Status: Complete!

Nothing in This World Can Compare to You

Note.

[Dylan]

Today’s the day Ash gets back from Paris. He’s been gone a month, and the news about him has only got worse. He’s really gone wild, and I don’t like it one bit. Misty, Sam, Geoff and I are really worried about him, but it’s only me picking him up from the airport. Geoff’s at work, as are Sam and Misty. When his flight was announced as having arrived, I pushed my way to the front of the barrier, waiting to see him. What I did see was a short tattooed blonde mess.

“Ash! Over here!” I called desperately.

What the fuck has he done now? Ash giggled and gave the man next to him a long embarrassing kiss, and whispered in his ear, before stumbling over to me.

“Are you…drunk?” I asked, disgusted.

“Maybe? What’s it to you?” Ash hiccupped.

“I’m your best friend, Ash. That’s why I care,” I retorted, narrowing my eyes at him.

“Don’t get your panties in a bunch! What’s your problem?” Ash laughed.

“This isn’t funny Ash. You’re just making yourself look stupid,” I said through gritted teeth.

“I could never look stupid, I’m Ashley Barton. Now if you’ll excuse me, I have a hot piece of ass to share a limo with,” Ash smiled dreamily.

“I’m taking you home, Ash,” I said through gritted teeth.

“I’d like to see you try!” Ash grinned.

Before I could reply, Ash had pushed his way through the crowd, and I’d lost him. Who the fuck does he think he is? Treating me like shit? With a growl, I pushed my way out of the airport, and stormed over to my car, before driving off. It’s taking sooo much self-control not to stop off somewhere and beat the crap out of someone, it really is. How Ash acted…fucking hell, I can’t even describe how mad it made me, I really can’t. After an hour of driving, I got back to mine and Geoff’s apartment. He should be back from work by now.

“Geoff? You home?” I called loudly.

“Yeah Dyl, in the kitchen!” Geoff called back.

I walked into our kitchen, the deep scowl on my face making Geoff frown.

“He’s changed badly, hasn’t he?” Geoff sighed.

“You have no fucking idea how badly. He was drunk out of his mind, for a start, and his attitude was just shitty. And then he basically told me to fuck off because he was going somewhere with a random guy he met on the plane! He’s out of control!” I exasperated.

Geoff’s jaw dropped as he processed my words. I just clenched my fists, taking slow breaths. Calm down, Dylan, calm down.

“What should we do?” Geoff finally said.

It made me smile a little that Geoff wanted to help. The two of us fell silent, thinking of possibilities that would stop Ash being such an idiot. In the end, there was only one reasonable idea that I could actually believe would work.

“I think…I-I need to talk to Nate. About Ash,” I said nervously.

“Are you serious?” Geoff asked, surprised.

Well, it’s not every day that I’ll willingly talk to Nate, is it?

“Yeah. Ash needs to be put right. Like how he was when…Ash and Nate were together,” I nodded.

“Alright, let’s go then,” Geoff announced, standing up.

“What, right now?” I asked, confused.

“Why not? I’m meant to be seeing him today anyway,” Geoff shrugged.

I sighed, before standing up too. Here goes nothing. I drove the two of us over to -shudder- Louise’s apartment, cutting the engine and getting out. Geoff knocked on the door, and it didn’t take very long for Louise to answer.

“What are you doing here?” she spat.

“We’ve come to see Nate?” Geoff retorted, folding his arms over his chest.

“I kicked his faggot ass out yesterday,” Louise snapped, and tried to shut the door.

But Geoff put his arm out and easily stopped it. What the fuck happened here?

“Why?” I growled.

“I found a DVD of him having sex with a blonde freak. I don’t want fucking AIDS!” Louise sneered.

Ash. Oh my fuck.

“Listen to me, whore. You aren’t even half the person that Nate’s ex was, so don’t you dare judge him,” Geoff said angrily.

“What-the-fuck-ever. He left yesterday and I don’t know, or care, where he went. Now leave before I call the cops,” Louise replied, rolling her eyes.

Geoff clenched his fists so I quickly grabbed his shoulder, pulling him away. As we walked back down the stairs, Geoff let out an angry breath.

“I swore I would never hit a woman, but god damn I wanted to hit her,” Geoff grunted.

“I know, but we’ve got to find Nate,” I sighed.

