Life of a Tainted Soul

Chapter 3: New Beginnings

Chapter 3

“Rise and shine sleeping beauty!!!” Tommy yells at me while jumping on my bed.

He’s the devil, I swear.

I look over at the clock on my night stand. It reads 7:30 am. What in God’s name…

“Is the house on fire?” I ask.

“No” he answers confused.

“Is someone dead?” I question again.

“No” he said still confused.

I sit up, turn to him, then hiss “Then Get.Out.” in the deadliest way possible.

He gives me the deer in the headlights look.

“Down girl. I don’t want your head spinning out of control again Emily Rose” he smirks.

I roll my eyes the pull my covers back over me.

“Get out…” I groan.

He sighs. “Look Zuri. I know this is far from what you expected your senior year to be like, but this is the way it is now so why not try to make the best of it. Don’t you think?”

“I guess..” I call out from under the covers.

“Good”, he says then pulls the covers off of me then smacks my ass, “Now move those cheeks so we can start this day!”.

I grab my ass in pain. “OWW! Get out stupid!”

He smirks. “Aww don’t be so salty. Don’t worry it’s nice and firm”.

He walks out the room laughing but not before winking at me.

I’m going to kill him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3 hours, 10 stores, and 12 bags [that Tommy has to carry] later we’re sitting in the food court. Tommy plops down in a chair dropping all the bags on the floor.

“Hey! Watch it! That’s precious cargo you know?” I exclaim.

He rolls his eyes and snorts, “oh I’m sorry I didn’t know shorts and sandals had to be handled with such delicate care”.

I pat him on the head, “aww its okay Tommy boy, I don’t expect you to know to much of anything”.

He smirks, “Hey Zuri do me a favor and-“

“Hey what’s up Tommy?”

We are interrupted by green eyed red head. She’s gorgeous. About 5’8 and could easily pass as a Victoria Secret model. She’s being escorted by two guys that should be on a Abercrombie and Fitch billboard. Both were about 6’2 with a very athletic build.

“Elena, Grant, Aiden what’s up guys?” He gives Elena a hug and does “the guy handshake” with Grant and Aiden.

“Nothing much dude. I didn’t even know you were in town. When are you going back home?” Grant asks.

Tommy looks down and gives a solemn look but a second later is back to his happy expression. It happened so fast I almost thought I was seeing things.

“Oh I’m not going home”. He gives Elena a million dollar smile. “I’ll be spending my senior year here”.

Elena turns as red as her hair. Hmm what’s up with these two?

Grants nods his head. “That’s great man…”

He continues but I stop listening. I guess I’m not important enough to be introduced, which is perfectly fine with me. I’m not here to make friends. I plan to be in and out in a year. Friends will just make situation sticky. I look past Grant and see a little girl running up mother. Her mom picks her up and spins her around while laughing. I see her mom whisper ‘I love you’ in her ear. My eyes start to water and I start to remember my mother.

It was the middle of summer and I was 12 years old. My mom and I went to the beach for a mother/ daughter day.

“Zuri come look at this!”my mom yells.

I run from the other side of the beach to her. She has a huge sea shell in her hand.

“Omg mom its beautiful. It almost looks fake it’s so perfect” I exclaim grabbing it from her.

“I know. Listen to it. It sounds like the ocean is in it”.

I put the shell up to my hear, “I can hear the waves!”

She laughs and says, “cool isn’t it?”

“yeah” I say with a sad smile.

She see’s the change in my demeanor and asks, “What’s wrong Ree?”. She always cuts my name short like that.

I look down and kick the sand. “Nothing I just wish dad was here”.

She nods her head showing that she understood.

“He’s never coming back is he?” I ask.

She grabs hold of my hand then squeezes. “No, I’m afraid not Ree..”

I sigh and let go of her hand. I sit down on the beach and put my head to my knees.

“but” she continues, “even though he isn’t coming back, I’ll never leave you Zuri. We’re a team. Wherever you are I will always be with you”.

I snort, “You can’t be everywhere I am mom. That’s impossible”.

She thinks about it, “Well if I’m not with you in physically, pick up a sea shell and call me”.

I start laughing. “A sea shell mom?”

She smiles, “yes a sea shell”.

She picks up the sea shell she found earlier and gives it to me. Then she picks up another sea shell and puts it up to her ear.

“Now, call me” she says grinning.

I roll my eyes playfully, “you’re ridiculous”.

She taps her foot pretending to be impatient. “I’m waiting”

I laugh then put the sea shell up to my ear and say, “Hey mom. you’re a nut, but I love you”.

She smiles then puts her sea shell in her pocket and comes and gives me a hug.

“See? And I’ll be able to hear you whether I’m 2 or 2 million ft away.”

I just smile in response. She squeezes me tighter in our hug and kisses me on my forehead.

“I love you too Zuri and I’ll never stop.”

I feel a tear roll down my face. I wipe it away quickly so Tommy or his friends wouldn’t see it. I look at them to see Elena, Grant and Tommy are still talking but Aiden is staring at me.

Hard.

He doesn’t stop either when he see’s I’ve caught him being a creeper. He had hazel eyes, with short black hair, and light brown skin. He was hot, I’d give him that, but he’s starting to creep me out with this staring thing.

“Tommy who’s your friend?” Aiden asks never taking his eyes off me.

Tommy slaps himself in the forehead. “Damn I’m sorry Zuri. I’m so rude. Zuri this is Elena, Grant, and Aiden. Guys this is Zuri. Zuri is my niece” he says with a smile.

Elena laughs, “She’s your what Tommy?”

“I’m serious!” he exclaims, “She’s my sister’s husband’s daughter. She’s my niece.”

Grant laughs, “Wow that’s unfortunate”.

“Ha! That’s an understatement.” I say shaking my head.

“Whatever you know you want me to pin you down and make you say uncle” whispers Tommy in my ear, but loud enough for everyone to hear.

“Dude. That’s like incest. Not cool.” Grant says with a disgusted look.

Tommy shakes his head. “No blood relation so its game on!” He slaps my ass. AGAIN.

I knee him in the balls, “stop doing that assclown”.

Aiden chuckles and says, “well since it’s game on, would you mind some competition?” say what?

Elena, intrigued, asks “What do you mean competition? Are you interested Aiden?”

He smirks still staring at me intensely, “Very.”

I clear my throat and feel my face heating up. Get it together Zuri! He senses my uneasiness. “Do I make you nervous?”

Big time. Dumbfounded I cant move my tongue to talk nervous.

“Forget making her nervous. Priority right now is finding ice for my balls!” says a hunched over Tommy. Damn I couldn’t love his douchebag-ness anymore right now.

“man up Tommy. Bitch-ass-ness is not in season” Elena teases.

“Neither is bruised balls. I need to go home and sit for awhile, you ready Zuri?”

“Yeah let’s go”. I pick up my bags. “It was nice meeting you guys”.

“You too. You’re coming to Grant’s party tomorrow right?” Elena asks.

I shrug. “I wasn’t invited”.

“Consider that your invitation” she says.

I think about it. “umm I don’t know…”

“Don’t worry Zuri we don’t bite” Grants says with a smile.

Aiden grins. “Well unless you want me to”.

I look at him and smirk. Who do you think you are?

“I’ll see you there”.