Status: Updates every other week :)

A Twist in My Story

Chapter 28: Kevin

Image

Kevin groaned and rubbed his eyes with two fingers. It was late and he’d just sat through a four hour meeting with the CEOs. Profits were lower than they expected and the cost of sending Brittany Nicole on a promotional tour across the USA did not sit well with them. They insisted that their money would be better spent on an already well-known artist than a fledgling. Only because of his fancy footwork and fast talking had Kevin been able to persuade them to take the chance. After the meeting Mr. Rich had confided in Kevin that Brittany Nicole’s tour was never in jeopardy; the CEOs just wanted to test Kevin’s managerial ability. He did not need that interruption. He had a hundred things to do before he met Brittany Nicole tomorrow afternoon to fly to California and begin the tour. And one of the most prevalent things was the annoyance and sadness that Dani hadn’t called him back yet. It had been almost 5 days and not a single word. Images of her laughing and cavorting with her old flame ignited his anger every time he thought of her. His hands clenched into fists around his phone.

“Still here, Kevin?” Mr. Rich asked in the doorway. He had his jacket draped on his arm and briefcase in hand, all ready to go home himself.

“Just grabbing some papers I’ll need for the tour. I’m heading out the door in a few minutes,” he responded lightly, shuffling papers around as he pushed thoughts of Danielle to the back of his mind.

“Good. We’ll be keeping in touch with you throughout the tour. Two weeks will fly by before you know it and you’ll be back home with your wife before you can miss her,” Mr. Rich said. “Safe trip. Goodnight.”

“G’Night,” Kevin responded to his boss’ retreating back. Missing Dani seemed like a constant affliction for the past month. He wasn’t sure he could miss her more than he already did. So he did what he usually did when the pain of missing her got to be too much…he grabbed the tour itineraries and some blank sheet music to write more songs, shoved it into his briefcase and left.

He walked in his house a little after 8pm, staying only long enough to put down his briefcase and pick up Riley and her things. Then he got back in his car and drove to his parents’ house.

“Kevin! I started to think you’d decided to bring her by tomorrow instead,” Denise opened the door with a smile.

“I need some sleep tonight. All she does is whine all night,” Kevin released Riley, who strained to get out of his arms.

“No, she’s an angel,” Denise cooed to the little dog as she licked her hand. “Dani misses her.”

Kevin stopped in mid-eye roll. “She misses…the dog? What about me? Does she miss her husband at all or has she replaced me already?” His anger got the best of him.

“Kevin! Shame on you! Of course she hasn’t replaced you. Why would you-” she scolded him.

“At least she talks to you! She’s only called me once in all this time and Dad interrupted us. Why should I think she even loves me anymore?”

“Of course she still loves you!”

“What’s all the shouting about?” Kevin Sr. emerged from his study. “Ah, Kevin, just who I wanted to see.”

Kevin reluctantly turned his eyes away from his mother. “Hi Dad.”

“I was looking over your tour agenda today and I realized you could make some cost-effective tweaks,” he showed Kevin a paper with graphs and numbers.

“Why were you looking at my work details? They have nothing to do with your job – Joe’s job,” Kevin said, feeling his frustration level rise.

“I thought you’d like a checker. Anyway, if you switch the Illinois show to Springfield you’d be able to fit more people in the stadium, sell more tickets, and not have to pay for that second venue. See it all makes sense.”

“No, I scheduled it precisely the way I wanted it, in Peoria, because its more central thus more people from the surrounding states can come too. And since the official concert venue is too small, we have Brittany Nicole also performing at the local mall. This tour is all about getting her name and music out there; the money will come later,” Kevin explained as patiently as he could manage. “Stop trying to do my job for me.”

“I’m only giving you my advice-”

“I’ve been doing this longer than you, so I think I know my business.”

“Kevin-” Denise cut in as mediator.

“I’ve got to go. Thanks for watching Riley. I’ll get her…later,” Kevin backed out the door. His annoyance with his father had hit a new level and he knew he had to get away before he said something he’d later regret.

