Sequel: Ruthless blood
Status: I dont take that long to update.

Running on Adrenaline

Chapter 18: Dix-huit

I opened and closed the door quietly and before collapsing on my bed, I remembered the package my mum sent me.

I sat next to the box covered in packaging tape. I smiled at my mum’s attempt at wrapping something.

When I finally got past the 3 layers of tape she pedantically put there I opened the box to find a colorful package surrounded by some things I left at home.

I picked up a card and started reading.

“Amelia,
Happy birthday darling.
We got you something that might help you remember what home feels like
We do miss you, we know it might take some time for you to understand why we shipped you there.
But we’re willing to wait
Lots of love
Mum, dad and Steve”

My mum still signed the card with my brother’s name on it, she didn’t believe that he should ever be forgotten; after all he was a member of our family. And would always be.

I picked up the small parcel and unwrapped it to find a picture frame. The picture was of me and my brother, well before our teenage years. Just kids playing in our front yard and smiling like the surrounding world wasn’t falling down around us.

The box contained my film camera and a stuffed toy I still slept with most nights. My mum also managed to send me one of my favorite books. Another small box was found at the bottom of the package it was worn out and somehow looked familiar.

I opened the note that was addressed to me stuck on it “Open this when you feel like the world is falling down. I mean it Amelia, this is only for desperate measures. Stevie” I placed this box under my pillow.

I suddenly felt bad for all the partying and band practice I participated in to avoid school. And to add to that, I didn’t even remember it was my own birthday tomorrow. I decided I would call my mum tomorrow morning. But right now, I needed to call someone and tell them about the night I just had.

I swiped my phone from the drawer in my bedside table and walked to the bathrooms to get a little more privacy.

The phone rang a couple of times and she finally picked up.

“I’m in English you bitch” she spoke quietly; I could just picture her hiding behind a book she would never read. I laughed.

“Gimme one second” I could then hear her excuse herself from the classroom “I’m here, what’s up?”

“A guy” I smiled.

“Please do tell” she sounded eager, I heard some people talking in the background “Excuse,
juniors, could you shut it, I’m on a very important phone call” the girls hushed and I chuckled.

“Still picking on those poor-“

“Don’t change the subject, tell” she ordered.

I told her everything from the first meeting in the library to his cute little mannerisms and our kiss.

“Stick with him, I approve of him, I don’t like the sound of that Oli character though” she warned.

“Don’t worry, nothing will be happening between us” I assured her.

“OHHH” she exclaimed “It’s your birthday today beautiful! Happy 18th, I wish we could party hardy over here” she moped.

I laughed and thanked her, while confessing I forgot it was even my birthday.

“Wait, isn’t it like the middle of the night over there?” she questioned.

“Yeah, it’s my birthday tomorrow here”

“Go to sleep, you need your beauty sleep for Brian” she sang his name in a way that made me miss her so much.

“I miss you” I groaned.

“And I miss you too sweets, but right now I need to go back to school”

I let her go after a long goodbye and another happy birthday squeal, I then walked slowly back to my room, placed my picture frame on my bedside table and slipped into my bed with my blanket to my chin. Home was a faraway place at that moment, but I guess that was faraway place I could only dream of for now.

I woke to Hannah’s annoyed voice.

“Lia, come on. We have class in 5 minutes” she then stopped when she saw me open just one eye and peer at her. I then turned away from her. I heard her pick up something and put it back down.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY” she yelled “why didn’t yeh tell us it was yeh birthday?” she ripped the blanket off me and hugged me tightly.

“I forgot” I sheepishly admitted

“Well happy birthday, the first thing on the list for yeh special day is Maths, yay” she sarcastically yelled.

“Best birthday ever” I answered back just as sarcastically.

I was dressed at lightning speed as Hanna threw clothing at me like she was some form of superhero. I let my hair fall over my shoulders today, and ran my fingers through my fringe, deciding it would be better to pin it up today.

I fiddled with my hair while in Maths and scribbled some ideas for my art project. Something about having my own camera back made me feel a little more inspired. The loud bell woke me from my daze and Hannah was at my side from nowhere.

“You scared me” I exclaimed, Hannah laughed and linked our arms together as we walked out of the classroom.

