Status: May 26 : Updated!

Your Biggest Misconception

Chapter 13

“Holy shit, it’s packed.” I whispered as we drove through the tiny parking lot on the backside of the Slidebar in downtown Fullerton. I had been to this bar many times but never had I seen it this crowded before. There was actually a line to get in and it wrapped around the building almost to Commonwealth Street, which was on the opposite side of the building.

“Damn, there’s not parking here. Guess we should try the structure across the street.” Amanda said as she steered the car out of the lot and around the corner before pulling into the outdoor structure.

“This is probably better so we won’t be mauled while we go in.” Matt said as he too eyed the crowd.

“I thought we were going in the back entrance?” I questioned as we hopped out and I straightened my black skinny jeans.

“We are. That doesn’t mean we won’t be mauled by fans in line though.” Zack said as he wrapped his arm around my waist casually.

“Just promise me I won’t be attacked by any psycho fans of yours tonight.” I grumbled as we met up with Brian, Johnny and Jimmy who had parked one row over in the structure from us.

“No can do babe.” Matt laughed.

Brian, with his arm around Amanda, pulled out his cell phone and pressed a few buttons before bringing it to his ear. I vaguely heard him start talking to who I assumed was their contact at the bar before I was distracted.

The line to Slidebar was almost to the back of the building so Matt insisted we go one block down and then around so as to not attract too much attention. I was all too happy to agree with that. I didn’t want a frantic encounter before we even entered the bar. I could see it all very clearly in my mind. All it took was one person to recognize us and scream out one of the guys’ names before all hell broke loose.

I had asked earlier if any of the guys’ bodyguard friends would be joining us and they all said they were going to meet us here. Apparently they were already inside.

We eventually reached the backdoor and a heavily tattooed bouncer was standing at the door keeping an eye out for us. “Marco! What’s up man?” Matt said as he shook hands with the bouncer.

“Not much Shads. How ya been?”

“Good. Been good. It crowded in there?”

“We’ve had a line all night since word got out you all were celebrating a birthday here. This must be the birthday girl.” Macro said as he sent a grin in my direction. “Rumor has it the birthday is Zack’s girl’s.” He smirked upon seeing the confused look on my face. I had been wondering why he assumed it was me and not Amanda. Now I was even more confused as to how people knew I was sort of with Zacky. It had only been a few days.

Upon seeing my confused face Zack leaned into my ear since it was hard to hear over the loud music. “All it takes is one fan to see us.”

That made complete sense.

“Hi. I’m Kali.” I said as I shook Marco’s hand after coming to my senses and realizing I had sort of left him hanging.

“Nice to meet you babe.” He replied. He then introduced himself to Amanda but Zack was already ushering me inside.

From experience I knew the bouncers here were nice if you didn’t cause trouble. Slidebar was known to have a more rowdy crowd at times but for the most part people were tame once you got past the tough exteriors everyone had about them.

It was so apparent that everyone here knew what was going on instantly. People started casually coming up to the guys to talk and I was getting more Happy Birthday’s then I could reply to.

Brian and Amanda were laughing at something one of the bouncers said.

I was looking around and noticed each of the guys had gone their own way to talk to some fans. I sat myself on an empty barstool and ordered a cranberry vodka from my favorite bartender Jay. “What’s shakin’ lady?” He questioned as he slid my drink to me. I took a few dollar bills from my pocket and handed them to him but he put his hand up to stop me. “All drinks and tips are on the house tonight.”

“You’re too kind Jay.” I said as I took a sip of my drink. One thing was for sure they liked to mix drinks strong here. I was always joking around that they were trying to kill you by way of alcohol poisoning.

“Anything for the birthday girl.” He winked as he poured a beer for a girl down the way. “So I hear you and Vengeance are sort of a thing?” He casually asked as I quickly finished off my drink and asked for another. If I was going to survive tonight I knew I was going to need lots of alcohol.

“Oh dear lord. Where did you hear that?” I asked wondering if I could find the snitch who started the rumor. We may have been kind of together but it was definitely not official.

“Well whoever booked the venue tonight said it was Vengeance’s girl’s birthday.”

My jaw dropped at this bit of information. “And who called the venue?” I pressed further.

“Someone from your group.” He smirked as I took a drink of my poison for the night.

