Status: New...tell me if I should continue this. :]

But I Never Promised You

Surprises

It’s been three weeks since I had my stitches taken out. I’m finally able to start walking by myself again. As much as I hate to admit it, physical therapy has helped a lot. Alex was a big help, too.

My parents didn’t come out to see me the entire time I was in the wheelchair. I was surprised they didn’t come out when they got the bill, but I was very thankful they didn’t. I did; however, receive a phone call from my mother to find out what she was receiving a bill for. I think she was more worried about forking out the money than my wellbeing. She’s a great mother, isn’t she?

Conner was able to find a job. Unfortunately, it wasn’t within a week and the two bedroom apartment had already been rented by the time he found out. He decided to rent the one bedroom on the third floor. He said the privacy for the both of us would be a good thing.

Alex had something special planned for tonight. I was sitting in the apartment waiting for him to get back. I wasn’t very good with surprises; I was starting to get impatient.

I was just getting my phone out to call him when he came in the door.

“I’m back. Are you ready for your surprise?”

I looked up at him and smiled. “I’ve been ready, Alex,” I looked at the clock on my phone, “for about forty-five minutes now.”

“Don’t get angry with me. It took a lot of persuading to even be able to do this.”

I walked over to him and kissed his cheek. “I’m not angry, just impatient. Let’s go.”

Alex and I walked hand-in-hand down to the parking garage. After settling me in the passenger seat, Alex got in on the driver’s side.

We drove for about fifteen minutes before we pulled into a parking space on the side of the road. I still had no idea what we were doing. The parking space we occupied was directly in front of a restaurant, a very fancy looking restaurant.

“Alex, you didn’t have to bring me here. It looks expensive.”

“I know, but I wanted to. Consider it a celebration of being able to walk again.”

I watched him for a while as he said this. “I don’t believe you. You have something else in mind.”

“Maybe I do, maybe I don’t. You won’t know until we go inside.”

I shook my head and walked through the door he was now holding open for me.

“Reservation under Gaskarth for two,” Alex said to the hostess.

She looked down her list and upon finding his name, said, “Right this way.”

She led us to a table near the back of the restaurant. “Your server will be right with you.”

I opened my menu. I glanced through some of the headlines: appetizers, salads, sandwiches, soups, steaks, seafood, and beverages. I wasn’t all that hungry, but just looking at the prices made me even less hungry.

“Alex, you can’t bring me here. I can’t let you pay for this.”

“I can and I will. No more arguing about it. Just find something you want to eat. Don’t look at the price.”

“But…”

“No buts, Mika.”

“Alex, I could pay a months rent for the cost of some of these things.”

“This is the best restaurant in town. Please Mika, let me do this just once. You’re always doing things for me; let me buy you a nice dinner.”

I sighed. “Fine.”

“Thank you.”

I started looking through the menu again. I didn’t notice that they had pastas, but I was thinking chicken alfredo was sounding good when I saw it listed.

While we waited for our server to come take our order, Alex had a hard time sitting still.

“What’s wrong, Alex? You keep fidgeting.”

“There’s something I have to tell you, but I want to wait until after you eat.”

“Why can’t you just tell me now?”

“Because…” he paused, “you’ll get upset and leave.”

I took a deep breath in. “Are you cheating on me?”

He looked appalled. “No, I would never do that to you, Mika.”

“Then, what is it?”

“The label called. Tomorrow morning, we leave on a plane for Japan. We’re headlining a world tour.”

“Oh. That’s great though. How long will you be gone?” I could feel myself start to tear up. I didn’t want to cry. Not here. Not in front of him.

“Eight months.”

I looked down at the table.

Eight months.

How will I be able to go eight months without him?

“I want you to come with me.”

I wasn’t expecting him to say anything just yet, so I looked up at him just as the first tear fell from my eye.

“Alex, I can’t. I still have physical therapy and I can’t afford to be gone for eight months. I have to get a job soon to be able to still have my apartment.”

“Let me worry about paying for it. We make a lot of money for the label. I’m sure if I sweet talk them, they would pay for you to come with us.”

“I would still be homeless when the tour was over, Alex. I can’t have you supporting me in everything.”

“I want to, Mika. Can’t you see that? I would do anything for you.”

Just then, our server came over to us. “Are you ready to order?”

Alex looked at me. “Tell her what you want, Mika.”

“She can’t give me what I want, Alex. I’m not hungry anymore.”

“Mika, you have to eat something. Please?”

“You leave tomorrow for eight months. How do you expect me to be hungry?”

“Mika,” he paused, “what were you going to get before I told you?”

“Chicken alfredo.”

Alex turned to our server, who was standing there awkwardly listening to us. “She’ll have that and I’ll have the lemon pepper chicken.”

“Can I get either of you something to drink?”

I glanced back at the menu, forgetting what they had for beverages.

Of course, everything was fancy. No soda for Mika.

“I’ll have a glass of this,” I said pointing at the menu. “I can’t pronounce it.”

She smiled at me. “Don’t worry; you’re not the only one who can’t pronounce it.”

I looked back down at the table as she turned to Alex. “And for you, sir?”

“I’ll have what she’s having. Wait, what is she having?”

She pointed it out on the menu in front of Alex. “This right here.”

“That sounds good. I’ll have that, too.”

She walked away from our table and into the kitchen.

“How long have you known?”

“The label called yesterday.”

“So, basically, this dinner is your way of saying goodbye.”

“Mika, the dinner has nothing to do with me leaving tomorrow. I would have brought you here even if I wasn’t leaving on tour.”

“Alex, these things are planned out months in advance. How did you not find out until yesterday?”

“Another band was supposed to headline it. Their drummer went to jail last week for hitting a pedestrian.”

I pointed at myself. “For hitting me?”

Alex nodded.

“The label definitely wouldn’t pay for me to go on tour with you now.”

“Are you kidding? The label threatened to drop the band if they didn’t find a new drummer. They have to now, but none of the people they’ve auditioned have been right for them, so they had to cancel the tour. They can’t really play without a drummer.”

Our server came back with our unpronounceable wine.

“Thank you.”

We sat at the table not saying anything, just thinking.

When our food arrived, we still hadn’t talked.

I picked at my food until Alex cleared his throat.

“Mika, please eat something.”

I took a bite, just to show him that I could eat.

A short while later, the bill came and Alex paid before walking back out to the car.
♠ ♠ ♠
I was planning on having this chapter be longer, but we're under a tornado warning and I wanted to update before I left for work. If anything happens it might be a while before I can update again.

Anyway, comment please :]