Sequel: Endlessly

The Square Root

Subtly Changing Me

The week went by so quickly and the next thing I knew, it was already Friday’s lunch. I haven’t talked to Ryan much, except for in class when we complain to each other and for our constant arguing about what’s right and wrong. And of course, despite our newfound semi-friendship, we still hated each other nonetheless.

He did though, send me texts to say goodnight and goodmorning.

Trisha and Ryan had been doing better. They’ve been hanging out a lot lately and Alexa learned to leave them alone. Drina wasn't in school today, meaning Mike was alone and he was squirming uneasily in his seat – assuming because John sat with us again today.

“What’s up?” I asked him. He just glared at Alexa and John. I doubt he was glaring at Alexa, so I figured he was glaring at John. “You don’t like him?” I whispered.

“As if anybody does,” he scoffed.

I raised an eyebrow. “Why not? Isn't he like from Dolciani’s clique?” I asked him

“Yeah, but he’s fake. And he talks smack about everyone. He just starts to give people the dirtiest looks,” he said. I laughed. “He’s probably gay”, he whispered

I chuckled. I can agree with that. “I can cover for you. Go run off, your squirming makes me uneasy,” I laughed.

“Thanks, I’ll see you later. I’m gonna go check on Drina,” he said.

Aww. How sweet.

“Alright, I’ll visit her later too,” I told him. He nodded, and ran off.

“Where’s he going?” Alexa asked.

I shrugged. “Grabbing something I guess,” I told her and ate my yogurt.

Yes, yogurt for lunch. Shut up.

They were deep in conversation, and I was in an awkward position since Trisha – I was guessing was with Ryan. They’ve been eating off campus for the past few days already. I felt a tap on my shoulder and I turned around. “Come on,” Stephanie whispered.

“Guys. I’m gonna go,” I said to the couple that was obviously not listening, then threw away my food, walking with Stephanie outside. “Thanks,” I mumbled. “That was so awkward,” I frowned.

“I can tell,” she chuckled.

We just hung out and talked for the rest of lunch. My wandering eyes landed on the other table several feet away from us where the football guys and cheerleaders were, along with some of the wealthy students. “Hey, I was wondering,” I started. She just looked at me. “Why don’t you hang out with them?” I asked, motioning towards the table.

She scoffed. “I don’t wanna be considered a slut,” she frowned. “My brother has his reputation to put up, and I have mine.”

“What do you mean?” I asked. She pointed over to the table again.

“Look,” she said, and I did. I saw girls in cheerleading outfits walking towards the table, and sat on the guys’ laps and some started making out. “That’s the kind of reputation my brother puts up,” she pointed out.

Oh yeah, I forgot.

“I think he’s changing. With getting Trisha back and all,” I told her.

She gave out a dry laugh. “We all want what we can't get, so my brother goes after Trisha. He doesn’t really have feelings for her anymore, he just hasn’t gotten proper closure,” she told me.

“How would you know that?”

“It’s a twin thing,” she explained. I nodded. “I don’t think it’s her at all,” she told me seriously.

“Who else could have the power to change your brother? He’s pretty damn stubborn,” I laughed. She looked at me, and laughed. Loudly, if I may add. I was about to ask what she was laughing about, but the bell rang.

“I’ll see you later. Let’s hang tonight, yes?” she asked me, getting up.

“Okay, meet you at my house after your last class then,” I smiled and waved goodbye.

“Hey you,” Ryan said giving me a hug when he walked in the theater.

“Hey,” I smiled at him.

“How was lunch?”

“Peachy,” I grimaced.

“Something wrong?”

“No. Just lots of things going on,” I explained. He nodded and turned his attention to the teacher speaking up front.

After class, we bid each other goodbyes and went our separate ways. He said that he was gonna go hang out with Trisha. I’m glad they’re getting along great. I decided to go use this time to visit Drina. I dialed Mike’s number, which Alexa conveniently gave me and he answered on the 3rd ring. I asked for Drina’s address and I drove off to her house. It wasn't as luxurious as the Dolciani’s. It was just a normal 2 bedroom, one bath house.

It turned out she had the flu and Mike was worried sick about her. I decided to go pick up some food for both of them, since Mike refused to leave Drina’s side. I came back and Drina was already asleep.

“Wow, you guys really are best friends,” I mumbled.

“We’ve been best friends since we were 3,” he chuckled.

“Do you have feelings for her?” I asked out of nowhere.