My eyes narrowed and I grunted when I realized I was not going to get any more information from him. I had been betrayed by one of my own. “Matthew!” I yelled at the burly man who was standing at the end of the bar.

He turned with his drink in hand and grinned at me. Making his way over he took a seat on one of the barstools that was beside me. “Yes my lady?” He asked as he took a drink of his own glass.

“Who called here to tell them we were coming?” I asked him firmly which made Jay laugh.

Matt eyed Jay who simply shrugged as he went back to mixing drinks for other people.

“Why do you ask?”

“Because whoever it was told them I was Zack’s girl.” I pouted as I finished off my second drink and motioned for a third. I was sort of a lightweight so I knew the effects of the alcohol would catch up to me incredibly fast. I usually hit the drinks quick and then stopped for a bit to ride the buzz out and then I would go back for more.

“Well you are aren’t you?” He asked as he threw a heavy arm over my shoulders.

“Not officially no! It was one time!” I objected only for Matt to throw his head back and let out a deep laugh.

“Babe, we’ve all known you two had the hots for each other for a long time. Zack may have been a whiny bitch but it was so obvious he liked you.”

I grumbled under my breath and passed another empty glass to Jay. Maybe I was going to need more alcohol then I thought tonight.

An evil cackle sounded through the bar and caused everyone to stop and look toward the stage. Blurry vision aside it was clearly obvious that Jimmy was up to no good. He had a drink in his hand and was clambering up and over a speaker that was situated on the edge of the stage where the dj booth was.

Tall and lanky Jimmy should have had no problem clearing the row of amps but the amount of alcohol in his system did him no justice. His right foot got caught up somehow and he let out a yell as he tumbled to the ground, drink spilling everywhere. I watched as he got to his feet, giggling like crazy. A new drink was quickly put in his hand by one of the bartenders who attended the floor.

“Move mother fucker.” He laughed as he playfully pushed the dj who I knew was good friends with the guys.

He stepped aside and motioned for Jimmy to have at the music. He set his drink down and stuck his tongue out of the corner of his mouth as he concentrated.

The music took a turn as Jimmy began to mix more metal songs that were up our alley. I instantly noticed a difference in the atmosphere of the bar. People were beginning to get louder and looser. More dancing was beginning to take place.

When I turned around to face the bar I jumped nearly a mile when I saw Amanda bent over with her elbows on the bar in front of me. “Want another drink?” She asked with a smirk.

“What? How?” I sputtered as I noticed she wasn’t only her that had slipped behind the bar but her sober companion had too. Brian however already had bottle in his hand and glasses lined up in front of him.

“Another drink it is!” She laughed as she grabbed a few bottles and mixed me something. I had no idea what it was though. I did know one thing about it though and that was that it was damn good.

“What is this?” I asked my best friend.

“It’s my secret.” She giggled as she mixed a drink for Johnny who had taken up the stool beside me.

“Make me one!” Matt said as he wandered up and slung an arm over my shoulder.

“Whiners don’t get shit.” Brian teased as he lifted a bottle and poured a decent amount of whatever it was down his throat.

“Hey! You’re supposed to be the DD.” I narrowed my eyes at him as he laughed.

“I can handle a bit and sober up.” He informed me as he set the bottle down and patted my head. “Don’t worry babe. Relax, drink, have fun.”

“I want to mix drinks.” A voice slurred behind me before I felt his weight land on me. His arms wrapped around my waist as he stood behind me with his head resting on my shoulder.

“You can’t handle mixing drinks.” Brian teased his friend as he stuck his tongue out at Zack as he made something random for a fan that had approached.

“I can too!”

“I want to dance on the bar. Kaaaaaaali dance with me!” Johnny slurred as he attempted to get up on the bar only to be dragged back down by Matt.

“Hell no! You both are not dancing on the bar!”

By now the commotion we were all causing had drawn us a crowd. Granted the bar was already all focused on us based on the occasion and the fact that there were rock stars in the house tonight anyway.

“But Mattie.” Johnny continued to whine.

“Yeah Matt.” I said as I jutted my bottom lip out.

He looked between myself and Zack, both of whom were pouting for different reasons and mused a sigh. “I’ll make you a deal, if Zack can make certain drinks then you and Johnny stay down. If he fails, then you and Johnny can go up so long as it’s cleared with the bar.”