*~*~*~*~

In the week since her leveling dinner date with Spencer, things had returned to semi-normal between them. She no longer avoided him at the Henderson’s beach house construction site, but she also didn’t openly seek him out either. They’d exchanged their life stories and she relaxed more around him, but when he brought up Ian she’d visibly and mentally tensed up. Her hand usually subconsciously went to her belly as her self-doubts arose. How could she possibly be a good mother when she couldn’t even be a good wife? Spencer made parenting look like a walk in the park. Would she ever be that good at it too or would she royally screw her child up irreparably? It seemed it could go either way at this point.

“Love the calming blue, but I think that spot has enough paint. Five coats should be enough,” Spencer teased, coming up beside her.

“What…Oh, shoot!” Danielle jerked out of her thoughts, accidentally dropping the paintbrush on the covered floor. Being discovered idle had unnerved her more than it should’ve and it showed in her flustering.

“Elle, calm down. I was just taking a break and thought – Whoa,” he caught her waist as she staggered from bending to pick up the brush. Her hand braced her weight on the newly painted wall. “Here, take a seat,” he led her to the living room couch.

“Sorry. Just got dizzy all of a sudden,” she rubbed her throbbing head, waiting for everything to stop moving.

“You shouldn’t be painting in your condition. The fumes aren’t good for you or the baby,” he chastised, wetting his handkerchief with bottled water and blotting her face with the damp material.

“Katie did most of the painting. I was just doing touch-ups…which now need to be repainted,” she sighed defeated. “What am I doing?”

“That’s what I’m wondering. Are you sleeping?” he examined her bloodshot eyes.

She looked away embarrassed. “Most nights I can get five hours. Lately I’ve had some nightmares keeping me awake…”

“You need sleep,” he said as if it was that easy.

“Yes I know that, Mr. Obvious, but if you had my nightmares you wouldn’t sleep well either – sorry,” she slumped into her hands on the verge of tears. Her hormones were so out of whack that sometimes it felt like she had no control over herself.

“Don’t apologize. You’re going through a lot. I understand,” Spencer rubbed her back lightly. “What are the nightmares about?”

She hesitated then shook her head. “Just drop it, Spence,” her voice hitched.

Spencer covered her hands with his, offering compassion. “We all get scared and nervous when our lives are about to be changed forever in a big way, such as a baby.”

Danielle flipped her eyes to meet his. “How’d you…”

“All new parents feel the same. After Emma left and it was just me and Ian, I was petrified. What if I gave him too much medicine when he was sick or not enough? What if I missed a sign and something happened to him? But then I realized I wasn’t alone at all. I had my parents and tons of friends ready and willing to help out however I needed them,” he explained sagely. “What I’m saying is, even if Kevin doesn’t realize his mistake, you won’t raise your baby alone and you’ll be a fabulous mom to him or her.”

A wave of emotions washed over her. She dashed the moisture from her eyes. She was speechless. He knew exactly what she was feeling. On its own volition her paint covered hand rose and touched his cheek. “Thank you,” she whispered, accepting his hug.

He nodded his acceptance. “I think it’s time you got some kid experience. Ian is dying to meet Daddy’s friend,” he smiled using his handkerchief to capture a few runaway tears. He’d felt Danielle tense at his suggestion. “What do you say? He’s a great kid. Really. And I’m not saying that because I’m biased.”

Danielle laughed at his shifty eyes. She loved how he could make her laugh whenever. It felt good to laugh. “Yes, sure. I’d love to really meet Ian.”

“Great! Well let’s eat and discuss the details,” he stood and pulled her with him, making sure she was steady. “How’s your Veggie Tales knowledge?”

“Veggie Tales?” she frowned.

“Don’t worry. I’ll give you a crash course. You’ll know more about Bob and Larry than you ever wanted to,” he promised.

“Um…okay…” she responded dubiously, following him out of the house, her hand in his. “But first there’s something you should do.”

“What’s that?”

“Wash your cheek. You’ve got a blue handprint on it,” she laughed warmly.

He took the opportunity and tickled her briefly. “It’s all your fault, missy. You should clean it up.”

“There’s the ocean. I’ll give you a shove,” she smiled.

“You’re too funny,” he rolled his eyes. “Let’s eat.”