“After being friends with somebody for so long, it’s hard to avoid,” he lightly smiled. “But, it’s too dangerous for us to go into a relationship. It’s not worth the risk,” he sighed.

“The strength of your friendship would overcome it even if it doesn’t work out Mike,” I told him, patting his back. He just sighed. “Well, food’s on the table,” I said pointing towards Drina’s desk. “I’m gonna go meet up with Stephanie,” I smiled and left them.

“Hazelyn, I think you’ve got another couple to set up in your hands,” I said to myself and drove home.

----


Stephanie and I ended up having a girl night. We watched chick flicks and ate popcorn and sweets while crying to movies. She had to go home at midnight since her mom insisted that they sleep at the mansion and she explained that her mother would’ve been pissed if she was called down to breakfast the next morning and she wouldn’t be in her bed.

Saturday morning, I got a text from Ryan saying Good Morning. I replied with one back to him. It was followed by a call form Alexa inviting me to hang out with her and John. It was a weird invitation, but I took it anyways since I had absolutely nothing to do until this afternoon and I didn’t wanna be rude.

“We’ll pick you up in an hour,” she said. So, I got ready - taking a shower, then changing into my usual sweats and a random top. True to word, they were there in an hour. Alexa and I had to argue about me changing into jeans, and after awhile – just so we could leave - I did.

We got to the theaters and decided to watch Letters to Juliet. John was squealing about it, and squeezing Alexa’s hand to death. Isn't that supposed to be the other way around? I just sat there, in a very, very awkward position, so I decided to go to the bathroom.

“Hazelyn?” I heard from behind me. I was washing my face, since I was still half asleep.

“Oh, hey Trish. What’s up?”

“Nothing, just with Jay,” she grinned.

“You guys seem to me doing well,” I chuckled.

“Oh.. yeah.. I still can't thank you enough,” she giggled. “But I'm gonna go now, Jr’s probably waiting,” she smiled. “Ill see you at school,” she smiled and left.

I decided to just go hang out at Starbucks while waiting for John and Alexa. There was a drink put on my table. I looked up, and saw Ryan’s familiar face. “You always seem to be alone when I see you,” he chuckled. “Soy Green Tea Frappe, 2 extra scoops matcha, now whip,” he said unwrapping a straw and putting it in the drink. I stared at it. “I didn’t put any drugs in it, if that’s what you’re thinking,” he laughed and sat down in front of me. “Nor, am I stalking you,” he added.

“That was exactly how I like it,” I said softly. He just shrugged at me and I snapped out of my trance. “Where’s Trisha?” I asked him, and took a sip. “Thanks, by the way,”

“You’re welcome, and she’s making a call,” he told me.

I nodded. “Cool, so what made you get a Green Tea Frappe?” I asked him

“I don’t know, I just felt like a change today. And you were right, it’s pretty good,” he grinned.

“You weirdo,” I laughed. He looked outside and Trisha was coming towards the doors.

“Well, I gotta go,” he said standing up.

“Okay, stay safe. And here’s your drink,” I said sliding it to him.

“It has your germs on it,” he joked. “Nah, it’s yours. Pay me back by buying me lunch tomorrow,” he grinned and walked out.

“Boyfriend?” a girl in a Starbucks apron, that was cleaning said from behind me. She was a very pretty girl. She looked like she could be a model. She stood at probably 5’9. Her hair was on a darker shade of blonde and it was wrapped in a bun, and some loose strands framing her face. She was beautiful. And I’m saying that in the most straight way as I could.

I chuckled. “No, just friends,” I told her.

“Ohhh..?” she laughed and sat in front of me.

“Huh?” I was confused.

“Jr’s my cousin,” she told me. I made an ‘O’ shape with my mouth. “We own this branch and he’s kind of a regular,” she explained. “He usually gets the White Chocolate Mocha Frappe, and I asked him what’s with the sudden change, and he just said that it was a special someone’s favorite,” she laughed.

“Ohhh…,” I nodded thoughtfully, even though I didn’t understand what she was trying to say.

“So, what’re you doing here alone? I'm sure a pretty girl like you would be on a date right about now,” she said. “No homo,” she added.

I laughed. “I was with some friends and they decided to bring me along with them, and I felt awkward being a third wheel, so I left,” I told her.

“That’s a bummer,” she frowned. “Well, I gotta get back to work. Nobody covered for me today,” she said. “I hope to see you around soon, keep changing my little cousin,” she smiled and walked back to the counter before I could tell her it was Trish that was changing him.