Zack, Johnny, and my face all lit up with excitement. Zack and Matt must have had faith that he could make drinks while Johnny and I begged to differ. While I believed Zack to be a very capable bartender I had my doubts about him making them when he was drunk.

“Deal.” I said with a drunken nod of my head.

“You’re letting Zack behind the bar?” Jimmy asked through a nearby microphone with a cackle. “Oh shit.” He teased, further grabbing the attention of the bar patrons. Zack went around the bar and gave Jimmy the bird as he passed.

“Hey Jay! You’re the judge.” Matt hollered, getting the attention of my friend. He simply replied with a salute and came over to squeeze between me and Johnny.

“What’ll it be?” Zack asked as he grabbed a glass off the shelf behind him and set it on the bar.

“Mai Tai.” Jay said with a smirk.

Zack thought for a moment before he held his finger up in the air and turned around. He grabbed several bottles and then returned and started mixing. In a few seconds he slid the glass to Jay who took a sip.

“You forgot the light rum.” He said with a chuckle. Johnny reached behind Jay and gave me a high five. This was one point in our favor.

“Damn it!” Zack said as he narrowed his eyes and grabbed another glass. “How many chances do I get?”

“Five.” Matt said.

By now a very nice crowd had accumulated around us. People were really into this bet apparently. I wasn’t sure if it was more so to see Zack mix drinks or to see me and Johnny dancing on the bar.

“Blonde Bimbo.” Jay said to Zack.

“Zack’s type of woman!” Jimmy cackled from the dj area.

“I resent that!” I yelled across to my lanky friend.

“So you admit it!” Brian said with an accusing finger point.

“I did not.”

“You did too!”

“Got one right Vengeance!” Jay said which distracted me from my fight with Brian.

“Damn.” Johnny huffed.

Zack continued to make another good drink after that but the fourth one was a fail.

“It all comes down to this ladies and gentlemen! Either prepare yourself to have Zack bartending along with the lovely Amanda and Brian or get ready for short shit and the birthday girl to take over the bar top!” Jimmy’s voice rang through the bar like he was a sports announcer. It made me laugh because he was so into it.

“Last but not least, an Irish trash can.”

Jay gave Zack a smirk and at the confused look on his face he then turned to me and gave me a wink. Whatever the hell an Irish trash can was, I figured it was super complex. Zack apparently thought so too because his brow furrowed.

“What the fuck is an Irish trash can?”

“If you don’t know then I guess you lose.” Jay smirked making me and Johnny cheer.

Matt didn’t look too pleased though. I have no idea why. It’s not like he was going up on the bar.

“An Irish trash can is blue Curacao, gin, light rum, peach schnapps, triple sec, vodka and red bull.” Jay recited expertly making me look on amazed.

How in the world that drink didn’t kill anyone was beyond me. That had to be one of the more complex drinks I had ever heard of.

“Are you fucking serious?” Zack complained.

“We win!” Johnny yelled loudly to a chorus of cheers from the people in the bar. “Are we good to go Jay?”

The experienced bartender nodded with a laugh and motioned for us to go up. “Help me up Matty boy.” I slurred to Matt who was still all bodyguarding up my space.

Johnny was already up on the bar with no help from anyone. I, however, knew I would need some assistance if I didn’t want to fall flat on my face.

“Jimbo! Something decent please.” He yelled to Jimmy who saluted and went to work finding another song to rotate on.

As Matt was helping me up onto the bar Zack was sulking as he exited behind the long counter. He took a seat in front of me. Amanda patted his shoulder and handed him a drink that he instantly started downing.

The music that floated through the air was what I recognized to be a Skrillex song that I was rather fond of. It fit my mood perfectly at the moment. Regardless of if you liked the genre or not, these songs made perfect club songs to dance to.

I typically wasn’t one to dance but due to my inebriated state I really wasn’t thinking about what I was doing. Any control that I had over my body’s movements was now gone as were Johnny’s. At first we danced separate but it wasn’t long before he reached out and pulled me to him.

Not even thinking about what I was doing or who I was doing it with, I allowed him to guide me to the front of him where we started grinding.

“Shortshit’s getting some! Too bad Zack won’t let it actually happen!” Jimmy hollered which made Johnny give him the finger.

