Blink

High School

I felt shaken and open my eyes. Oh Benji.

“Thanks!” I don’t know why I said that so loud. I covered my mouth and looked around and saw we were in the back of the school behind the student parking lot. I thought that ironic. I slid down his right side and he trotted over to a tree and got dressed. I waited and checked my hair before he was at my side beaming and afraid at the same time. I rolled my eyes. He went for my hand and I had a panic-thought. How am I supposed to explain Benji to my friends? Like I could lie. But, my besties will know automatically that he wasn’t a close relative or like my boyfriend. So that only leaves my aunt and uncle going on a anniversary and leaving him with my mom. Aunt will be Krysta and Uncle will be Daniel. He looks so different cause Aunt Krysa is the one who is married into the family. They live in…

“Benji? What states do you remember well enough to say you’ve lived there?”

“Mostly Tulsa.”

“Oklahoma?”

“Yea.”

“Okay. That’s where you and Aunt Krysta and Uncle Daniel live. They are having their anniversary and you are already out of school.”

“Wow. Nice cover story.”

“It’s a gift and a curse. An honest lie if you will call it that.” I smiled. He grabbed my hand and leaned down to my shoulder.

“Could we edit the story a bit?”

“Umm. What do you want edited?”

“It would be incest for us to be related. How bout my ‘parents’ be close friends of your mom and asked for a favor.” he whispered. I was kinda more than shocked. Benji likes me. Well I like him sorta too. I don’t completely hate him or dislike him. I really shouldn’t care this much but I am a sucker for eyes like his. Damn it! I should have blinked in the car. No I should have let us get toppled over. Why me? But oh well now I guess. Let’s see what happens.

“Okay Benji.”

“You don’t look so happy Kurai.”

“I am happy. Sophomore year is almost over for me. Let’s go to the front office and get you a visitor pass.” he nodded and grabbed my hand. It was so sweaty. I looked up at him and he purposefully looked away. I reached up and grabbed him by his neck so he would look at me.

“Benji calm down. You are safe. This is just High School. The worst that could happen is you get detention.” He sighed heavily and I hooked his arm. We walked in and told the story. It was almost foiled when she asked what his school was.

“Broken Arrow Ma’am.” he said calmly. She smiled and gave him his sticker. He put it on and we walked out. Both releasing our breath.

“That was a close one.” I muttered. Now to go meet my friends. “To the Cafeteria.” I walked forward and was yanked back. I looked up at Benji a little pissed. “Come, now.” he looked at me and stepped out of my comfort zone knowing as hot as Benji is that girls will be definitely looking and guys too to see what’s got the girls distracted. But, I took his right arm and pulled it around my waist.

“Kurai you don’t have to. I’ll calm down.” I ignored him and wrapped my arm around him too. Then we walked. I started conversation with him to ease both of our nerves.

“Well seeing as you are so fast. We have a lot of time to hang with my friends. Hea and Asana are like sisters to me. So is Penelope. Well, she hates her name since I started calling her Pinochio.” he laughed. “So, she goes by Penny instead. Then, there are the guys.”

“Guys? Are any your like, boyfriend?” I noticed how he seemed a bit possessive of me when he pulled me closer.

“No Benji. They are just my friends.” Remember Kurai. He is part wolf. Wait. Has he claimed me? That sounds bad.

“Whatever you do. You do not hurt any of them.”

“Why would I do that?”

“Because I plan to act like normal around them. I might sit on their lap or hug them or walk with them like I am doing you.”

“But you just said you had no boyfriend.”

“I consider them brothers Benji. But I will not hesitate to give all I got to kicking your ass if you hurt them Benji.”

“Sorry Kurai. I have no right to be so possessive.”

“It’s alright wolf boy.” I giggled when he tickled my side. “Don’t do that.” I looked up and saw my confused friends. “Oh and they might act the same towards you.”

I pulled out of his possessive hold on my waist and bum rushed Hea and Asana in a two-person bear hug. We all squealed together.

“So who is he?” Asana asked without caring that Benji was right behind me trying to get to me. I stepped back to him and wrapped my arms around him.

“This big log of dude is Benjamin. His parents asked my mom at the last minute to let him stay at my place while they do the nasty in the Caribbean.” my friends started laughing and Benji did too acting on cue.

“Come on now Kurai. I do not need that image.”

“Who said anything about an image?” I moaned really loud and everyone fell out laughing.

“Rai. You are such a perv!” Hea laughed out. I smiled and squealed when Ryan tickled me yelling “Hey!”.

I quickly looked at Benji and he looked tense. I glared at him and he calmed down and smiled sheepishly.

“Hey Ryan!” I said hugging him tightly. His hair was red on the tips. I stepped away and sat down and gestured for everybody to come to my bag. I opened it and everyone smiled.

“So here Rai?” Asana said pointing around our area that we’ve claimed since Freshman year

“Yes Asana.” I said with a grin.

“Boys will you guys be runners for Burger King? That way we can set up all the stuff to just chill for the lunch hour.” they all nodded and I looked to Benji.

“Umm. Would you guys mind if I came along too?” he said more confident than he looked.

“If you’re a friend of Rai’s, then you’re a friend of ours. Benjamin.” Jaden said .

“I like being called Benji.” I looked up at him and smiled.

“Cookies!” All the girls squealed when the monitors came and finally unlocked the cafeteria I waited for Ms. Denise to get out of the way at a safe distance and ran in. I saw Sam. She is the funniest lunch lady. She let’s me call her by her first name.

“Morning Kurai. How many this time?” I smiled. I took out a $5 dollar bill and got my 4 cookies and waited for all my friends who had of course trailed after me. We went back to our corner and saw unwanted. Unwanted are people who constantly try to get our area. They looked at me.

“Let’s go for loud and obnoxious.” So we all went and acted like they weren’t there and ate our cookies and talked normal. But extra loud. And as soon as they got the hint and left we all chilled and made our huddle and listened to music till the bell. But of course we just had to be in site of the Senior chemistry teacher. Always talking about PDA.

“And what do we have here? You are all in violation of PDA. Please move away from each other to an appropriate distance.” she said. When we didn’t move she came closer and we all looked at Jaden and he nodded. The bell was finst to ring anyways. So, we just got ready and ignored her.

“So we go to our first two classes and then lunch and then the assembly and we are released for the cheap festivities.” Ryan said. We all nodded and stayed in our huddle and throwing glances at the the Chem lady who just stayed there watching us.

“Go Away!” I yelled. Everyone looked at me. She looked like she was waiting for that.

“It’s a song.” Hea added with a smile.

“Go Away! You’re really annoying!” Asana sang.

“Go away!” Everyone yelled.

“You are not wanted here!” Ryan sung. Then counted to three with his fingers.

“Goooo A-Waay!” We all did.

“Dun, dun, dun.” Benji ended and I high-fived him. Then the bell went off and we laughed and departed. Benji of course went with me and Hea to our first class, Language Arts. She had his other arm and we went to class.