His Reflection Speaks To You

Part III

December 22, 1877

Today


I sat on the bed with my knees tucked under my chin and my arms wrapped tightly around my legs. The room was intentionally kept dark, leaving me to strain my eyes just to be able to make out the shape of the furniture. It was daytime, but the violet drapes were drawn shut. Anyone who cared to enter immediately complained about the odour lingering in the air. It was my own. I can’t recall the last time I bathed, or even stayed in the bathroom longer than needed for the fear of accidentally looking into what I dreaded most. A mirror.

Scattered everywhere were photographs. Photographs I had taken every single day, for eight long months. These meant the world to me, but the most precious of the lot were in front of me, neatly kept in the photo album I couldn’t take my eyes off. They were of Matthew and I.

Molly… I froze. It had been four months since I last heard that voice.

No, stop it, Molly. It is only in your head. I shook my head, I was just hallucinating it, that’s all.

Please, Molly. I ignored it. I told myself to stop being so childish, that the mirrors were covered, but deep inside I knew what it was. Before I could continue the lecture I was giving myself, the temperature suddenly dropped and the old sheets that covered the mirrors littering the walls moved gently by a breeze I did not feel. A shiver ran up my spine. The sheets moved once again, and once again I did not feel a breeze responsible for the action. My heart was pounding against my rib cage as they rustled a third time. It was not the mysterious action that terrified me, but the thought of finally being exposed to the mirrors.

Do you no longer miss me? His voice was soft and sad but it echoed through the room, earning a scream from me. The sheets ripped off the mirrors and fell to the floor. At this point my body was too numb to move so I just sat there with my eyes shut tight; screaming, crying and struggling to breath and control my trembling body.

Mo- “NO!” I opened my eyes and saw his pale face. With the feeling returning in my feet I leapt of the bed and turned to run towards the door, then stopped dead in my track. He was everywhere.

“I-I ca-can’t,” I fell to the floor and curled up in a ball. “Go a-away.”

I need you, Mol.

Come to me.

I love you.

I want us to be together.

Please talk to me.


Each mirror held a Matthew that said something different. He wouldn’t leave, the voices wouldn’t stop. I clutched my head and screamed. “Go away!”

But he didn’t. I was trapped in the midst of my worst fear. I was surrounded by mirrors. I was d-

"Molly!" Mother barged in, breathing heavily. Her frantic eyes landed on me. "What on Earth's the matter?"

I lifted my head. The old sheets still hung over the mirrors, untouched. Everything seem to be in place... except for me.

"H-he..." I started pointing at every mirror I could, spinning around and stumbling like a lunatic. "He was here!" I sobbed.

"There, there." She walked over and held me in her arms. "I worry for you, dear."

As do I, Molly... He whispered. As do I...
♠ ♠ ♠
It seems a little rushed, yes?
And there are probably errors here and there.

I don't know what to think of it. :/