Status: New...tell me if I should continue this. :]

But I Never Promised You

Homecoming

I looked up at Jack and tried to smile, tears still falling down my face.

“I interrupted something, didn’t I?”

I nodded. “Oh, well. Come give me a hug, Jack.”

Jack walked over and gave me a hug before looking at Alex. “You ready man?”

Before Alex answered Jack, he looked over at me. “Are you staying here?”

I wasn’t sure of what to tell him. I didn’t want to stay here, but I knew it would be better for me. “I don’t know. I want to go home, but it would be better if I stayed here.”

“Please, come home with us,” Jack begged, giving me a pout.

I thought for a little while, finally making up my mind. “Go get me a wheelchair. I don’t think they’ll let me walk out of here. I’m not even sure I’d be able to walk out of here.”

Jack scurried out of the room, frantically searching to find me a wheelchair.

“Maybe you should go help him find one. He probably won’t think to ask at the desk.”

Alex smiled at me. “Thank you.”

“For what?”

“Coming home.”

I smiled back. “Go help Jack.”

Alex walked out of the room, searching the halls for his best friend.

I sighed.

Why did I feel like falling for Alex wasn’t going to end well? Mika, you can’t think like this. Everything is going to be fine.

Something else was gnawing at my mind.

I pulled out my phone and dialed the number I knew by heart.

“Hello?”

“Do mom and dad know the address to my apartment?”

“They didn’t when I left to come here. Why?”

“I’m just getting a bad feeling all of a sudden. Like they’re going to show up and demand I come back home.”

“Mika, you’re over eighteen. They can’t legally make you do anything.”

“You’re right. What did you say to them before you came out here?”

“I didn’t say anything to them. I just left. I needed my baby sister back.”

“I’m not a baby, Conner. I’m only a year younger than you.”

He chuckled. “Is that all you needed?”

“One more thing. Could you call them and make sure they don’t have plans to find me?”

“Sure.”

“Conner, I’ll prepare you now. I don’t know if you’ve heard, but I broke my hip. You’ll probably have to help me shower.”

“Can’t Alex help you shower? He’s not your big brother. He wants to see you naked.”

“I don’t trust Alex to help me shower. He’d probably try doing something else. You probably wouldn’t have to do much Conner. Just help me in and out.”

“Alright, I’ll do it. You owe me though. Big.”

I laughed. “No, I don’t. Bye Conner.”

I hung up the phone before he could protest.

Alex and Jack still weren’t back. I carefully adjusted myself and tried to peer out into the hallway.

I couldn’t see anything.

Damn.

I was getting tired of waiting. Just as I was getting ready to call them, I saw them enter my room with a wheelchair.

“Sorry it took so long. I had to chase Jack halfway around the hospital.”

“It’s okay. Can one of you help me into the wheelchair?”

Alex walked over and carefully helped me up and over to the wheelchair. I was glad I didn’t have anything with me. I wouldn’t forget to bring something with me that way.

“Okay. Let’s go home.”

Alex started pushing me out of the room, Jack skipping ahead of us.

We got to the end of the hall and stopped at the desk.

The nurse stationed there, looked over. “Can I help you?”

“Do I have to sign out?”

“Your name?”

“Mika Oliver.”

The nurse flipped through a few papers she had laying on the desk.

“No, it looks like you’re good to go. We’ll see you in the morning Miss Oliver.”

“Thank you. See you tomorrow.”

We turned the corner and pushed the button for the elevator. Alex pushed me in and pushed the button for the first floor, waiting for the doors to close.

The ride down the elevator was silent, but when the doors opened we found Jack waiting for us impatiently.

“Jeez, you two are slow.”

I laughed. “Maybe you’re just too fast for us, Barakat.”

“No, you’re just slow.”

Alex pushed me out of the elevator and we watched as Jack started skipping to the front entrance.

“He has so much energy.”

“You should see him on caffeine.”

“I’d rather not.”

“It’s bound to happen sometime. I’m just preparing you.”

“Well, thanks Alex.”

We had reached the entrance and were waiting for Jack to bring the car up. When he stopped the car in front of us, Alex helped me up out of the wheelchair and lifted me into the car. There was room in the back for the wheelchair, so he didn’t have to fold it up. Lucky him.

After he secured the doors, he hopped up front with Jack.

A short ten minute drive later, we were back at the apartment building.

It wasn’t even noon yet, but it felt as if I had been up all day already. I guess that’s what getting hit by a car does to you.

I hope that idiot goes to jail. He doesn’t deserve his license.

Our building didn’t have an elevator, so Alex carried me up the steps and Jack brought the wheelchair up.

Alex had been in such a hurry to get out of the apartment this morning that he hadn’t locked the door. It was actually easier this way.

I looked between Jack and Alex when I had been wheeled into my apartment. “Will one of you go get my brother?”

Jack was the closest to the door, so he volunteered to walk across the hall.

A minute later, Jack was back, followed by Conner, Zack, and Rian.

“Hey guys.”

“Mika, we heard what happened. How are you feeling?”

“I’m alright. My hip’s pretty sore, but other than that I feel pretty good.”

Zack was always so polite.

“Due to my minor setbacks, I think I’m going to have a day in today. You are welcome to join me if you wish.”

“Of course. Did you want us to go pick up some movies and takeout?” Rian asked.

My stomach growled. I hadn’t eaten yet.

“That sounds great, actually. Whatever you’re in the mood for is fine with me.”

“Okay.”

Zack and Rian left to go pick up the food and entertainment.

Alex helped move me to the recliner then went to sit on the couch next to where Jack and Conner had plopped themselves down.

I sighed. “And now we wait.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment please.

So, today had been an excellent day. I actually didn't mind going to work. My boss is getting fired on Monday and her sister got fired today. [They don't do their job. They pretty much walk around looking busy all day.] Other than that, there hasn't been much excitement.

On the negative side, I have somehow lost the gems of my lip rings between starting work and now. My piercer is going to love me....not.