‹ Prequel: Obsticles
Sequel: Settled

Adjustments

The Toast

Greg walked into the lab, Emily was by herself in the DNA lab working on a Day Shift case as he stopped at stared at her.

Emily looked up from the microscope and smiled “What’s up?” she asked.

“I’m about to lose my mind…and I thought I would just come by and say…hi…” he smiled, looking around the lab.

Emily smiled “So, what has Grissom got you guys doing?” she asked.

Greg shrugged his shoulders “Listing everything we lost…I can’t believe you had to come in on your day off!” he said, scuffing a little.

Emily sighed “Well, think of it this way, every time you screw up, Grissom screws with you…but when Grissom screws up, I pay for it…” she said.

“Wow, Ecklie is such a dick!” Greg said.

Emily let out a small laugh before going back to working on the evidence, Greg watched her work for a moment before leaning into the counter she was working at.

“You know, I’ve been thinking…maybe we should get our own place.” Greg insisted.

Emily looked up from her work “Are we gonna talk about this right now?” she asked.

Greg shook his head “Not if you don’t want to…but I’d rather talk about it than list everything I lost at an important murder scene.” He said.

Emily nodded “Gottcha…but, where would we move? I mean, I like the apartment, it works…”

“No.” Greg said.

Emily looked up at Greg surprised “What do you mean ‘no’…?” she asked.

“Well, at some point there won’t be just two of us…” Greg said, implying their future.

Emily glared at Greg “Do you have a bun in the oven, Greg? Cause I don’t… and nor will I ever!” she said, looking down the microscope.

Greg scuffed “Emily, don’t talk like that! We’ve been through this…” he said.

“I know, Greg…it’s just, one in a million is a BIG chance…like, very big. And even if we coordinated our sex life we’d still have a small chance of me procreating…” Emily said, looking up from the scope.

Greg sighed “Just…think about it…” he said, before walking out of the lab.

Emily watched Greg leave the lab, she took in a deep breathe as she took a DNA sample and put it through a computer system, just as Ecklie walked in.

“…so, is that One in a Million chance a genetic thing, or did Aaron Johnson cause that?” Ecklie asked.

Emily looked at Ecklie surprised “Did you hear that whole conversation?” she asked.

Ecklie nodded “Yeah, and I don’t punish Grissom through you…despite what you might want to believe!” he said.

“Yes, sir…” Emily said, pulling out the results coming out of the printer “Here are those results…” she said, turning away from Ecklie.

________________________________________________________________________

Everyone sat around the Wedding DVD, including Emily as they watched Diane Chase’s toast.

As they watched the speech, Sara and Emily turned into gossipy teenagers as they giggled and gaped with their mouths open as the speech went on.

“Justifiable Homicide?” Catherine asked.

Sara just tried to keep it together as turned to Emily who crossed her arms and shook her head.

“Yeah, my wedding’s got nothing on this!” Emily said as the speech ended.

Catherine smiled “Your wedding was beautiful, Emily…” she said, taking the DVD back to the menu page.

________________________________________________________________________

Henry, Nick, Sara, and Emily were in the Toxicology lab, discussing Mr. Chase’s BAC, and figuring out that he was so intoxicated he couldn’t have killed his ex-wife.

“Speaking of downers, Ms. Chase liked her diazepam. Blood levels were somewhere between therapeutic and toxic…” Henry said, then discussing the victim’s tox screening.

Nick shook his head “That…weird, Brass said Mr. Chase told him that Diane was very anti-psychopharmaceuticals.” He said.

Henry sighed “As a toxicology tech, I'd say often those who adamantly oppose the d-train are its most frequent passengers. But, since she is deceased, I was able to get her medical records. No diazepam scrip.” He said.

“So she got high on somebody else’s pills?” Emily asked.

Nick nodded “That explains Mindy's account of her behavior. And the toast.” He said.

Sara shook her head “Still doesn’t explain how she was conked off, tied to a bumper!” she argued.

“True.” Emily muttered.

Greg walked in, smiling brightly as he looked at the four people in the Toxicology Lab “I think I know what happened…”

As Greg told his story, Sara and Emily rolled their eyes as he began once again, a stupid young man, with his detective noir film narration.

Emily shake her head “I give up…” she said, walking out of the lab.

Nick and Sara watched her leave, before turning back to Greg “…you are just pressing every one of her buttons today, aren’t you?” Nick asked.

Greg shrugged his shoulders “What can I say? My pleasure is her pain…” he said.

“But anyway…” Greg said, continuing on with his story “But, what if, high as a kite on a slipped mickey, she slips-- and BAM! - Straight to the back of the skull. The arrow
was four-sided. It would leave a diamond-shaped wound.” He said, finishing his story.

After the three of them examined the pictures, Nick nodded “Narrows the field of
suspects down to someone who had access to that suite.” He said.

Sara nodded in agreement as she took another look at the pictures, Nick looked up at Greg “And where is the statue?” he asked.

“In your car!” Greg said, smiling sarcastically as he glared at Nick.

Nick sighed “Ah!” he said.

________________________________________________________________________

Catherine and Emily laughed as Nick saw his car being driven into the garage, Brass patted Nick’s shoulder.

“Hey, look, they fixed it!” Emily said, laughing some more.

Nick shook his head, groaning as he tried to deny what he was looking at “Oh, oh no. That’s not funny!” he said.

Catherine smiled, crossing her arms “Oh, it’s a little funny!” she admitted.

Emily shook her head “No, it’s fucking hilarious!” she said, not caring about her language, as Brass got another laugh out of him.