Maybe Forever

Part 2

Jeremiah’s basement was neon green with purple carpet. It was divided into two rooms. The first room was a storage room and the second was a living space. Jonah and Luke sat on either side of me on the couch. Jeremiah and Kristen, my sister, sat on the bed. And the rest of the guys sat wherever they could.

Jonah’s arm was wrapped around my shoulder comfortably. They called everyone here on ‘official business’, if it were ‘official’ I don’t know why me and Kristen were here.

“We-” Nick began, tearing the awkward silence in to shreds. Jeremiah was quick to interrupt.

“Shut it! I’m going to tell this, since I worked harder than you.” He said excitedly. Jonah didn’t like Jeremiah that much. To tell the truth, I think Jonah was jealous of Jeremiah. Jonah has the perfect family with the perfect house in the perfect suburb, meaning he gets no sympathy. No one feels sorry for him. Jeremiah truly had worked harder than anyone.

“We got signed!” Jeremiah said excitedly. My heart nearly stopped.

“And that’s not all, we’re leaving on tour next week.” Nick said, he was satisfied, he still got to tell some good news.

“Aw I’m so happy!” Kristen exclaimed, wrapping her arms around Jeremiah’s neck. Me on the other hand, I was completely rocked by the announcement. My world had just been turned upside down.

I ran out of the room, leaving Jonah and everyone else to their selves. I didn‘t want in on their merriment. See, the difference between me and my sister is; my world just fell apart. She knew that she would be going or Jeremiah would be back for her after. But me? I would be old news as soon as they hit the road.

I sat down on the sidewalk, my denim shorts weren’t enough to save my legs from getting scratched from the asphalt.

“What’s wrong?” Jonah asked as he sat next to me.

I shook my head, denying the tears in my eyes.

He sighed, “Don’t lie, it doesn’t suit you.”

“I don’t want you to leave.” As soon as the words left my mouth the tears spilled down my cheeks, leaving black streaks from my mascara. I wiped them away with the back of my hand.

He looked down the street, staring at the rows of cars and empty parking spaces.

“I can’t stay.”

I sniffled, “Why not?”

“Andy, I have to do this. It’s my dream, you know that.” He said, that same gorgeous smile from yesterday planted on his face.

I blinked, “Can I go with you?”

He sighed, “No, I tried, I really did.”

I shook my head, “Then what am I supposed to do?”

He looked away from me, “Stop being selfish.”

“Stop being selfish? I hardly think not wanting to be abandoned is selfish.” I retorted, the tone in my voice like sharpened steel.

“I don’t know what to tell you, Andy. I think the words ‘get over it’ might be appropriate.” He snapped, I’d never in the entire time I’d known him seen this side of him. He was like two-face from batman, he had two side and when the bad one took over, he was just evil.

My mouth hung open. Someone who was my ‘best friend’, actually scratch that, only friend should at least show a little sympathy. Everyone I knew and loved would be leaving.

“Just leave.” I demanded, Jonah never hesitated, just stood up and walked away. That was the last time I ever saw him.

Last I heard his band was still operating out of the garage.