Status: A Brian Haner Jr Story. Active.

Give up Forever to Touch You

Chapter 16

With a smile on his face, Brian walked up to his former front door and knocked; only having to wait a brief moment before Michelle answered.

“Good morning.” He greeted with a smile as he walked into the house.

“Morning.” She muttered in reply, closing the door behind him. “Happy birthday.”

“Thanks. Are the kids ready to go?” he replied.

“Ella is. Connor’s up in his room sulking.” Michelle told him simply.

“Sulking? Why?” Brian asked, confused.

“Because I told him he can’t go with you to the beach.” Michelle told him.

“What? Why? Has he done something wrong?” he asked.

“He’s just come out of hospital Brian! He has a broken arm and a bruised rib, do you really think the beach is the best place to take him?” she yelled.

“We’re having a fucking picnic! What the fuck do you think is going to happen to him?” he yelled back.

“He’s not going Brian! He’s my son and I say no!” she retorted, her arms folded across her chest.

Brian shook his head, “He’s my son too. It’s my birthday and I’m spending it with my kids, even if we don’t go to the beach. We can have the picnic in the back yard if we have to.”

“He’s staying here where I can keep an eye on him.” Michelle said firmly.
Brian opened his mouth to say something, quickly stopping himself. He took a deep breath before speaking. “He’s coming with me like we agreed.” He said calmly beginning to make his way towards the stairs.

“I don’t want him anywhere near her!” Michelle growled making him stop in his tracks.

“That’s what all this is about? Andie? But why not stop Ella too?” he retorted with confusion.

“I don’t…” she began.

“You don’t want him seeing her because of what happened in the hospital, because of what he said to her.” Brian said realisation spreading over his face.

“He’s my son Brian and he loves her.” she said quietly.

Brian sighed, taking a step back towards her, “That doesn’t me he doesn’t love you. You’re his mother. But of course he loves her; she’s been a huge part of his life for over a year. He’s six Chel, he doesn’t understand what’s been going on these past six months. You can’t stop him from seeing me and Andie just because you’re jealous of his relationship with her. He’s my son too, I’m with Andie now, so she is going to continue to be in his life, and if I’ve got anything to do with it she’ll be his step mom at some point.” Brian said.

“Step-mom? You’re going to marry her?” Michelle asked.

Brian nodded, “Hopefully, at some point in our future together, yeah.”

Michelle didn’t reply, she just nodded, quietly turning towards the living room. Brian sighed, turning back towards the stairs. When he reached Connor’s room, he knocked lightly on the door, opening it without waiting for an answer.

“Are you ready to go?” he asked Connor who was sat on the bed, reading a book.

“Mommy said I couldn’t.” he said with a pout.

“Well, I’ve talked to mommy and we’ve decided that you can come, but to make mommy happy, we’ll have the picnic in the back yard instead okay?” Brian replied smiling as Connor smiled back, leaping from the bed.

“Really?” he asked.

“Yeah, come on, let’s go say good bye to your mother and get your sister.” Brian said stepping out of the bedroom to allow Connor to pass.

~*~

Packing the drinks into the picnic hamper, Andie looked up at the sound of the front door opening. Connor was the first into the kitchen, quickly followed by Ella and Brian.

“Hey.” she said with a warm smile. “How’s the arm little dude?”

“It’s okay, it still hurts a bit and the cast is itchy though.” Connor replied waving it slightly.

“But are you still going to be able to help your sisters and me build sand castles later?” Andie asked.

Connor looked up at her confused, “But daddy said we can’t go to the beach cos mommy doesn’t want me to, so we’re having a picnic in the back yard instead.”

“Oh.” She replied, glancing up at Brian who nodded.

“Yeah, Michelle doesn’t want him to go to the beach, so we’re having the picnic here instead.” Brian explained.

“What?” Andie asked confused.

“I’ll explain later.” Brian said quietly, glancing at Connor, Andie nodded in understanding.

“Okay then, in that case, let’s go.” She said, grabbing the hamper off the counter as Brian picked Abi up out of her high chair.

They placed the picnic blanket down on the lawn, Andie unpacking the food and drinks and serving the food out to everyone.