Johnny was a good friend of mine and I was pretty comfortable with him. However, had I been sober I think the only person I would have had the guts to grind with would have been Zack.

Matt was standing in front of the bar the entire time, preventing people from trying to come up and talk to Johnny and me. At first I didn’t understand why but it soon became apparent to me when I tried to lean down and talk to Zack. I almost lost my balance and ended up on the floor behind the bar. That would have not been a good sight and would have ended up with me having something broken most likely.

I broke away from Johnny and ended up walking to the opposite side of the bar, Matt following my every move with his arms folded across his chest. “It’s like having my own personal bodyguard!” I yelled loudly as I bowed my head in thanks to Matt who simply laughed at my drunken outburst.

Upon my almost slipping on a spilt drink Matt reached up and grabbed me around the waist before he hoisted me down. “You’re a hazard up there.” He laughed as I simply nodded, shocked that I had yet again almost fallen.

“I think I had too many drinks for that to last too long.”

“Damn straight. You had your fun. Now go cheer Zack up. He’s still moping.”

“Aye aye captain Mattie!”

I made my way through the throng people and back to where Zack was sitting. “Hello Zachary.” I said softly as I plopped myself down on his lap. I wrapped my arm around his neck to balance myself and he reached one of his arms around my waist to support me further.

“Did you enjoy yourself up there?” He asked me as he plopped his head on my shoulder.

“I did. It would have been better if you were up there with me instead of Johnny though.”

“Hey!” Johnny yelled down at me from where he was fending of Matt who was trying to get him down.

“No offense.” I said as he dismissed me with a very girly wave of his hand before going back to ignoring Matt who was still trying to get him down.

“You make good drinks Zack.” I said as I patted his leg drunkenly. “You’re just drunk already and had a hard time is all.” I explained as if it was nothing, which to me it was.

“They’re going to tease me for ages about this though!” He whined into my neck.

“Well you tease Johnny all the time. You can handle it for a bit.”

“It’s not the same.”

“Yes it is.”

His hands that were holding me steady began to roam my body. I didn’t mind really, it was comforting in my drunken state. “Will you kiss me to make me feel better?”

I leaned up and pecked his cheek, knowing that wasn’t what he meant but he never really specified how.

“I feel cheated.” He pouted further making me laugh so hard I even got Matt’s attention away from Johnny for a moment.

“Is Zacky pouting over his performance issues?” Jimmy hollered over the music.

“What the fuck Jimmy!” Zack responded just as loudly.

Jimmy’s only response was an evil cackle before he turned back to his turntables drunkenly.

By now Zack was red in the face at his friend’s double entendre. While I was pretty sure the sexual meaning held no truth to it, I still found it funny.

“Aw come here Zack.” I said as I leaned up and pulled his face against mine. Usually I’m not quite so forward but I figured the alcohol was to blame, and I didn’t think he would really care.

Zack’s hand slid up my leg as he quickly took charge of what started out as a sympathy kiss. It was quickly turning into something much more than just that.

Not wanting things to get too carried away, I pulled away and grabbed onto his hand. “Come dance with me.” I mumbled against his lips softly.

“Ok.” He mumbled back, in a slight daze.

Jimmy had recently turned on a song that I personally thought was good for dancing. I set my drink down on the bar and hopped off of Zack so he too could stand. When I stood up I swayed slightly. I was known to be very clumsy when I had large amounts of alcohol. Zack must have picked up on this too because he grabbed me around the waist and held me steady so I didn’t topple over onto the floor.

The sudden movement that I made resulted in my stomach not feeling well at all. My face must have reflected this new revelation because Brian looked at me oddly from behind the bar. “Are you alright?” He questioned over the loud music that Jimmy was currently messing with the volume to.

I willed my stomach to calm down and after standing still for a moment I figured it was alright. Or rather, I chose to ignore the sinking feeling that was still taking over.

“Fine.” I said with a pained smile.

Zack was now looking at me oddly, much like Brian was. His hands came up and rested on my face as he looked deeply into my eyes with concern. Another sharp pain in my stomach cascaded through me and I tried to suppress the expression on my face. It was no use though. Zack could read it anyway.

“She’s going to be sick.” He told Amanda who had now joined in along with Matt.

Amanda instantly set down the bottle she had been holding and came around the bar to take hold of my arm gently. “I’ll take care of it.” She said before she ushered me inside the bar and into the back employee area.

