Not Enough Mike Stories So Here's One

TGFG - Thank God For Gail

I step lightly across the observation deck of the city pool, the coach has just blown the whistle and the ten kids on the swim team were off across the pool, I nearly missed it. Maddy comes in second this time and she climbs out of the pool and grabs her towel. I see her talking to another girl before she walks over to me.
“Hey Mom, can my friend come over?” she asks hopefully.
“I’m going to the movies with Mike tonight.” I say as her face drops.
“Please, just for dinner then.”
“What if she comes over tomorrow?” I say standing up, “Where’s her mom?”
“I think her dad is picking her up.” Maddy says looking around slowly. “Oh there she is.” Madison points to the observation deck across the pool and there I see Mike standing there talking to the brown haired girl Madison was talking to earlier.
“That’s not Mike is it?” I squint in disbelief. We walk over to that side of the pool area.

“Not today, I have a date this evening.” Mike says, his back to us.
“So do I.” he turns around slowly.
“Jade!” he says happily, “You never said Madison was on the swim team.”
“Holy shit, your mom is my dad’s girlfriend!” the dark haired girl says in amazement to Maddy.
“You must be Estelle.” I say laughing lightly.
“Yeah, call me Stella.” She says as she shakes hands with me. She turns to Mike, “Since Maddy is your date’s daughter can I go over?” I look at Mike.
“Only if I can come too.” Mike says jokingly.
“Alright then it’s settled.” I say smiling, “You girls go get changed we’ll meet you in the lobby.” The two nine year olds scamper off excitedly.

“Three days can pass pretty slow.” I say as I go to kiss Mike’s lips.
“Yeah.” He says taking my hand as we walk out of the pool area toward the lobby, “Time in studio has never seemed so long.”
“So what are you guys working on now?”
“A follow up on American Idiot, we’re almost done though.” He says as our hands start to swing interlocked back and forth, “So how’s work at CRAK?”
“Ahh just the usual, tomorrow we’re paying tribute to The Clash.”
“Then I’ll definitely have to listen in.”

Maddy and Stella finally find their way out of the changing room giggling and horsing around.
“Ready to go?” Mike asks, his free hand slipping into his pocket. The two girls nod and hurry ahead of us. We meet up with them in the parking lot where they’re waiting next to my car.

“Uhh, I’ll take my car and meet you at your apartment.” Mike says slowly letting go of my hand.
“Alright.” I press the little key remote to unlock the doors and the girls clamber into the back seat. I climb into the driver’s seat and start the car.

“Can you put this CD?” Maddy asks as she hands me a CD case. I look it over to see its The Ramones Greatest Hits. I pop it into the CD player and Blitzkrieg Bop starts up and the two girls sing along.

We arrive at the apartment at the same time as Mike. He’s holding Stella’s schoolbag. She takes it from him and we all head up to the apartment; Mike and I holding hands the whole way up.

When we get to my floor Mike wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me close. He smells so good.
“Oh wait, I gotta get Gail.” I say stopping in front of her door. I knock and wait.

“Hey Jade, Mike.” She says opening the door, “What’s up, oh crap, I’m supposed to baby-sit tonight.” She smacks her forehead.
“You can’t!” I say, I can feel my eyes bulging.
“I can, its just it’ll have to be here, I have a thesis paper to type up.”
“Yes!” Maddy yelps from down the hall, “Gail’s apartment is awesome.” She explains to Stella. The two girls run over to us.
“Bye Mom!” Maddy says excitedly.
“Bye Dad!” Stella yelps not far behind.
“Have fun.” Gail says laughing lightly.
“You too.” I joke as Mike and I head back down the hallway.

We didn’t watch most of the movie due to the fact we were too entranced with each other. Mike and I sat snuggled up in the back corner of the theatre until the last of the end credits rolled up the screen, like we didn’t want to return to reality.

“So where do you want to go?” Mike asks as we step out onto the sidewalk.
“Well I should really be getting home.” I answer, this is how I always answer after a date even a really good one, “we should go back to my apartment.” I clarify, as I said those last seven words I realized they haven’t been said in a while.
“Sure.” Mike says smoothly, his voice comparable to the foam on a cappuccino. We walk back to his car, enveloped in each other’s arms.

Back at my apartment, its dark. I quickly step across the apartment and open the door to Madison’s room to find that its empty.
“They stayed at Gail’s.” I say happily as I go over to Mike and wrap my arms around his neck. “Let’s go to bed.”

*cough* you know what happens now *cough*