Status: Complete!

Nothing in This World Can Compare to You

Broken

[Dylan]

I woke up to the sound of sobbing the next morning. I was confused for a few seconds, until I remembered everything that had happened last night. Nate broke up with Ash and kicked him out! Scrambling out of my bed, I ran out into the small living room, confirming what I’d thought – Ash was crying uncontrollably on the pull-out sofa bed. In silence I walked over to him and pulled him into my arms, sitting down as he buried his face in my neck, getting more hysterical with human contact.

“IT HURTS! IT HURTS SO FUCKING MUCH!!” Ash screamed.

“I know, Ash, I know,” I whispered.

It breaks my heart to see him like this, especially when everything that happened last night was not his fault at all.

“NO YOU DON’T KNOW, DYLAN! I LOVE HIM AND HE HATES ME! I HAVE NOTHING TO LIVE FOR ANYMORE!!” Ash shrieked, his skinny arms beating at my chest.

I sighed and held his arms easily. I don’t know what to say to comfort him but I won’t let him go on a suicidal route. He’s so much better than that.

“You have everything you live for. Don’t you dare let that English bastard make you think otherwise,” I growled.

“He was my English bastard,” Ash whimpered, resting his head against my chest as he curled up even more.

I rubbed Ash’s back as he cried a little longer, trying to think of something that would make him feel better. What am I supposed to do? I’ve never been in a situation like this before. Oscar was always our go-to guy, but I’ll just have to do things my way.

“I’ll tell you what we’re going to do. You stay in my room today, I’ll go into your work and tell everyone what happened, get that Italian shit fired and then get your stuff from...Stone’s apartment. You won’t have to do anything. And I’ll get Geoff to look after you today, okay? Like food and shit. I think he has to go into work for, like, an hour but he’ll be back after that. You’re with people who care about you, and that’s all that matters. I’m here for you, Ash, as is Geoff,” I murmured into his ear, rubbing his back.

It took Ash a few seconds to calm his sobbing before he lifted his head.

“O-Okay. Can you get m-my mom to call me?” Ash whimpered.

“Of course I can Ashy. Go and sleep in my bed, alright? I’ll take care of everything,” I nodded, just glad that he was co-operating.

“Is it always going to hurt as much as this?” Ash asked me, his eyes glazing over again.

There was no point lying to him.

“For a while, yeah. But take this as a sign, Ash – you are worth so much more, and now you have the chance to embrace that. I’m not saying to throw yourself into the love game right away, but don’t cut yourself off. You’ll need time to heal obviously, but he can’t control you anymore. You are the son of international fashion designer Dawn Barton, and you can fucking rule,” I smirked.

Ash giggled lightly, wiping his tears. Wow, I’m better at motivational speeches than I thought!

“Come on, let’s get you to my room,” I smiled.

I carried Ash in my arms to my bedroom, laying him down on my bed, covering him with my duvet. He just looks so...broken. And as much as all of us are going to wish it, Ash won’t recover from this easily. I swear I’m going to give Nate a piece of my mind when I go to get Ash’s stuff. I have no reason to be civil to him anymore, that’s for sure.

*

I pulled up outside Darla Designs about an hour later after having talked to Geoff, and took a deep breath. This was going to be...awkward. I know for a fact that Ash was meant to be in early this morning and that he hasn’t answered his cellphone at all. After a final few seconds of hesitation, I got out my car, locked it and headed into the building. Almost immediately, Dawn came rushing towards me.

“Dylan! Where’s Ashley?! Is he okay? Why isn’t he answering my calls!” she asked, worried.

“This could take a while, so can we sit down somewhere?” I said sadly.

Ash’s mom whimpered but nodded, hurriedly leading me towards her office. I saw Ash’s friend Dan on the way and grabbed his arm, dragging him along with us. When Dawn had shut her door, I turned to the both of them.

“I don’t want any interruptions, because it’s not a nice story,” I started.

“O-Okay,” Dawn whispered.

