Sequel: Hidden in the Shadows
Status: Completed :) Onto the sequel!!

Playing the Game of Love

Chapter Twenty-Two

Some of you may hate me for this chapter lol :)

November 4th, 2010
Wednesday
The Julien Household, Lexington, MA
10:06 A.M.

That next morning Raina woke up very sore. The bruises had gotten worse and more sensitive overnight. When she managed to get out of bed she went downstairs to eat breakfast. She saw her father in the kitchen reading the newspaper and said

“Hey dad,” Raina walked stiffly over to the cabinet and took a pop tart out.

“What happened?” he said sounding extremely concerned for his daughter. Damn she needed an excuse for the bruises.

“I um, I played baseball with Jasmiina yesterday at the batting cages and got hit a couple of times.”

“As long as you’re feeling ok-”

“I’m feeling fine, just a little sore,”

“Alright well I actually have to ask you something,”

“What,”

“Now I know you haven’t been going to a lot of games or practices but I need you to come to practice with me today.” Raina nearly dropped the pop tart she was holding.

“What?!”

“Doug is sick with the stomach bug and I need another person out on the ice today.”

“Dad I-”

“Please, I really need another person to help on the bench.” Raina hated it but took a deep breath and said

“Fine I’ll come,”

“Good, thank you so much sweetie, Doug will be back soon.” The practice was much later in the day at 6:00. Raina spent the day working with the horses on her mother’s request and then got ready to go. She went through the old routine of getting her skates, helping her dad put some equipment in the trunk, and heading off to practice.

When she walking into the rink and got on the bench the players she hadn’t seen in so long gave her surprised looks. Marc Savard skated over and said

“Where have you been?”

“I’ve been looking at a lot of colleges lately, I’ve been going to the games, and I’ve just been sitting in the balcony.”

“Oh,” he said, still sounding concerned. The bruises on her face didn’t help kill their curiosity as they skated around the rink in circles warming up. Tuukka sat down on the bench to get a drink and said

“What are you doing here?”

“My dad made me come because Doug’s sick,”

“Jasmiina told me what happened,” he said looking at her bruises.

“It was horrible,” said Raina.

“Things are gonna get better,” he said.

“I’m pretty sure you told me the same thing like five weeks ago.”

“Things always get worse before they get better,” she smiled at him and said

“It’s always darkest before the dawn?” Tuukka laughed remembering the time he, Jasmiina, and Raina had sat down and watched The Dark Knight.

Jasmiina and Tuukka sat down on the couch sharing a large bowl of popcorn. A second later Raina walked in, a CD held in hand.

“Are we watching another of your horror movies?”

“Nope, even better,”

“What would that be?”

“The Dark Knight,”

“I heard about that movie,” said Jasmiina.

“Have either of you seen it?” asked Raina.

“No,” said Jasmiina.

“Oh good, you get to see one of the greatest movies in the world for the first time with me.”

“I bet it completely sucks,” said Tuukka. Raina put the disc in the DVD player and pressed play. Raina went back to the couch and sat with Jasmiina. The movie began and nobody talked.

Two and half hours later the movie was over. Raina turned to them for their reactions. Jasmiina said

“That was awesome!”

“That absolutely sucked it was so horrible.” Said Tuukka, “That was worse than the 10th Friday the 13th movie where they have Jason come back in the future.” Both girls looked at him horrified.

“That was an amazing movie,” said Jasmiina.

“Harvey Dent’s acting was horrible,” said Tuukka. He stood up off the couch and said “I could act better than him.”

“Give us a time during that movie you thought was the worst,” said Raina.

“When Harvey Dent was giving his speech. I almost laughed when he was trying to be all serious and say ‘The night is darkest before the dawn.”

“That was the best part!” complained Jasmiina.

“It was atrocious,” said Tuukka.

“Were you even watching the same movie as us?” said Raina.

“Yes and what I saw made me want to kill myself.” Raina shoke her head at him and said

“I’m sorry you couldn’t see that amazing masterpiece the way we could.”


“You’re right,” said Tuukka, “it is always darkest before the dawn.” Practice started and Tuukka had to be in net. Raina helped her father with some of the equipment every so often but mostly watched the practice from the bench. Milan was completely ignoring her. He didn’t look at her once. Even when he came over to the bench to get a drink, he acted like she wasn’t even there. She felt annoyed and a little angry at him. When practice was over only a few players remained out on the ice. Raina laced up her skates and went out onto the ice to pick up the orange cones and pucks that had been used.

She was stacking some of the cones together when she looked up to see there was only one player still out on the ice with her. Milan. She was unsure of what to do. He was circling around the rink lazily on his skates, not looking at her. She picked up the cones and put them on the bench. He was still skating. She took a deep breath and approached him. She skated over.

“Hey can I talk to you,” he didn’t answer her. She tried again “Milan?” he still didn’t answer her and continued skating forward. “What’s wrong with you?” she said. He suddenly stopped and turned to her and yelled

“What’s wrong with me?! What’s wrong with you?!” she was taken aback that he had snapped at her so quickly.

“Milan-”

“No stop, I don’t want to hear it. You’ve become such a whore; I know what went on with Jeff in California. How many guys are you stringing along now?” Raina started screaming back.

“What the fuck I didn’t do anything to you! I punched you’re dumb ass girlfriend in the face because she was getting in mine!” Milan got closer to her, his large body towering over her. She felt a cold fear wash over her as she saw his large fists clench.

“You’re an evil bitch; you’re the one who started that! Brittany wasn’t doing anything to you at the time! She even talked about how she was trying to be friendly but you pushed her away and wanted to fight her.” Now Raina’s anger and distress became too much for her to handle. She began to sob and said through her tears

“She’s a liar! She split us apart! We were so close to each other before. Do you even remember what we used to be like together, and all the great times we had?! I did and I still do love you but I was fine just staying friends with you because I couldn’t stand the thought of losing you all together!” now they were completely in each others faces. “But now I wish I’d never even met you Milan Lucic!” She shoved him hard in the chest and went to skate away. Suddenly she felt a large hand on her back push her from behind. She screamed as she lost her footing and slipped head first down onto the ice. She felt an explosion of pain, the world sunk away as she slipped into unconsciousness.

Milan breathed heavily as he looked down on Raina’s limp body. His anger flared up again and he yelled

“Get up I know you’re faking! You’d do anything for attention!” Then he felt a horrific fear wash over him when he saw a thick dark red stream of blood seep out from under her head.
__________________________________________________
You guys probably hate me because of this chapter lol. You're gonna have to wait and see what happens lol. Thanks for reading, let me know what you think in the comments. :)