day I die an old, lonely beach maid” She laughed, though on the inside she knew it was most likely true.

The shop that he was referring to was “North Shore Surf Shop”, a little place found on one of Maui’s more remote beaches. The beach was more of a hassle to get to then most, hidden behind a nice hike of rocky terrain, so it was mainly frequented only by locals, and the rare tourist who accidently stumbled upon it and was rewarded for their curiosity. Pyper had worked there since she was 15 and held no place closer to her heart.

Dane playfully pushed her on the shoulder. “Speaking of old and lonely,” He started, “How’s the dating life?”

“It depends on how you would rate ‘non-existent’”

“Ugh” Dane groaned, looking down at the gorgeous girl sitting next to him “That’s what has always pissed me off about you, Pyper”

Pyper was a bit taken aback by his brashness and got ready to defend herself before Dane cut her off and continued.

“I mean, you’re smart, you’re sexy, not to mention funny, which is basically every guys’ dream, but you always do that. You always sell yourself short!”

“I do not. “ Pyper said indignantly “I do not sell myself short, guys do. All my past boyfriends have been the demise of our relationships, not me. They either cheated, or thought we were better as ‘just friends’, or he just ‘wasn’t in the right “mind place” to have a girlfriend! Whatever the hell that means” She said with a roll of her eyes.

“Ok, so your ex-boyfriends were douche bags, that’s true. But that doesn’t mean all guys are. I mean, hey, look at me” He said, gesturing to himself.

Pyper eyed him warily.

“Ok fine, bad example” He admitted, causing them to both laugh. “But seriously Pype, you need a man. I want to see you happy with some guy, having someone to do lame couple-ly things with, like wear matching shirts or be so cutesy that you make people want to vomit on the beach. Plus, it could release all that pent up sexual frustration you must have. I don’t know how you survive without jumping every guy you come in contact with” Dane joked as Pyper cheeks flushed and she playfully pushed him away.

Though Pyper hated to admit it, she did think of those things. A Lot.

Well, not so much the ‘sexual tension’ stuff, but the other stuff. The holding hands and having someone to text ‘goodnight’ to and being the first person you think of in the morning. Other people had it, why couldn’t she?

She shook her head quickly, trying to rid herself of such silly thoughts of boyfriends and love. Sure she believed in them, but they were meant for other types of girls, and Pyper had come to accept that fact a long time ago.

“Well thank you Dane, I appreciate the concern. I’ll take your opinion into consideration”

Dane smiled, recognizing Pyper’s diplomatic voice and accepting the fact that, at least in her book, his time to prove his point was up.

“Look Pype, I’m just looking out for…”

His sentence was interrupted by a loud crash of broken glass coming from the kitchen, followed by loud cheers and what possibly sounded like someone sobbing.

Pyper & Dane exchanged weary glances.

“Well, I better go take care of that and then I’m gonna go search for an outlet of sexual tension of my own” He said laughing, causing Pyper to grimace at the mental picture that followed. “Love ya, Pype. I’ll stop by the shop tomorrow”

Pyper nodded and waved as she watched him walk away, quickly being consumed by the pulsating crowd.

She laughed and shook her head at her friend’s antics. Dane was a character, that was for sure, but at least he was one of the good ones.

And who knew? Maybe he was right; maybe it was time for her to get back on the wild ride that was a relationship…

’Nah’ She thought to herself before tossing back the rest of her drink.

’As a wise woman once said, "A wise girl kisses but doesn't love, listens but doesn't believe, and leaves before she is left.... ’
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey guys! Ok so that was the first chapter of my new Shaun White story! What do ya think? Was the ending too TMI? Or…what? Sorry that it was kind of boring, it’s just necessary to lay the groundwork. I promise Shaun will be in the next chapter and Pyper won’t be such a fuddy-duddy. :p Comments would be super helpful! Chapter 2 coming up soon! <3 Jess