Australia - Joe Gets the Girl

Two

Kevin’s POV

I slid my sunglasses down my nose and peered over the top of them at the large house in front of me. It was two storey and full brick; two different shades of brown stacked from the gravel path way to the roof; a black tile. The windows were open on both floors; the light breeze causing the white curtains to blow inwards. The large wrap around porch had a vine wrapped around the railings and steps had a few fallen leaves scattered across them. The truck sitting in front of the house made me hope that someone was home. Sam’s jeep was nowhere to be seen. I tossed my sunglasses down onto the dash board of my car and with a deep breath; I opened the door and stepped out.

Shutting my car door, I approached the house. I made my way slowly up the few steps, careful not to make too much noise. When I reached the door, I looked through the glass pane, in an attempt to see anyone inside the house. When I found the living area empty, I rapped my knuckles against the door loudly. The house didn’t stir. I frowned and knocked again; louder this time.

I peered through the glass again and caught sight of someone approaching the door. I took a step backwards and waited. A young man walked towards me. He looked to be around my age. He pushed open the screen door revealing himself completely.

“Can I help you?” he asked me.

His hair was long; like Joe’s was before Sam arrived and black and messy. He had stubble on his chin and jaw line. His flannelette shirt was tucked in loosely into dark blue jeans. I raised my eyes from his legs back up to his face. He cocked an eyebrow at me.

“You look familiar,” he told me gruffly.

“Um, hi,” a strong start there Kevin. Nice. “My names Kevin. I’m here to see Sam.”

“Kevin who?” he tilted his head and crossed his arms.

“Jonas,” I replied. “Kevin Jonas. I’m Nick’s oldest brother.”

“God, you’re not in love with her too, are you?” he questioned abruptly.

I shook my head quickly in response.

“Oh no, definitely not,” I assured him. “I’m well and truly spoken for. Well, sort of. That’s kind of what I’m here to talk to Sam about.”

“Well, she ain't here,” he half shrugged. “But you can wait in the living room for her if you like.”

“Yeah, I’d appreciate that, thanks,” I smiled.

He stepped aside and let me pass. I walked inside and followed him as he lead the way to the living room.

“I’m Chris by the way,” he informed me. “I don’t suppose Sam ever mentioned me.”

“Yes, she did,” I nodded as I sat down on the couch. “A few times actually.”

“Oh really?” he looked kind of shocked. “That’s sweet, ain’t it?”

“So, how is everything here?” I looked to Chris hopefully.

“How do you mean?” he tilted his head again; perching himself on the arm of the couch furthest from me.

“I mean, how are things here with Sam?” I clarified. “I, well I guess we, haven’t seen her in three months.”

“She’s doing well,” he half smiled. “Considering.”

“Considering?”

“What happened back out your way,” Chris continued. “Between her and Joe, and her and Nick for that matter.”

“Oh,” I nodded. “Things haven’t exactly been the best back home either.”

“I can imagine,” he said; sliding down onto the couch and facing me. “Sam was a right mess when she got here. I don’t know how she managed to drive all this way with how hard she was crying.”

I stayed quiet.

“Never have I ever seen anyone cry that hard before, ever,” he continued; twisting his hands together in his lap. “It was awkward as hell too. I mean heck. Sorry.”

“No no, continue,” I smiled softly.

“She honest to god wouldn’t talk for about 4 days,” he sighed. “It was as if the crying of the first few took everything out of her. Then she just wouldn’t speak.”

“At all?”

“Not one word,” Chris shook his head. “I literally had to shake her. I mean, grab her by the shoulders and shake her to even get her to look me in the eye. It was like she was....”

“Lost?” I offered.

“Yeah,” he looked up to my face. “How’d you know?”

“Nick and Joe have been the same,” I confessed. “Well, actually more Nick then Joe. Some of the songs he’s been writing lately.” I shook my head slowly. “They aren’t exactly, the usual songs Nick writes. They’re darker. I’m worried about him.”

“Quite right too,” Chris agreed. “Nick’s a good kid. He was nothing but a nice guy when he was here for that week. Up until the last day anyway.”

“Yeah,” I sighed. “He filled us in on the exploits; every little thing.”

I frowned as Chris and I fell silent.

“Can I ask something?” he asked me.

“What is it?”

“Um, I never did get it out of Sam,” he studied his hands again. “What made her leave?”

“Truth be told, I don’t know,” I shrugged and smiled sadly. “I just hope she can fight whatever it was to come back with me.”

“Can I ask one more thing? Another one Sam wouldn’t tell me.”

I nodded in reply.

“Which brother of yours did she, you know, sleep with?” he asked; his voice low. “Because I asked her, when she stayed here for the week if Nick had pushed her into anything. And she said it was too late for that conversation.”

“It was Joe,” I answered. “It caused quite a bit of drama actually. He regretted it at first. Then things got weird. Then she left for a bit, came back. Things were alright again for a while. Then she went home to Australia for Christmas. Nick found your dad for her for Christmas. She came out here with Nick. All that stuff happened. She came home, slept with Joe. Nick disappeared. When they found him she confessed being in love with Nick. Then just like that, she vanished.”

“And since that day she hasn’t mentioned any of you,” Chris told me. “When my dad asked her why she came, she said she just wanted a break. She later told me that she had had a fight with nick and Joe and wanted to escape. I didn’t really push it. When we would talk about it. She’d just refer to Nick or Joe as he.”

“Oh,” I sighed.

“Yeah,” Christ sighed in response.

“Chris! We’re home!” I heard her voice. Sam’s voice ring through the house.

I stood up slowly; facing the entrance to the living area. Chris approached Sam’s voice but she beat him to the door way.

“Kevin?” she all but whispered. “What are you doing here?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Alright. as with the first chapter, its the same as Nick Gets The Girl.
But everything changes from here. i promise.
:)
im sorry its taken FOREVER to update.
comments?