Crying On A Saturday Night

Chapter Three

After that, I stayed up in my room, talking to a couple friends on the internet or just laying around listening to music. Currently, I was on my cell phone with my friend Demetra.

"So, you're still coming over tomorrow after school right?" she asked in mid-conversation.

"Yeah yeah. I'm in desperate need of anything. Whatever you've got. I haven't gotten my hands on anything for almost a week now," I said back quietly in case anyone might have been outside the door.

"Alright. Then just meet me after school on the line," she replied. 'The line' being where school property ended.

"Sure thing Vamp. Well its late, I'm hungry and haven't eaten all day, so I'm gonna go get something to eat. I'll see you tomorrow."

"Bye," she said, and we hung up. I changed into a cami and shorts before going downstairs and finding the kitchen. I sauntered over to the fridge and opened it, looking inside. While scrounging, I heard the clicking of heels come quietly into the room.

"Excuse me, but who are you?" I heard a woman's voice ask. I slowly stood up and closed the fridge door, turning around to see a woman in her late twenties or early thirties standing in the doorway with a young boy on her hip.

"What's it to you?" I asked, an air of distaste in my voice.

She looked at my and then turned her head to the small boy, whose head was rested on her shoulder.

"Why don't you go up to your room Jack..." I heard her whisper, and then she kissed his forehead and set him down, and he slowly walked out of the room.

Then she looked back to me with her hands on her hips, and looked me up and down. The expression on her face suddenly changed as we just stared each other down.

She sighed and shook her head, looking down at the floor. "I can't believe him!" she said quietly to herself. She stalked out of the kitchen and into the living room where Brian was. I walked closer to the door.

"What the hell were you thinking?! Do you expect to be able to pull this kind of shit with me Brian?!" I heard her yell at him.

"What are you talking about?" he asked, sounding completely clueless.

"Don't play dumb with me. I'm stuck at the hospital with a sick little boy, and I come home to this? I told you if this happened, just one time, that I was leaving," she shouted at him.

"Wha-what the hell are you on about?!" Brian asked again.

"I'm talking about that tramp traipsing around this house Brian! That's what I'm talking about!" she shouted louder this time, and I heard her footsteps coming back towards the kitchen. She came in and looked at me, completely fuming.

"Get out of my house," she spat.

I scoffed. "No."

"Yes. I won't stand on the sidelines while you fuck around with my fiancé."

"Whoa whoa whoa..." Brian said, coming into the room. "Is that what you think this is? Michelle... I'm not cheating on you," he said.

"Well then what the hell is this whore doing here?!" Michelle asked him.

"Okay, for one thing, you don't have the right to call me a whore, and two, I fucking live here," I said, crossing my arms over my chest.

"Watch your mouth. And since when?" she asked.

"Since today, and I'll say whatever the fuck I want, thank you very much," I replied.

"Okay... why is she living here?" she asked Brian after.

"Cuz her mom sent her to live here."

"This still doesn't make any sense Brian... What the hell does it all have to do with you? Why is it this particular place that she gets sent to?" she asked.

"It has everything to do with me... I'm her father," he replied quietly, looking down to the floor.

"...You... what?" Michelle asked, completely confused. "How?"

"Back in high school, my girlfriend got pregnant by me, and I left her. And Charlotte was sent here cuz I guess her mom just can't handle her anymore."

Then Michelle turned to me. "So you're not... with him?"

"Um, Ew. No way!... Why, you don't believe us?" I asked.

"Well its kind of hard to fathom," she said, and then sighed. "Well, I'm Michelle, and I'm gonna be your step-mom I suppose," she said, sticking out her hand. I warily shook it.

"I'm Charlotte, and I'm gonna be the resident basket case."

Brian sighed. "Well, now that that's taken care of... Where's my little boy?" he asked with a small smile.

"He's in his room," Michelle replied, before Brian came and kissed her cheek and went upstairs.

"So... how old are you?" she asked me as she sat down at the kitchen table. I'd abandoned the task of finding food, not being hungry anymore. Its not like I wasn't used to not eating for a whole day...

"Sixteen... you?" I asked back.

"Thirty-two."

"So... that little boy, he's yours and Brian's? He's... my brother?" I asked. One of the things I'd always wanted was a younger brother.

"Yeah. His name's Jack. He's only five years old," Michelle replied.

"Oh... he's cute. Well, I'm gonna.. go upstairs..." I said, feeling slightly awkward.

"Yeah... look, I'm sorry I blew up at you like that. I was just confused," she apologized as I stood up.

"Don't sweat it..." I said before leaving the room and going back upstairs.

I laid on my bed, looking up at the ceiling. So, he'd started a new family? He had a fiancée, a son, and great friends. And me. I was the outcast, and I didn't belong there. All I would do was cause trouble, and I knew that. I'd ruin their perfect lives. They'd realize I was nothing more than a mistake...