Keep the Faith

...If You're Perfect

What did you expect?

You kept pushing, you kept bending. He was going to break eventually. A person can snap under so much pressure. A person. Not a superhero. Not the god he was made out to be. Just a regular guy who had the right things to say.

Sometimes it’s never quite enough
If you’re flawless then you’ll win my love.
Don’t forget to win first place,
Don’t forget to keep that smile on your face.


Why did you crave for his perfection? He was allowed to have flaws. Everyone does. He told you, a long time ago, that the five of them were just as messed up as you. So why, why did you try to make him perfect? Why did you force that mask on him? He smiled that fake smile you plastered on his face, pretending all was well.

Be a good boy, try a little harder.
You’ve got to measure up, make me prouder.
How long, before you screw it up?
How many times do I have to tell you,
To hurry up?
With everything I do for you
The least you can do is keep quiet.


How long did you think it would last? There were only so many rumors he could ignore. Only so many lies he could handle. Only so many names he could be called.
“Fake.”
“Liar.”
“Failure.”
“Drunk.”


He would never understand why you turned on him this way. Never understand why you turned on the band. Never understand why you turned on each other. He was forced to watch his army, his kingdom crumble in front of him.
I think that’s what hurt him the most.

Be a good boy
You gotta try a little harder
That simply wasn’t good enough
To make us proud
I’ll live through you; I’ll make you what I never was
If you’re the best then maybe so am I,
Compared to him,
Compared to her.
I’m doing this for your own damn good
You’ll make up for what I blew
What’s the problem?
Why are you cryin’?


You pushed some more, you all saw he was hurting, you all knew he couldn't deal with much more but still you pushed him and you pushed your luck. What was it you really wanted from him? Wasn’t it the fact that he had flaws, the fact that he was imperfect, wasn’t that the reason you felt you could connect to him, identify to what he was saying?

Be a good boy push a little farther now
That wasn’t fast enough
To make us happy
We’ll love you just the way you are
...If you’re perfect.


Now it’s over. Now he’s gone. Broken, like the toys you threw away when you were little. And who is to blame?
The negative press?
The haters?
No. The Fans... Sad really. Tell me, my so-called ‘brothers in arms'; is perfection all it’s cracked up to be? You would know after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lyrics are from
Perfect - Alanis Morrisette