Status: Completed

Stealing Stars

Check You Out

I have tried on countless outfits since I got home. I have nothing to wear. I’ve called Lola. I’ve called Katia. I’m hopless. I finally settle on wearing a white tank top which I tucked into the waist of my sequined mini skirt along with a pair of black lace-up wedges. I don’t look too bad. I hope I can get out of the house without being stopped for dressing inappropriately even though I’m dressed like a seventeen year old of today.

The clock reads 6:55 so I head downstairs to meet Blake at his car. My dad is sitting on the couch watching TV. The World Cup is on. He doesn’t even like soccer. “Bye dad I'll see you tomorrow.”

He looks me up and down studying my outfit. “Where are you going tonight?” He asks with genuine interest mixed with concern.

“The end of finals party at Isabel Stark’s house.”

“Will her parents be there?” He raises one eyebrow at me.

I hadn’t even thought to ask that question so good question there dad. “Yeah.” I assume they’ll be there.

“When will you be home?”

“You and mom gave me two a.m. curfew for summer. So I'll see you no later than two.” I back up out of the living room. I pick up my purse that only holds my wallet, keys, lip gloss, cell phone, and my IPod.

But my dad asks one final question, “Are you driving?” Or at least I hope it’s his final question.

“No. Blake’s driving me.” My dad’s features visibly relax I hadn’t seen him tense but apparently he was. “Bye Dad. See ya’.”

“Have fun Chandler. Don’t do anything you normally wouldn’t do.”

“ ‘Kay!” I yell as I run out the front door.

Blake’s leaning up against the passenger door of his Jeep. As he sees me he gets up and opens the door for me. Who the hell is he today?

“Thanks.”

“You’re welcome.”

I get into the car and he closes the door and gets into the driver’s seat. We both watch our mothers as they watch us pull out of the driveway.

“They look like they’re about to cry.” I say referring to our moms.

“They always have that look when we go somewhere new together.” The way he says together makes it sound like we have more in common than living next door to each other.

I look over at Blake while he drives. He looks nice tonight. He is wearing a nice pair of dark jeans with a shirt that can go either way with the casual or dressy vibe. “You look nice.” I say but the minute it comes out of my mouth I want to take it back.

“Thanks.” He smiles at the road. The one thing about Blake that most people don’t know it that when he’s driving he does not, for whatever the reason, take his eyes off the road.

But once we’re at a stop light he turns and looks at me. He even leans back to check out my shoes. “You look pretty tonight. I didn’t say anything earlier because I thought it might be weird.” For a minute there I begin to think I’m in an alternate universe. Then the light turns green but he doesn’t see it because he is still looking at me.

I blush before telling him that the light changed. His eyes are back on the road and we are almost at Isabel’s house. When we pull up we park a little ways down from the front of her house. Reason one: to not alert too many neighbors of a teenage party. Reason two: If we park far enough away people won’t know we’re here unless they look for us or happen to see us. Although it might be because Blake doesn’t want many people seeing us arrive together.

But my last thought about Blake not wanting to be seen with me is squashed to bits. We walk up to the door together and Blake is doing this weird smile but trying to hide it sort of thing. It would look very strange on anyone but him. But he pulls it off with ease.

“I'll come find you when I want to leave and vice versa. So just come and look for me.” He tells me before he pulls open the front door to Isabel’s house because really, who would be able to hear the door bell when the music is blasting as loud as it is.
♠ ♠ ♠
Twenty subscribers! Seriously, to me that is pretty amazing. Thank you : )