“Come and help me Connor.” Andie said as she got up from the blanket. Connor followed her, Brian watching with slight confusion as they disappeared back into the house.

“What am I helping you with Andie?” Connor asked excitedly as they entered the kitchen.

“This.” she said getting a chocolate cake out of the fridge.

“Chocolate cake!” he exclaimed, his eyes widening as Andie placed a lone candle on the top, reaching for a lighter.

“Why is he only having one candle?” Connor asked.

“Because I’d be here all day if I put all the candles on there and lit them, and the chocolate would melt.” She said with a smile, lighting the candle. “Now, I need you to help me sing happy birthday to him when we get out there okay.”

Connor nodded, leading the way back outside, bursting into a chorus of happy birthday as soon as he was through the door. Brian watched with a smile on his face, Abi sat on his lap as Ella tried her best to join in with the singing.

“Oh wow, look at that cake. Thank you guys.” Brian said once he’d blown out the candle.

“Would the birthday boy like to do the honours and cut us some?” Andie asked. “There’s a knife in the hamper."

“I would love to, but you’ll have to take our daughter.” He replied, passing her Abi. He cut the cake, each of them having a piece.

“Can you read to me for a while now?” Connor asked as he licked the chocolate icing off his small fingers.

“I don’t know, I thought you may want to do something with your dad seeing that it’s his birthday.” Andie said with a quick glance in Brian’s direction.

Connor looked at his dad who smiled, “You two go and read, I’ve got my two beautiful daughters to keep me company.”

“Come on then, lets find us a book to read, there’s plenty up in your room.” Andie said, Connor quickly getting to his feet taking hold of her hand as they made their way back into the house.

They spent the rest of the afternoon sat outside in the back yard, Connor and Andie sat on the bench reading as Brian, Ella and Abi spent most of their time in the pool, until a tired Abi signified that it was time for the three children to get ready for bed.

“Come on little dude, your turn.” Brian said once both the girls were sleeping.

“Oh, just five more minutes, please.” He said before yawning.

“No, come on, you know the rules, Ella’s asleep so you have to get ready for bed.” Andie said with a smile.

Connor pouted, pushing himself up off the sofa. “Good night Andie.” he said leaning to kiss her cheek.

“Good night sweetie.” she replied with a smile watching as Brian picked him up over his shoulder to carry him up the stairs laughing.

She got off the sofa, heading to the kitchen to pour herself and Brian both a glass of wine before heading back into the living room, Brian joining her moments later.

“Thank you for today, it’s been great.” Brian said as he pulled Andie gently into his arms, pulling her against his chest, kissing her cheek. “I loved having all three of the kids, and you together, everyone happy.”

“You’re welcome, I’ve had a lovely day too, especially after how Connor had been with me.” she replied, lacing his fingers with hers, “So now that the kids are in bed, why exactly didn’t we go to the beach today?”

Brian sighed, “Michelle didn’t want him going because of his arm.”

“What?”

“Well that’s what she said at first anyway. I got the truth out of her though. She didn’t want him being around you.” he replied.

“What? Why?” she yelled, sitting up, turning to face Brian. “What does she think I’m going to do to him?”

“Nothing baby, but she’s jealous of the relationship the two of you have.” He replied with a faint smile.

“Jealous?” Andie repeated quietly.

“Yeah, she always was a little jealous of the way you two interacted together. she never said anything, but sometimes there’d be a look on her face and I just knew. And now, with what he said at the hospital, wanting you there for the scan and telling you that he loves you, I think it’s scared her, I think she’s worried that you’ll replace her.” he explained.

“But I would never-“ Andie stated with a shake of her head.

“I know babe.” He replied with a soft smile, taking hold of her hand again. “And I don’t want to sound like I’m making excuses for her behaviour, but she’s been through a lot these past six months.”

“I know.” she replied with a sigh and a nod, a smile appearing on her lips as she looked up into his eyes. “Happy Birthday.” she murmured leaning forward to press her lips to his, Brian’s hands quickly reaching up to the back of her neck to keep them together before gently ushering her backwards onto the sofa.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments. More? :)