A few more minutes later, and I got a call from a freaking out Alexa, thinking that I was kidnapped. She just realized I was gone, just now? I’ve been gone for more than half an hour. “Relax, will you? I’m at Starbucks,” I told her. Not more than 5 minutes later, she showed up at the door.

“If you leave, you should tell us. I look next to me, and you’re gone!” she scolded.

“Geez, I did say I was going somewhere, and you just nodded,” I argued with her. She sighed. “Can you take me home? I need to take care of some stuff,” I told her. We got into John’s old beaten up truck, and drove home. I quickly got out muttering a ‘thanks’ then going back inside to change into something more comfortable. No more than another 10 minutes, the doorbell rang. I excitedly ran down the stairs and opened the door.

“Delivery for Hazelyn DeLuca?” the delivery man said.

“That’s me,” I said, and signed some papers. “Can you put all those upstairs? Second door to the right please,” I told them and opened the door widely. The massive packages were carried up the stairs, and I started thinking on how I’m going to be arranging it all. About half an hour later, they had everything unpacked and set up. ”Thanks,” I said and gave them all a hundred dollar tip and walked upstairs, ready to redecorate the room.

I was in the middle of arranging everything when the doorbell rang again. I jogged down the stairs and opened the door. “You should give me a spare key,” Ryan said walking in without a hi or hello, carrying two bags from Olive Garden.

“What are you? My boyfriend?” I scoffed, closing the door.

“No, your bestfriend. Meaning I really should get one knowing I’ll be here often,” he grinned.

“Whoa. Back up there Dolciani. Who said you were my bestfriend?” I asked with a raised eyebrow.

“I did,” he shrugged. “Why are you sweaty?” he asked.

“Working on something,” I told him.

“Well, eat first. Have you had lunch?” I thought about it, and I guess I lost track of time. “It’s 4pm Hazelyn. Here, I got you Bruschetta, Breadsticks, Chicken Alfredo and vegetarian pizza,” he said as he took them out one by one. “You really shouldn’t be skipping meals,” he mumbled

“Are you gonna be bringing me meals for the rest of my life?” I joked.

“If I have to,” he shrugged.

“I guess you’re gonna be needing your own key,” I mumbled. He beamed at me. “Just because I’m too lazy to get the door,” I told him, and was about to exit the kitchen to finish what I was doing.

“Uh-uh. You’re eating babe,” he said before I even made it halfway to the doorway. I rolled my eyes and sat down on one of the bar stools on the counter. He then put a plate in front of me and put everything else beside me. “Eat,” he ordered, standing on the other side of the counter, staring at me.

“Not while you’re staring,” I glared. He rolled his eyes and sat next to me and grabbed a breadstick. “Better,” I smiled and grabbed one for myself. “So, what’re you doing here?” I asked him. He just shrugged.

“Trisha had to go home,” he said.

“Oh, so I’m just an option now? Okay, I see how it is,” I joked.

“Haze, you’re not just an option,” he said seriously.

“Relax I was kidding,” I told him and started eating. We just talked about random stuff and how school was going. He told me that he and Trisha are doing better and everything’s going smoothly. I finished up and put the stuff in the sink and Ryan cleaned up.

“What do you wanna do now?” he asked me.

“I have stuff to finish,” I told him.

“Need help?” he asked.

I contemplated. “No, it’s okay,” I said and ran up the stairs to the room. I thought he had left, but several minutes later, the door opened giving me a mini heart attack.

“Damn babe. What were you doing while I was gone?” he chuckled.

“You really should stop calling me that,” I said to him.

“Are you opening up a club?” he joked, walking in and looking around and completely ignoring what I just said. I chuckled and looked around, admiring my work.

On the left side of the door was a mini bar. There’s a dual zone refrigerator at the back, the left side for regular drinks and the right side - a wine cooler which had a blender perched on top of it just in case. Then a slightly U shaped counter top, also in the same Black Oak finish where I will be storing the different types of glasses. There were 2 stools that were in front of it, and two circular glass tables with 2 stools each a few feet away. Just like a mini bar/club.

The left corner of it had a black leather L shaped couch with a glass coffee table in the middle and the right corner of it had a set of drums with a keyboard, and a couple guitars. An electric and acoustic, along with an amplifier. The middle of the very back of the room had a black DJ table, which had the wires connecting the surrounding speakers to it. It might be a three bedroom house, but they have humungous bedrooms.

