Sequel: Back 2 Good
Status: Finished! Look for the sequel soon! :)

Mutiny Below

Blankets

Jayce

I sat on the couch with my feet on the coffee table. The television was on but I wasn’t paying it any attention. The apartment was empty and I was driving myself crazy with boredom.

The boys were busy with band practice and Gemma was MIA. It was times like these that I thought about getting a job. Then I remembered what working was like and wondered how desperate I was for human contact.

I sighed and tried watching the reality show on the screen. Luckily, I didn’t have to try for very long. The front door opened and, expecting it to be my boyfriend, I scrambled over the back of the couch. Of course I fell.

“Uh, good afternoon, Jayce.” I craned my neck and raised my eyes to find not my boyfriend, but his best friend that lived across the complex. Eric Halvorsen. “What are you doing on the floor?” He asked me oddly and I noticed his eyes dart around the room.

“I thought you were John.” I mumbled as he helped me up. Then I placed my hands on my hips and eyed him suspiciously. “What are you doing in my house?”

“Technically, it’s an apartment.” He grinned and I rolled my eyes. “And Johno said I could borrow some blankets. Apparently you have like forty.”

“So I like to have blankets to throw on the ground and cuddle up in front of the television. Is that really so bad?” I followed Eric down the hall and to the linen closet.

“Not really.” He shrugged and started to pull comforters out.

“What do you need extra blankets for anyway?” I arched my eyebrows as he grabbed a blanket that caught my attention. “You can’t take that one.” I blurted and then blushed.

“Why?” Eric looked at the fabric confused.

“It holds special memories.” I snatched the blanket and hugged it to my chest. Eric stared at me baffled for a minute before his face took on a look of disgust.

“I don’t even want to know what you and John did on that.” He pretended to gag and I rolled my eyes again.

“We didn’t have sex on it, dork. It was a gift from my grandmother.” I squeezed the blanket and rubbed a piece of it against my cheek. Eric made an ‘o’ with his mouth and continued to raid the closet. “So, why do you need blankets?” I inquired as he closed the door with his foot. His arms were full of at least five blankets.

“I’ve got guests coming. John didn’t tell you?” I shook my head and buried my face in the soft fabric. It wasn’t surprising that John had forgotten to mention guests. Sometimes his memory was worse than an elderly person. “Well, Nick’s coming for two months, you know, until we leave for Warped Tour and all. Oh, and he’s bringing his sister. Jayce? Are you okay? You look really pale.” I slipped into a haze that took over after he mentioned the fake redhead. Course all of the color had drained from my face.

Nick being in Arizona was not a good idea. The last time I had seen him, I’d been drunk and vulnerable and I’d had a lapse in judgment. Nick left the next day and John had apologized for the fight we’d had. No one knew what happened that night and things went back to normal. I thought I’d never have to see Nick again anyway.

“Jayce!” Eric yelled in my face.

“What?” I responded startled. He looked worried and I noticed the blankets on the ground. “Can you try not to make a mess in my house?” I joked and then forced a smirk as I bent over.

“Jesus, you scared me.” Eric sighed and took the blankets from me.

“Eh, I just need some rest.” I smiled and hoped he bought it.

“Right, because Johno keeps you up all night?” He wiggled his eyebrows suggestively and I laughed.

“Why is your mind always in the gutter?”

“Hey, I’m a lonely bachelor. Give me a break, will ya?”

“You’re such a nerd, Halvo.” I shoved him toward the front door.

“You’re such a whore, Jayce.” He teased back and I swallowed hard. “I’ll see you around super time?”

“Sure. I’ll put out an extra plate.” I ran a hand through my hair and bit my bottom lip.

“Before I leave, can I ask you to accompany me to the airport?” He pouted in the doorway as I wrapped my hand around the door knob.

“No.” I answered bluntly. The less time I spent around Nick, the better.

“Come on, Jay! You’re going to make me drive two hours by myself?” He whined and batted his eyelashes like a girl.

“Ask someone else to go. I’m busy.” I lied.

“Busy doing what?” And he called me on it.

“Planning a welcome party, of course.”

“Of course.” Eric rolled his eyes and left.

I closed the door and went to the kitchen. I pulled out a few things for dinner, but then stopped in front of the sink. I braced myself against the counter and closed my eyes.

Best case scenario, Nick doesn’t remember.
Worst case scenario, John finds out.

I squeezed my eyes shut. These two months were going to be hell either way.
♠ ♠ ♠
here's something new : ) because I love Nicholas Santino.
leave comments and love pretty please; now I'll turn things over to Marissa.
xooxEmber