He Looks Just Like You

II

Dean drove straight to the hospital. He didn’t stop to find accommodation, didn’t stop for food that his body was so loudly begging for. He was tired and confused and worried as he parked the Impala before jumping out of it and jogging for the sliding doors. He hated hospitals. Everything about them reminded him of death, of his fathers sacrifice for him, the deal with YED, him almost dying more then once. There were no good memories in hospitals for him and he had yet to decided whether or not this new news was good or not, if It was true at all. He ran to the front desk, looked left then right; his eyes frantic as he scanned each direction sign.

“Can I help you?” Dean turned to see a short woman in scrubs smiling up at him from behind a counter, surrounded in paperwork.

“I don’t know.” He muttered, his eyebrow raised as his brain ran a mile a minute to formulate something half decent as a response to the coming questions.

“Well, if you’re looking for someone, I can look them up for you.” She gestured to her computer with a warm grin. “You look frightened.”

“I kind of am. I don’t know whether its fright or something else.” He approached her, deciding he had no other option if he was going to get there in time.

“Alright, how about you tell me who you’re looking for.” She scooted over to the computer and waited.

“J,” he paused before rubbing his forehead.

“Just J? Nothing else? That’s going to be a long shot, kid.”

“Wesson.” He muttered.

“Sorry kid, no J. Wesson.” She looked back at him with a disapproving scowl. He thought for a moment before smiling ever so slightly.

“Winchester. Try Winchester.” He finished off, his eyes red with exhaustion. The woman stared at him a moment before clicking her tongue against the roof of her mouth and tapping quickly on her keyboard.

“I’ve got one, J. Winchester. Just in yesterday actually. Oooo, poor young thing. You the one got her this way?” She looked at him from under her lashes, her lips tight as if regarding him as some kind of inferior prey.

“Yeah.” Dean nodded before rubbing the back of his neck. “Is she okay?”

“Poor things in a lot of pain. From the looks of you, I’d say you breed big or something. You better be here to look after her or I’m’a beat you senseless, and I don’t even know you. That girl, she’s become apart of us even in such a short time. Sweetest kid I ever saw. Not the youngest we see through here, but she looks a little young for you though.”

“You saying I look old?” Dean muttered, the amusement he’d have normally had in the question wasn’t there though.

“No, I’m saying she looks young. And scared. If you got her this way, then you go be with her. God knows she’s got no one else.” The woman shook her head sadly and shuffled some papers into a file.

“Wait, what? What about her parents?” Dean asked, brows knit.

“Didn’t you know?” She studied him before sighing and shaking her head again. “Poor thing was kicked out of home. Seems her mommy and daddy didn’t much like the idea of her being with some guy they’d never met, let alone expecting. ‘No Wesson being no tramp with no bastard’. Just like them folk. All but threw her out on her ass. Been looking after herself these past months. Which begs the questions, where the hell were you?”

“I didn’t know.”

“She didn’t tell you, or you weren’t around to find out?”

“Both.” Dean dropped his head and looked away. Seeming to see something in his look, the woman sighed and softened before clicking her fingers at another, much younger nurse.

“Cleo, take the bench for a while, I got business.” The young woman simply nodded and took her place as the shorter nurse stepped around the bench and grabbed Dean’s hand. “What’s your name kid?”

“Dean.” He answered, not even bothering with a false name. He didn’t shake her grasp on him, could hardly feel it.

“Dean? Dean Winchester?” She looked him up and down. His warning bells went off in the back of his mind as she eyed him up.

“You know of me?”

“Nope. Never heard of you.” She laughed and continued on her way in front of him. “Got a good name on you though. Strong, proud name, family name. No wonder she booked in under you then her family. Least you showed.”

“What do you mean?” Dean frowned.

“Originally when she tried signing in, one of the nurses knew her. ‘You’re that Wesson girl, got herself thrown out of the family for sleeping around.’” She started but was cut off by Dean, an impatient huff causing her to look back at him.

“She is anything but a sleep around.” His tone caused her to stare at him with wide eyes before she grinned.

“See why she chose you over family.” She chuckled before turning a corner and slapping a button to the elevators. “Anyway, young’n insisted that she be signed in as Mrs. Winchester. But Lynnette, the fool, wouldn’t do it. So she goes and calls up those high noses up in Wesson manor and they go about telling her they got no daughter, she got her info all messed up. Bunch of snobs you ask me. So I come on in, wondering why there’s a ruckus, this ended up being the problem. So me being me, told Lynnette to get her skinny ass out of my section and to go be useless elsewhere. Signed that young girl in as your woman.”

“Mrs. Winchester?” Dean smiled fondly before he even realized he was doing it.

“Well that was kind of on me.” The woman tittered before stepping into the elevator when the doors opened. Dean stepped in beside her and waited. After a moment the doors closed and they were on their way up to the fourth floor. “I asked her who I could call and she kept on saying, ‘I have to call Dean. I have to call Dean.’ Poor thing was screaming through tears. I got her a phone and helped her out. Was me who put her in under your woman.”

“Why?” Dean asked softly.

“Seems the good doctors don’t think to highly of young single mama’s. So I made her your woman by law so she could get the best we have to offer without the dirty looks. She done herself right. She don’t need no high mighty doctor looking down on her.”

“Thank you.” Dean mumbled as the doors opened and they continued on down the corridor.

“Kept on telling me, ‘He’ll be here.’ Guess she was right, though I didn’t know if you’d show.” She shook her head and turned another corner, smiling at a younger woman who was nursing a small baby. “Doctor wanted to induce. She wouldn’t let him. ‘He’ll be here. He has to see. He’ll be here.’ Darn near got close to full blown mama lectures a few times.”

“Mama lectures?” Dean inquired.

“Yeah. You got your mama glares; just a look and it can put you in your place. Looks out of place on such a young one but she’s got the look. Mama lecture brings in the words. Shut them doctors down a few pegs. Almost felt a six pack coming on was laughing so hard when she threatened them with an ass beating. The poor love can hardly walk and she’s talking about kicking people in their faces if they take that away from you and her.”

“She actually said she’d kick people?” Dean asked with a wide grin.

“Said you taught her all she knew and she’d use it.” The nurse shook her head in humor before stopping by a wide white door. The curtains in the room were closed, the door shut, but Dean went pale at the sound of her pained screaming.

“How long has she been like that?”

“Near nineteen hours.” She nodded before smiling warmly. “She’ll see you and it’ll be all the better for her. Now go be by her side and hold her hand and you take everything she says to you to heart.”

“What should I expect?” Dean breathed deep and quickly.

“Everything.” She chuckled before opening the door.

“Wait, what’s your name?” Dean asked as she shoved him into the doorway.

“Cadit.” She winked before waving him into the room. Dean turned, the curtain blocking his view as he struggled with indecision. Her screaming burned itself into his mind, her crying making his heart tighten in his chest. And when she cried out his name, along with a questioning plea, he knew what he had to do. Squaring his shoulders, Dean stepped further into the room and pulled back the curtain.