I sat down opposite Ash’s mom, as did Dan.

“Last night Nate, Ash, Geoff and I went to a bar. Near the end of the night, that Italian model Ricardo Della Valle forced himself onto Ash while Nate was watching, and Nate punched him. When Ricardo was on the floor, Nate and Ash went outside while we made sure that security kicked out the Italian. When we got outside, Nate and Ash were screaming at each other. Nate didn’t believe that Ricardo had forcefully kissed Ash – Nate believed that Ash had willingly cheated on him. When Geoff and I tried to defend Ash, because we saw the whole kissing incident and know the truth, Nate started verbally abusing us, which made Geoff furious. Then Nate told Ash that he didn’t love him anymore and broke up with him, as well as kicking him out of the apartment,”

“Oh my gosh!” Dawn gasped.

“Dawn, please, I’m not finished,” I said softly.

His mom just nodded. Dan looked absolutely livid.

“Ash was distraught and broke down sobbing, so I punched Nate, who then ran off. Geoff and I took Ash back to our apartment, and that’s where he is now. I woke up this morning to him sobbing, and then when I went out to see him, he started screaming and shouting stuff like ‘I have nothing to live for anymore’. I can’t let him go down a suicidal road – he’s worth so much more than that!” I finished.

Dan and Dawn stayed silent for a few seconds, processing my words.

“I can’t believe that Ashley has wasted 5 years of love on that British jackass,” Dawn finally said.

“Hey, don’t lump his nationality with mine – he’s English, I’m Scottish,” Dan grumbled.

“Sorry,” Dawn sighed.

“If I ever see Nate again, I’m gonna kick his face in,” Dan growled.

“Ash is in a really bad place right now, and I don’t think working would do him any good. After here I’m going over to Nate’s apartment to get all of Ash’s stuff, but he needs a stable place to move into – my and Geoff’s pull-out sofa bed isn’t good enough for him,” I sighed, chewing my lip ring.

“He can move into my new house with me. I’ve still kept our family house, but this new one is a lot bigger and much more suited for my new lifestyle. And Ash doesn’t have to work for me anymore – he can live the life he deserves as the son of an international fashion designer,” Dawn announced immediately.

I smiled, remembering saying something similar this morning.

“I’ll help you get Ash’s stuff. Fuck knows he has enough clothes,” Dan added.

“Thanks, I’ll need the help,” I chuckled.

“I can’t believe my poor baby was so destroyed last night. I really can’t. I thought Nate was so good for him, but to make a stupid decision like that?” Dawn said angrily.

“No-one thinks straight when they’re drunk and angry, especially not after seeing someone they hate kissing their loved one. Personally, I would fire Ricardo. He’s already signed an agreement that releases any pictures of him so far, right? Just use them for your new menswear campaign, hire three more models so there’s a range of different men, and ship that Italian asshole all the way back to where he came from. And threaten him with the end of his career so that he won’t spread bad press – you know a lot of influential people that would make sure he will never be anything special,” I suggested firmly.

“Dylan makes a good point – and Ricardo’s always seemed a bit devious to me anyway,” Dan shrugged.

Dawn looked between the two of us, before nodding.

“Alright, fine. Especially if he hurt my baby boy,” Dawn muttered.

“Oh, Ash wants you to call him. He needs his mother right now,” I said with a weak smile.

Tears welled up in Dawn’s eyes and she looked away from us.

“And a mother he shall get,” she sniffed.

I squeezed her hand lightly, and stood up, before looking at Dan.

“Are you okay to go get Ash’s stuff now? I don’t want to leave him alone for too long – Geoff had to go in to work quickly as I left,” I asked Ash’s Scottish friend.

“Yeah, I’m free. Should we take Ash’s belongings straight to yours, Dawn?” Dan smiled.

“Of course. The spare key is under the plant pot by the door,” Dawn nodded.

I was slightly surprised that she told us so willingly where her spare key was, but I guess she trusts Dan as much as she trusts me. After all, we are both extremely close to her son.