“How does it look?” I asked, wiping the sweat off my forehead.

“You did this all by yourself?” he asked.

“Mostly,” I shrugged. “So…?”

“Damn,” he said. “Is it done?”

“Not yet. I still have to do the wirings then put in the drinks and all the glasses at the mini bar,” I said.

“I’ll do it,” he said. “Where are the stuff?” he asked. I pointed at the box on top of the counter. He went towards it and started taking the stuff out. We finished the whole thing after half an hour or so. “Damn,” he said when we finished. “This place is epic,” he chuckled. I smiled at my accomplishment. “We should invite people over,” he suggested.

“Uhh. No,” I frowned and walked to my room. He followed after me without knocking. “You should knock, I might be changing and you’d be walking in,” I pointed out.

“You should lock the door because I wouldn’t mind seeing you change,” he winked at me. I rolled my eyes and walked into the bathroom and into the shower to wash off the sweat. I went into my closet and picked out something to wear. Okay, maybe this place was a FOUR bedroom house, but one was used as a closet. The closet was probably as huge as my room and my brothers loved clothes, so I guess this is why they bought me a whole bunch of new ones to stuff in here. I finished my hair and walked outside and saw Ryan on my laptop, sitting up against the back board of my bed.

“Did you just go in there without a change of clothes and come out fully dressed?” he asked me curiously.

“I grabbed clothes,” I shrugged, sitting down on the bed. “So, you’re snooping?” I asked him looking at what he’s doing. He turned it away from me and shook his head with a laugh. I rolled my eyes at him, and turned on the TV.

“Oh…,” he said and closed the laptop. “Let’s go have dinner,” he said and stood up.

“We just ate,” I frowned.

“Then let’s go walk around,” he said pulling me out the door and grabbing my keys from the table beside the door and opening the garage. I quickly stopped it.

“Let’s take your car,” I suggested.

“But I wanted to try driving your car,” he pouted.

“Uhm.. Next time,” I told him and pulled him towards his car.

“No. Now,” he said and opened the garage again before I could stop him. I closed my eyes and bit my lip. Damn it. I slowly opened my eyes and realized only my car was there. Where the fuck is my Maserati? I quickly took out my phone and called my brother. “I’ll be back,” I said to Ryan and ran back in the house. My brother answered on the 2nd ring.

“Maserati’s with me,” he said.

“Oh okay. That’s it, thanks,” I said and let out a sigh of relief. I walked back outside, locking the door and got in the car.

“Where’d you get the engine? Seems new,” Ryan pointed out.

“My brother did it for me,” I told him.

“I’ve never met your brother,” he told me. I'm sure you have.

“He’s a few years older than me,” I said. Half true. I’m talking about Nate.

“What about your other brother?” Damn it.

“He’s a year older than me,” I honestly said. I looked around and realized we were on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills. “What are we doing here?” I wondered.

“Walking around,” he said as he parked in front of Chanel and got out of the car.

“My car is such in shame,” I frowned when I got out and joined him.

“Why would you say that?” he asked.

“It’s parked between a Maserati and a Lamborghini.” Ryan busted out laughing. “Shut up, I feel sorry for my baby, okay?” I said crossing my arms.

“We should’ve taken your brother’s Ferrari then, huh?” he chuckled, and pulled me into Chanel. He started looking around and I just sat there leaning against the counter, tapping my fingers on the glass.

“Ma’am, if you do not plan on buying anything, then I suggest you leave. The other customers are getting scared,” a woman said to me, trying to cover her annoyance. I was just in sweats and a sweatshirt, and she thinks I can't buy anything? I looked down and saw a pair of retro aviator sunglasses.

“Can I see those?” I asked her. She looked at me hesitantly then took them out. She put a mirror in front of me and I tried it on.

“See anything you like?” Ryan asked from behind me and I turned around. “Those are nice, I like it” he said. “We’ll get them,” he said to the girl and her face was priceless. She looked so stunned.

“No, Ry. It’s okay, I got it,” I told him.

He just scoffed. “No. I got it, no worries,” he said and walked over to the cashier despite my protests. Oh how stubborn you are, Dolciani. He ended up buying something for his sister, and also buying the sunglasses.

We continued walking around until we were in front of Tiffany & Co, which I remembered something. “Hey, I noticed you gave Trisha a different necklace,” I told him

He looked uneasy. “Yeah, uhm. I changed my mind,” he said rubbing the back of his neck, avoiding eye contact. He then opened the door, and the employees greeted us. I’m glad they have better customer service.

