Darkest of Them All

Disturbed

Zack stirred in his sleep. His dream was quite sweet, meeting his parents... His biological parents again. It was a perfect dream, one he didn't want to end... Ever. He was fast asleep, comfortable and loving the dream, until...

The door banged open and Zack jolted from his sleep. The low grunts of his stepfather made his heart beat fast and with fear. He knew that when his stepdad goes grunting like that, there was something wrong.

The man marched in and stared at the startled boy, who was clinging on to the bedsheets in fear. There was a wild, maniacal look in his eyes as he stared at Zack's fearing own. Zack was shaking slightly, and was clearly scared of his stepfather's angry gaze. A moment passed and nothing happened. Nothing.

Finally, Zack saw his stepdad reach a tampered envelope from his backpocket and waved it in front of the terrified teenager. The envelope was forced open, with the torn content inside it. It was his stepfather's letters and illegal business deals with a local druglord, and was very important for his fuming stepdad.

"Boy... Tell me... You touched this, didn't you?" he said, his breath flaming in anger.

Zack was really scared.

"No..." he whispered.

"Don't reply in a pansy tone! DID YOU DO THIS?!" his stepfather boomed.

"No...." he said, but managed to say the words clearly.

"Boy, do you expect me to believe you?"

Zack fell silent. He didn't know what to say. His stepfather NEVER even listened to him. How could he believe in him?

"BOY, THIS IS A CLEAR SIGN YOU DID THIS!" he boomed, grabbing hold of Zack's shirt.

"NO FATHER! I DIDN'T DO IT! I DIDN'T! HONEST! I HAVEN'T COME OUT OF THIS ROOM SINCE YESTERDAY!" Zack cried, tears welling up in his eyes.

The man let go of his shirt and laughed a devilish laugh. A laugh that ringed in Zacks ears and fuelled him with revenge. He then realized that it was the day... The day he'd finally have to make this man stop whipping him. And he just waited for the right time to do so.