Heaven Help Us

So Shut Your Eyes, Kiss Me Goodbye And Sleep

“Scarlet? Was that something to do with home?” asked Gerard breaking the silence, still wrapped around me.

All I could do was nod.

“What’s wrong scarlet? You can tell me anything” he said while gazing deeply into my eyes.

“My dad he-he..he abuses me.” that’s all I managed to say before breaking down into more tears.

“We will get this sorted out scar, I promise you, I’ll keep you safe. All the guys will, I mean it.” he said, I could see tears starting to from in his eyes.

“He told me he would kill me if I told anyone. He does it all the time. He comes home drunk, then he starts beating me and……” I stopped and looked down at my feet.

“Scarlet, what does he do?”

“He-he rapes me.” I choked on my tears. “If I don’t let him, he beats me more. He holds a knife to my throat. He blames me for my mums death. He said that’s why he does it.” I sobbed.

“Oh scar, I feel awful.” he cried. “Does anyone else know?” he asked.

“No, you’re the first person I’ve ever told. I told you because I can trust you. I really want to tell Mikey, I just don’t know how.”

“Well if you want I can tell him, but ill keep a secret I you don’t want me telling him.” he said.

Gerard suddenly went pale, just stared at me. More tears forming in his eyes. He grabbed me and cupped my face in his hands. He started to slowly trace my bruises and scars with his fingers. My makeup had started to come of because of my tears. I trusted him enough to show my deeper hidden scars, I slowly rolled the sleeves of my jumper up revealing loads of slashes that covered my arms. He just stared and cried.

“Scarlet, i’m so glad you are trusting me with this.” he said while he held me close and rocked me soothingly back and forth. He showed so emotion, I was so glad I had him there. I was glad to have him. I never wanted to let go.

After a while Mikey returned with a box of handkerchiefs and a glass of milk. He sat down on the bed beside me and when I turned round to face him he went as white as a ghost when he saw my uncovered face. Mikey wrapped his arms tightly round me and Gerard and I noticed tears run down his cheeks. I knew from that point that these were my best friends, they cared so much about me and they have only known me for a day. It was fate.

After a while Gerard lay me down, I was so tired and he could tell.

“You should rest, try and sleep, ok scar?” he said as he kissed me on my forehead. “goodnight.” he whispered as him and Mikey walked out of the room and down the stairs.

Gerard was probably going to explain to Mikey what was wrong. I’m sure Mikey was in a state of confusion. I must have fell asleep after a while of just lying holding onto a small teddy that had been lying on the pillow beside me. When I woke, the light was of, it was dark outside and I was covered in a blanket. Mikey and Gerard each sleeping at either side of me, holding onto me, as if someone was going to steal me from them.