Live For the Sake Of Living

Chapter Nineteen

Image

"Do you, Michelle DiBenedetto, take this man to be your husband, for rich or for poor, in sickness and in health, for as long as you both shall live?" the minister asked.

"I do..." she whispered, and I probably wouldn't have been able to hear her if I wasn't standing next to Val, who was the Maid of Honor, about three feet away from Michelle. I wish I could have seen her face at the very moment she answered the question, but she was turned toward Brian, who couldn't look happier if he tried. To the right of Brian, right in my line of sight, was Zack. He was the Best Man, and I couldn't stop glancing at him because of what I had learned earlier in the day. It almost really upset me that here he was, a best friend to my father, and the Best Man at his wedding, knowing that he had messed around with Brian's high school girlfriend and had fathered the child Brian had thought was his for seventeen years, right behind his back.

"And do you, Brian Haner Jr., take this woman here to be your wife, for rich or for poor, in sickness and in health, as long as you both shall live?" the minister then asked Brian, drawing me back to the real world.

"I do," he said, and the light in his eyes sad it all - he'd been waiting for this day for a long time.

"Then by the power invested in me by the State of California, I now pronounce you man and wife. You may kiss the bride."

"Finally!" Brian said, and there were a few laughs from the guests before cat calls and whoops sounded, Brian pulling Michelle to him and kissing her soundly on the lips. I smiled, happy for them in that moment. They would have reached it a lot sooner if I hadn't came in and meddled with their lives, but I was glad I got to be a part of it in the end.

After pulling away, Brian took Michelle's hand and practically dragged her down the aisle to the limousine awaiting them outside, and I knew that he just wanted to get her away from the crowd and have her all to himself so they could do things that I didn't even want to think of, before the limo brought them back, since the reception was being held in the same dance hall.

After they left, the rest of us were left with the task of rearranging the chairs out of the rows they were in, and bringing out the tables the guests would be eating at. At the same time, the caterers started bringing the food, just getting everything ready so that when the time came, no one would have to wait for their food.

"Hey baby," Jesse said, coming up behind me as I placed a chair at a table, his arms wrapping around my waist. Leaning back, I smiled, feeling him kiss my neck before he let go, letting me turn to face him. He was dressed to the nines and looked very impressive. "You ready to go start setting up?" he asked, and I nodded, moving toward the small raised stage along one wall of the room, right in front of the dance floor. The rest of the guys in the band were there waiting, and once Jesse and I got there, we started moving equipment and setting up the drum set, tuning the guitars to make sure they were ready. We were going to play the first dance for my parents. The guys thought the song I had packed out was too girly, but after pleading and then reminding them that it was a wedding, they agreed.

"Charlotte!" I heard someone call for me, and I looked over at Val to see her waving me over quickly as she rushed to me at the same time.

"What's up?"

"Bri and Michelle are just getting back, and they want to hurry and do the pictures outside before they come in and get announced," she explained, and I nodded, looking over my shoulder and telling the guys I would be right back.

Once we were all outside, the wedding party got together for their pictures as a group, and then the photographer did shots of just the bride, groom, Maid of Honor, and Best Man together, and then the ones of just Brian and Michelle together.

"Wait!" Michelle called out as the photographer got ready to get back to the reception hall from where we were all outside. "Charlie, come here... Bring your brother," she said, calling me over, and I smiled, grabbing Jack and placing him on my hip. He looked so cute in his little tuxedo. After taking a couple shots of us just as a family, Brian insisted that we get a couple of just me and him together. And of course, he had to go and kiss my cheek during one, causing me to make a face, but I laughed about it after.

Once pictures were over, I hurried back inside to get on stage with the guys.

"May I have your attention please?" Matt called out, using the microphone to get everyone quiet. "It is my pleasure to introduce to you, for the first time in public, Mr. and Mrs. Brian Haner Jr.," he said, and they entered to an applause, walking down the open path we had made among the chairs and to the middle of the dance floor. The lights were dimmed except for the stage and the middle of the dance floor, and Brian and Michelle both looked at us, waiting for us to start.

The band began to play, and I took the mic in hand. "I've been searching for, a heart that needs a heart like mine. I've been reaching for, a hand that understands. I've been waiting for, someone that I can love that loves me. Loves me for the one that I am. Someone to hold me when I'm lonely. Someone to keep the rain away. They say, they say, they say...

"There's one in this world for everyone. One heart, one soul to walk beside you. One in this life to share your love. One touch to touch the heart inside you. One to reach for each night, one to trust with your life. That's why I believe, you're the one. You're the one in this world for me.

"I've been praying that, someone like you would rescue me. I've been hoping that, I'd find my way to you. I've been dreaming that, somehow I'd finally find somebody. Somebody to make my dreams come true. Someone to hold me when I'm lonely. Someone to give me whole world to. They say, they say, they say...

"There's one in this world for everyone. One heart, one soul to walk beside you. One in this life to share your love. One touch, to touch the heart inside you. One to reach for each night, one to trust with your life. That's why I believe, you're the one. You're the one in this world for me..."

The song broke off into a small solo, and I smiled down at my mom and dad as he pressed his forehead into hers, smiling.

"Someone to hold me when I'm lonely. Someone to tell my secrets to. Someone who's living for me only. Someone to give my whole world to. They say, they say. They say, they say...

"There's one in this world for everyone. One heart, one soul to walk beside you. One in this life to share your love. One touch, to touch the heart inside you. One to reach for each night, one to trust with your life. That's why I believe, you're the one. You're the one in this world for me..." I sang, and then glanced back over my shoulder at Jesse, my eyes catching with him as he looked back, smiling. "You're the one. You're the one in this world for me..."
♠ ♠ ♠
Only one more to go!!!!