“Alright, let’s get going then,” I said as enthusiastically as I could.

Dan and I walked silently out of the building, and silently to my car. I turned to him as I got into the car though.

“I just want to warn you that I will probably punch Nate. At least a few times,” I announced.

“Fine by me. He never liked me anyway, and I only pretended to like him for Ash’s sake,” Dan shrugged.

I couldn’t help but laugh. I can see why Ash and Dan get along so well, that’s for sure.

“Mm, I remember Nate drunkenly saying that he thought you had a crush on Ash,” I mused.

Dan stayed silent, and my jaw dropped. Nate was actually right for once!

“Ash needs a friend right now, and that’s what he’s going to get,” was all that Dan said.

The rest of the ride was silent, and I was glad when I parked outsideAsh and Nate’s apartment. Seeing as I stole Ash’s key from him earlier, we were able to get in quickly and quietly. I held a finger to my lips as I opened their front door, letting Dan shut it behind us.

“Where is he?” Dan whispered.

“No idea. And I don’t care. If you start by picking up Ash’s lame DVD collection and camera parts from the living room, I’ll go to the bedroom and get his clothes. Join me there,” I told him.

“Sure thing,” Dan nodded.

We split up and I headed down the corridor to the bedroom. I opened the door and scowled when I saw Nate lying face down intheir his bed. I flicked the lights on and off a few times before turning them on fully, walking over to the wardrobe. Nate grunted and shuffled around, but I paid no attention, pulling the suitcases that I know are Ash’s off the top of the wardrobe.

“What the fuck are you doing here?” Nate spat.

“Collecting Ash’s stuff because he’s too distraught to come,” I growled, not even turning around as I pulled out Ash’s jeans.

“Oh fuck off, will you?” Nate muttered, “Stop getting involved in everything,”

That made me mad, so I spun on my heels, facing the boy that broke my best friend’s heart. Oh good, I gave him a black eye last night.

“I am this close to breaking your neck with my bare hands, Stone. You have no idea of the pain and agony Ash is going through right now, so just shut the fuck up. As soon as Dan and I are finished here, we’re not coming within 100 metres of you, trust me,” I sneered.

“Dan’s here?” Nate growled.

I rolled my eyes, not even bothering to reply. I turned back around and packed Ash’s t-shirts, shirts, formal pants, jeans, shoes, shorts, hats and hoodies. Fuck, Dan was right about the amount of clothes Ash has! I zipped them closed, noticing out the corner of my eye that Nate was just sitting on the edge of the bed, watching me. I kept my face blank as I picked up the cases and walked out of the room, leaving the stuff in the hall as I realised Dan was picking Ash’s things from the bathroom.

“Thought I might as well,” Dan shrugged.

“If you’re done, get the fuck out of my apartment,” Nate called from the bedroom.

I motioned for Dan to start taking stuff down to the car and walked back into the bedroom.

“I don’t know what the fuck happened to make you change, but I hope you’re happy with the misery you’re causing Ash. He loved you with all his life and was prepared to end it this morning because he would never be with you again,” I said sharply.

Nate’s jaw dropped slightly and worry clouded his features. So Nate does care! I wanted to soften then, and try to get Ash and Nate to sort things out, but then I remembered how Ash was screaming this morning, and hardened over again.

“Chew on that, yeah?” I muttered.

I started to walk back down the corridor, when I remembered what I wanted to do most. So quickly walking back into the bedroom, I swung my fist and punched Nate square in the face. He cried out and fell backwards, only making me grin at my bloody fist.

“You broke his heart, so I broke your nose,” I spat.

And with that, I left.
♠ ♠ ♠
I would just like to point out to those who think that the events of the last chapter had no reason to happen, that it was extremely hard for me to write. EXTREMELY hard - but it was necessary for the story to continue without being wish-wash and predictable and boring.

Ash is distraught.
Dylan has back-up.
Nate is shocked.

Comments please?
xo