Loud footsteps were heard one after the other, closely approaching me until I felt a pair of arms wrap around my torso.

“ ‘appy Birthdayyyyyy” Jeremy yelled once he did so a few people looked at me and smiled.

“Hush Jeremy, I don’t like birthdays” I warned.

He scoffed and put his arms around my shoulders.

“How did you even know?”

“Hannah here is a quick texter” he winked at her and she laughed.

In that next second Tom was at my side too, smiling

“So, its yeh big day. What did yeh ‘ave planned?”

“Nothing, and its gonna stay that way” I said coldly.

They all looked at me questioningly and Hannah and Jeremy instantly sensed the tension between Tom and I, Hannah sighed and signaled to Jeremy to walk in the opposite direction.

“So I wish yeh a happy birthday and this is wha’ I get?” Tom questioned.

“You told him Tom”

He looked confused for a bit and seemed to have realized it when a guilty expression flashed across his face.

“He’s meh brother” is all he could usher up.
“I know he’s your brother, but he’s also Oli” he seemed to understand this.
“I mean, didnt you see how hard it was for me to tell you?” I seemed to be making a good point.
“Yeah, I know. It was painful to watch” he quietly added.
We just continued walking side by side, we didn’t have anything else to say to each other. He finally spoke up.
“Happy birthday anyway” he said with a small voice and turned down a hall to his next classroom.

I sighed and leaned up against a wall with my books held tightly in my arms. My head was thrown back and leaned against the wall, a thump was felt in my stomach and I jerked up head up to see Oli.

“Can you not hit me?” I said covering my stomach.
“Tha’ was a tap” he claimed.
I looked at him, waiting for a purpose to this conversation. I then rolled my eyes and pushed past him to continue to my next class.
“ ‘appy birthday” he finally called after me, I waved back at him without turning around.
“Thanks” I replied.

When I finally got into the safety of my next class, I sat and opened my notebook. I was glad I didn’t have to thank anyone else for a birthday wish. As I wrote down the notes being put up on the board a ball of paper was thrown at me. I looked over to the general direction. Why were people here so childish? I then turned back to my page as another ball of paper was thrown my way. I raised my head, with the ball in my hand at the ready.

“Ms Stokes” the teacher looked confused at the sight of me holding up the paper ball.
My mouth remained open as I caught sight of Hannah and Brian outside my classroom laughing. I sighed.

“Can I take a walk? Can’t sit still” the teacher flicked her wrist allowing me, and I quickly walked out to find Hannah pushing Brian forward.

“He was lookin’ for yeh” he smiled.
“Why aren’t you in class?” I asked Hannah.
“Study period” she reminded me, walking away in the direction of the library.
“I wish I had more of those” I mentioned, Brian just looked at me smiling.
“ ‘appy birthday” he finally said.
“Thanks” I tucked my hair behind my ear “I feel old though” I joked.
“Don’t worreh, the feeling fades” he then took my hand gently in his, and lightly placed a kiss on my lips.
My stomach fluttered a little and my heart stopped for just a moment.
“I just wanted to wish yeh a happy birthday” he waited for me to speak, but I just smiled “yeh migh’ wanna get back to class” he mentioned chuckling, I then turned to walk back, I turned for just a moment, to see him looking back at me. Thankfully, that’s what I got.

The day went surprisingly fast, and I couldn’t wait to get back to my room to sleep before I had to go to band practice. Unfortunately that plan was destroyed by the English essay I had to write. I huffed and threw a mental tantrum while stomping to the library.

While working someone tapped me on the shoulder, that someone was Oli. Again.

“Yes?” I said while continuing to write.
“Maths is mean” he childishly groaned.
“English is a bitch” I retorted in that same tone.
“yeh gonna help meh?”
“Nope” I said, I finished writing the essay and started to pack up my area.
“Why not?”
“I have a band practice to get to” I sighed.

“Yeh seem thrilled about that” while he was laughing I walked away and down the many stairs to the basement. I found it empty.
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry if this is to long peeps
hope you liike it, a bit of drama, a bit of lovey dovey
ya know
THATS HOW I ROOOOLL

you guys always leave such nice comments, only makes me want to write more :)