*~*~*~*~

The flight out to California left early Thursday morning. Kevin met Brittany Nicole at the airport, assumed responsibility for the minor until her mother could join them on the tour in four days, and boarded the plane. It was a company jet so it was a private flight, which thankfully meant no extended wait periods. Once on the plane, Brittany Nicole turned on her iPod and listened to her music. Kevin took the seat across from her and pulled out his computer to check his emails. He logged onto his Facebook and Twitter accounts to check up on family, hoping that perhaps Joe updated on his whereabouts (though he had yet to).

Out of curiosity he decided to check his sister-in-law Katie’s page since Dani hadn’t updated hers since she left him. To his astonishment he saw a new picture…and it didn’t please him at all. It was set at the beach and in it Danielle was smiling at the camera next to a man in his early twenties. Katie had labeled it ‘Old friends reunite and have fun in the sun’. Kevin’s anger boiled hot. How could she act so nonchalant about their separation? It was killing him and she was out with another guy! Was this that Spencer character his mom had mentioned? If it was Kevin knew he had some competition. But he was Dani’s husband! She shouldn’t be looking at any man but him! Grunting in frustration he slammed his computer shut.

“Something wrong?” Brittany Nicole asked, glancing over at him.

“Just my life,” he muttered with his eyes closed not really paying attention to her.

“Ah, sounds like woman trouble then,” she nodded.

Kevin tilted his head toward her. “What would you know about that?”

“I might be young, but I’m still a girl and we pick up on these things. Need to vent? I’m a great listener.”

“Britt, you’re 16. Trust me, you do not have much experience with what I’m dealing with.”

“Try me.”

Kevin hesitated for a second then gave in. He needed to tell someone. “My wife walked out on me after telling me she was pregnant a month ago and I haven’t talked to her since. She’s living with her parents and has met another guy – an old flame, I’m told. What say you about that?”

Brittany Nicole thought about it for a few minutes. She was silent so long that Kevin thought he’d made her speechless with his pathetic life. “Have you tried talking it out with her?”

“Of course. I want her to come home. She belongs at home with me.”

“Why’d she leave again?”

“I don’t know. She told me she was pregnant then in the morning she was gone.”

“So I guess you didn’t respond well to the news then,” she deduced.

“Well it was a bit of a shock, yeah, but I never said anything to upset her,” Kevin said positively.

“What did you say?” Kevin was silent. “Did you say anything?”

“Well I was in shock,” he defended himself.

“Oh man, not the reaction a woman wants. Have you told her your feelings about the baby?”

“How can I when she won’t talk to me?”

“You go to her.”

“I can’t go to her. I’ve got work to do and other stuff to manage. She just needs to come home,” Kevin said.

“And that’s why she won’t. Stop being so stubborn and go get your wife back. I mean, how hard is it to drive to wherever she is, tell her you love her and the baby and miss them so much you need them home? Doesn’t sound too hard to me?” Brittany Nicole said logically.

“You know what, it’s much harder than you make it sound. Just go back to listening to your music. We’ll be landing in about two hours,” he said affronted. In his mind though, he didn’t want to admit that even a 16 year old knew how to fix his shambled marriage.
♠ ♠ ♠
First of all, I'm am so so so sorry that this has taken very, VERY long to get out to you all. I hope we still have some readers who didn't give up on us completely. Nat and I decided to take a "short" (which accidentally turned into over half a year) break to get some chapters stocked in our arsenal. We planned this so that you would have more regular updates. So GOOD NEWS!! We do have some ready to go and we are working on even more! :)

So onto this chapter....What do you think about Danielle and Spencer? Is it just a rebudding of a friendship or more?? Hmmm... He seems to care about her an awful lot for just reconnecting with her. Just saying. haha! And Kev, Kev, Kev. What are we going to do with him? Can't you just feel the tension and frustration falling off him in waves? Do you think his dad is pushing him too hard? Its kinda like he's getting hit from all sides with his dad telling him one thing and his mom the other and then he's got his conscious adding its' two cents as well. haha! Now he's opened up a little to his 16 year old charge! Do you think that was a wise move?

Lots of questions for you to answer and ponder. Please please PLEASE, if you are still out there and interested in our story, comment! Your comments keep us going whether it's obvious or not. Thank you to Nanook for waking us up to the reality of passing time ;) This chapter's for you, girl!

Please Comment! <3

Joe's coming up next. Where in Europe is he now??? Hehe!