She found the employee restroom and ushered me inside. “Why did I have to get sick?” I moaned.

She just chuckled. “You drank way too much.”

“Not to mention I’m a bit of a light weight.” I groaned.

Amanda stayed with me until I was feeling better. I had never really been sick before when I drank, but then again when it was just Amanda and myself we never really did drink much. We were a bit on the tamer side of the party spectrum.

“Better?” She asked.

“Much. I still feel yucky though.” Thankfully Slidebar had a few toothbrushes stashed so I could really clean up. I hated this feeling.

“What time is it?” I asked her as I washed my hands and put on some lotion.

“Almost 2. They’re going to be closing soon so thankfully for you, you get to go home.”

“Thank goodness. I think I’m ready to. I hate feeling so off and it hit so suddenly!”

As we entered the bar again I noticed many people had already cleared out. There was still a good amount left though that were going to officially close the bar down. Jimmy had since abandoned the dj station and Johnny had joined the rest of the guys who were now sitting around finishing off their drinks.

“You ok?” Matt asked as he slung a heavy arm around my shoulder.

“Better. Still not feeling so hot.” I answered with a smile.

“Well you still look hot.” Zack said with a small smile, which made me blush.

“Are you ready to go? Had enough fun for one night?” Brian asked as he grabbed Amanda around the waist.

“I think so. Thank you guys so much for an amazing night.”

They all hugged me and we made our rounds to say goodbye to fans and to the staff who had been especially nice tonight.

“We can all fit in my car so you just have to take the birthday girl home.” I heard Brian tell Amanda. That was a blessing because I didn’t want any of the guys to see the complete craphole I currently lived in.

I was so thankful to be able to move in with Amanda. I felt like things were finally turning around. She knew how miserable I was in my current place and I just couldn’t imagine what I would do without her and her mom.

I hugged all the guys and got kisses from them all on my cheek. Zack was the last one I reached. He wrapped his arms around me and placed a kiss on my forehead instead of my cheek. “You still owe me a dance.” He said softly.

“I know. I’ll pay it back someday soon.”

“You better.”

He pulled away and smiled one last time at me before he opened the passenger side door of Amanda’s car for me. I climbed in and he shut it behind me. I sat there for a moment just thinking about tonight.

I hadn’t had a birthday this amazing in years. My birthday usually went unnoticed so it was especially nice to actually have people in my life that cared about it and were here to celebrate it with me. It meant the world to me and I couldn’t express in words just how grateful I was.

Amanda said goodbye to the guys and climbed into the car beside me. “Ready?” She asked my barely coherent self.

“Yes.”

On the ride home Amanda had informed me that I would be staying at her place tonight because she didn’t trust my drunk self at my own apartment. She said I was bound to break something else and I couldn’t help but agree with her on that.

She continued talking to me about the night but my mind was really focused elsewhere at the moment. I was thinking about Zack and what a nice guy he actually turned out to be tonight. I thought back to when we met and what an ass he had been to me. It took some time to warm up to him but I was slowly doing that and it was a refreshing change from having to be worried about seeing him for fear of him being a jerk to me. I truly felt bad for him and what he had gone through.

While I liked to believe he was free and clear of the drama though, I had a drunk, nagging feeling the worst had yet to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well that took forever. I had massive writer's block guys! I swear i had almost the entire chapter done and then I got stuck at the end. That totally sucked! And that's also why the very end is probably crappy. Oh well!
Aside from that my absence can be explained. I graduated from college a week ago!!! WOOHOO!!!! While it's exciting it's also super scary though. I can't find a job. I swear I've sent out like 30 applications and can't find anything! It sucks so bad. But thankfully I have writing to keep my mind off of things while I wait to hear back. Here's to hoping I get a job soon!!!

Thank you all for staying with me. I hope this chap was alright! I'm thinking of ending this story somewhat soon so I can start my new Brian one that I've been working on =)

Thanks to all my commenters on the last chapter! Love you all!!!

Miss.CorrCorr
Fictional.Reality
dofyorkpub
avenging angel
nessajc
hotfish13
zackyvravageme
Je te plumerai
choirgirlx3
Just.Listen
xxGee
Fallin_For_You
frankiepain
TylorJade

<3