“Good evening. Is there anything I can help you with?” A woman - maybe around her mid thirties - asked.

“Not at the moment. Thank you,” Ryan said and we started looking around. I saw the necklace that Ryan made me try on the other day and the price was sticking out. I decided to be a snoop and looked at it. My eyes widened. Holy fuck. It was a solid 50 grand.

He then called me over to where he was standing and pointed at a charm bracelet. “Isn't that nice?” he asked. “Excuse me, can we take a look at this?” Ryan asked the lady. She happily complied and took it out. Ryan took it from her and grabbed my wrist, clasping the bracelet around it and inspected it. I looked at it closely and saw that it had ‘Rodeo Drive’ as a charm on it. “Do you like it?” he asked me.

“It’s pretty,” I told him, not giving him a direct answer.

“We’ll take it,” he said to the lady. “And shut up Hazelyn,” he said before I could protest. I tried to take it off but he just glared. “Don’t even,” he warned. I sighed and stood there while he paid for it even before I could take my wallet out of my pocket. We walked back outside, deciding to walk back to the car and have dinner. I just ignored him. The bracelet was pretty, but I really didn’t want him buying me stuff. “Are you mad?” he asked me. I ignored him, crossing my arms and looked straight ahead. “Don’t be mad,” he frowned.

“Let me pay you back,” I told him.

“No,” he said sternly.

“I feel really bad. You should give this to Trisha, not me,” I argued.

“Can I not give my bestfriend gifts?” he asked, putting an arm around me.

“What would she think if you buy me something that’s more than 600 dollars?”

“We’re just bestfriends. She’ll understand,” he told me.

I sighed “You’re never letting me pay you back, are you?” I asked him.

“Nope,” he said and walked to the other side of the car.

“Damn it,” I muttered before getting in.

We ended up driving over to their house - aka the house that’s right next to my parent’s. We walked towards the front door and he rang the doorbell.

“Sup bro? Hey Hazelyn,” Jason greeted.

“Hi Jase,” I smiled and followed Ryan inside. “How’ve you been?” I asked.

“Oh nothing interesting. Just school and practice. How about you? How’re you and my brother?” he joked.

“Shut up Jason!” Ryan called out from somewhere in the house.

“Oh, just peachy. I'm about to go sneak in a thousand dollars in his wallet,” I mumbled my last sentence.

Jason just laughed leading me to the living room. “Why’s that?” he asked

“Freaking took me shopping and decided to pay for everything,” I mumbled. His eyes almost bugged out of their sockets. “Why do you look like your eyes are about to pop out any minute?” I asked him.

“My brother paid? He’s the cheapo out of all of us,” he scoffed.

“He bought this 50 grand necklace from Tiffany’s for Trisha,” I told him.

“No way?” his eyes widened.

“Yes way,” I told him. “But he gave her a different one.”

“What are you doing here, Hazelyn?” I heard Tristan from behind me.

“What are you doing here bro?” I chuckled.

“I'm hanging out with my friend,” he said sitting next to me. I leaned back on the arm of the chair and put my feet up on his lap. “And being used as a footrest,” he grumbled, pushing my feet off.

“Tristan Macintosh,” Ryan said walking into the room. I quickly straightened up and sat the normal way. “How’ve you been man?” he asked, giving him a man hug.

“Good Jr. What about you?” Tristan asked Ryan who sat between Tristan and me.

Stupid. You’re sitting between my older brother, and me idiot.

Tristan just gave an amused smile.

“Very well actually,” Ryan said. “So, let’s have dinner?” he offered. We all nodded and followed him to the deck outside, where the food was. Stephanie followed in after us and squealed when she saw me.

“HAZELYN!” she squealed and gave me a hug. “You decided to visit,” she smiled at me then scanned the table, and her eyes landed on Tristan. “Oh hey Tristan,” she smiled.

OH MY FUCK. IS MY BROTHER BLUSHING?

Dinner went smoothly, and we hung out at the Dolciani’s. I ended up sleeping on the floor laying on Ryan’s lap, while he was seated up against the couch and Stephanie was on my stomach. I felt being picked up off the floor and being carried, then set down on a bed. I shifted to get more comfortable, and fell into deep sleep.

http://www.bornrich.org/gallery/dress-closet-4_48/
♠ ♠ ♠
Closet

Comments would be awesome! :) Thanks to those who commented on the last chapter :)