“He’ll be at his and Ash’s old place. He never sold it, remember?” Geoff told me.

He didn’t?

Within 20 minutes, I pulled up outside the apartment Geoff said Nate would be at. I really hope he’s right. Nate might be our last chance of stopping Ash’s rampage. Right now I can willingly admit that I want Nate and Ash to get back together. There, I said it. Separated, they’ve done nothing but self-destruct, and that’s got to stop. Before one of them gets hurt for real.

“Nate?” Geoff called, banging on the door.

No answer.

“Nate?” Geoff called again, banging louder.

No answer. Geoff sighed and pulled a key out of his pocket, and unlocked the door.

“Josh copied Nate’s keys just in case we couldn’t get hold of Nate,” Geoff explained softly, walking into the apartment.

Something felt wrong. It’s far too quiet in here. Far too quiet. Geoff and I shared a look, letting me know he thought exactly the same thing.

“You check the bedroom, I’ll check the bathroom,” Geoff said quietly.

I just nodded, the two of us walking up the corridor to the neighboring rooms. I clicked open the door seconds before Geoff did his door, but there was no-one in the bedroom.

“Fucking hell,” Geoff whimpered from behind me.

I whirled around to look into the bathroom, only to see Nate’s motionless body sitting in the shower, both wrists slit and a pool of blood around him. No, no this can’t be happening. Nate wouldn’t…no! Why the fuck did he do this?! Geoff was frozen in shock so I quickly pulled out my cellphone and dialed emergency services.

“Hello? I need an ambulance right now,” I panicked.

“What’s the problem, sir?” the operator asked simply.

“I just walked into my friend’s apartment to see him unconscious. He’s slit his wrists and he’s lost a shit load of blood,” I rambled, my eyes never leaving Nate.

“What’s the address?”

I told her where we were and she promised an ambulance would be here as soon as possible. Shutting my phone, I watched Geoff walk over to Nate’s body and press his finger to Nate’s neck.

“He’s got a really weak pulse. He might make it,” Geoff sniffed, trying to fight tears.

I grabbed two towels and threw one to Geoff. We pressed the towels to Nate’s wrists to stop any more blood leaving his body. I pressed a little harder and his arm moved to the side, his hand flopping open. Inside his hand was a crumpled piece of paper.

“Geoff,” I whispered.

Geoff choked a sob and picked up the note, opening it up and reading aloud.

Dear Geoff,

I know it’s you that found me. Well, not only are we meant to meet up today, but you’re the only one that still gives a shit about me. I’m sorry I had to do this, I really am. But…I give up. On everything. I’m assuming you went to that crack whore’s apartment and she told you that we broke up. Well, that’s true. I was sorting out some old stuff that I wanted to throw away, and I went for a bathroom break, only to come back and find Louise watching a sex tape that Ash and I made about three years ago. Don’t ask. Watching the connection, the bond, the love that Ash and I had really, well, broke me for good. And when Louise started bitching me out, calling both Ash and I disgusting queers, I broke up with her and packed all my stuff. She’ll probably say that she ‘kicked my faggot ass out’ or something like that, but it’s not true.

Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t do all this because of Ash. I’m not that pathetic. He’s just the icing on top of a cake of crap that’s been building up over the last three months. I can’t believe I broke up with him back at the start of July, and that it’s already the end of September. What I wouldn’t give to turn back time, I tell you. But I can’t turn back time, I’ve realized that now. I can’t change what happened between me and Ash, and there’s really nothing left for me to do now. I have no job, 2 friends and no life. Nothing in my world can compare to Ash, and I know that now.

And Geoff, just in case you think there any chance of me living, I also overdosed on cocaine before I cut. I found some of Louise’s stash hidden in my socks – she probably used them as a hiding place and forgot – and used the whole lot. I don’t want to live any more, and I’m sorry. Sorry for how bad this is going to be for you to find. Sorry for how much of a shitty friend I’ve been lately. And sorry for leaving you to be the one to tell everyone. Goodbye, Geoff.

Your friend,
Nathaniel Ryan Stone.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, I think this should be the end. I'm only joking. Well, I tried to end it there, I really did. To be honest I think everyone's getting fed up with me making Nate and Ash's lives hell! But, I just couldn't leave them like this, so I'm carrying on the story for another 10 chapters. Hopefully you'll like what I have in store for them.

Comments?
xo