Status: Completed

We've Got a Big Mess On Our Hands

Chapter 3

GABE’S POV

1 YEAR LATER
The record company wants to introduce us to a band that we’re supposedly going to record with. Or, rather, the lead singer is going to come in to sing a part of Snakes on a Plane for us. I don’t understand why we need another singer, but apparently, he’s part of a “fresh new band” that’ll help us gain more fans… The fact that it’s another Decaydance band helps with the legal issues, but I just don’t know how well I’m going to work with another singer. If he’s a cool guy, then I’ll be fine. But I’ve met some divas in my time and I don’t think I’ll be able to handle another one of those.

“Gabe?” Alex, our bassist, said, peeking out from the conference room.

“Yeah?” I asked, snapping out of it and realizing I was still standing in the hall outside the room where I was supposed to be.

“We’re ready when you are.” he said.

“Oh, yeah.” I said, following him into the room behind him.

Pete was sitting at the end of a long, supposedly imposing table, looking at us and smiling. He was a cool guy, for a boss. Really nice, wiling to get me what I wanted and he let the bands do what they wanted. I think it’s ‘cause he knows what it’s like to be influenced one way or another by a record company…

“Gabe, nice to see you again.” he said.

“Same to you.”

“I know you’re not to happy about this, but I think you’ll really like this guy. He’s got a great voice, very distinctive.”

“We’ll see.” I said, still not pleased.

The rest of the band sighed and I took a seat next to Alex. We’re a pretty tight knit group, like a family. I tell them everything… almost everything. Only Vicky knows about my…ahem… gay experience.

“Do you want to hear what they sound like?” Pete asked.

No, no I don’t want to hear the voice of the guy I’m gonna be working with for weeks, maybe months. “Yeah, sure.” As you can tell, I’m not in the best mood. Today is just not a good day.

“All right then. Here we go.” Pete said, pressing a button on the laptop in front of him.

Don’t be so scared,
we will not lead you on like we’ve been doing for weeks.
So you’re selfish, and I’m sorry.
When I’m gone you’ll be going nowhere fast.


Pete was right: whoever this was really had a good voice. It wouldn’t be too bad to work with him…if he’s not a diva, that is. Some of the other bands…Well, we won’t get into that. Let’s just say some guys’ closest relationship is with their hair straightener and mirror.

“So?” Pete asked, looking at me expectantly.

“He’s good. Who is it?” I asked.

“They’re relatively new. We just signed them last year.” Pete said. “Their name is The Academy Is…”

Why did that sound familiar?

“But the person you’ll be working with, Gabe, is their lead singer. William Beckett.”

I think I stopped breathing. I stared at Pete with my mouth hanging wide open in shock.

“What’s wrong?” he said.

“E-excuse me.” I stuttered, getting up and heading outside.

I leaned up against the wall and sank down to the ground. There has to be about a million William Beckett’s in the world… I don’t know anything about him; I don’t remember, I was too drunk. But that name… The Academy Is… It sounded too familiar for it to be a coincidence.

The door opened slightly and Vicky eased through the small gap.

“Hey, honey. What’s wrong?” she said, leaning down to my level.

“Nothing.” I mumbled, tucking my chin into my knees.

“It doesn’t seem like nothing.” she said.

“Okay, fine.” I sighed. “Remember that guy that I…. from the party?”

“The one you can’t get out of your mind, yet you still remained convinced you’re straight?” she said.

“Yeah. That one.” I said. “His name was William Beckett. And I was really drunk, so I don’t remember much, but I have this weird sense of déjà vu when I heard the band’s name.”

“Well, there’s a chance it isn’t him.” she said, rubbing my back comfortingly. “And if it is, then you could both benefit from it. You’re still stuck on him, even if you won’t admit it, and if he remembers you, there’s a possibility he could still like you.”

“Vicky, I’m not gay.” I said, for the millionth time.

“Yet you obsess over another guy after you slept with him. Yeah, you’re totally straight.” she said. “Look, you know we’ll all accept you. We’re your best friends and none of the guys have ever been weird around gays. I mean, you know Jack and Alex act like gay lovers all the time and none of the guys have ever said anything bad about it.”

“You know, sometimes I wonder about those two…” I said.

“Don’t change the subject.” she said. God, she sounds like a mother. “Can’t you at least accept that you like this guy? Not all guys, necessarily, but that you are attracted to this guy, for whatever reason.”

I glared at her, wondering why she was so intent on me deciding I wasn’t entirely straight.

“I’m only doing this ‘cause I want to help you. I don’t want you in denial and miserable all your life, especially since this guy is coming and working with us for a while. Please at least get your shit straightened out before he gets here.”

“Fine.” I sighed. “I admit it. But that doesn’t make me gay.”

“Of course it doesn’t.” she sighed. “But it does make you bi.”

I turned and glared at her yet again. She laughed and held up her hands. “I’m just trying to help you out.”

Maybe I am bi. I have thought of guys as attractive before and I’ve never had a problem with gay guys. It’s not like I find girls disgusting or anything, but I guess that’s why I’m bi… Although, come to think of it… It’s not as if I’ve ever obsessed over a girl like I have over William. And girls always wanted stuff, like flowers and foot rubs and stuff like that. From what I could tell from the short time I knew him and from what I could remember, William was certainly not as needy as a girl.

What if I’m not bi, I’m gay? I’m sure it wouldn’t be a huge surprise to anyone… I’ve been made fun of a lot and I’m sure no one in the band would mind.

“Vicky, what if I’m gay?” I asked, out of the blue.

“Well, then we accept you as gay, not just bi.” she said.

“I think I’m gonna tell the guys today. They deserve to know. We’re like family.”

“Yeah, and it’d suck if they found out because they find you pushing William up against a wall and-”

“Thanks for that visual, but I think I’ll tell them, so we won’t have to worry about that.” I said, cutting off her fangirling. She has a weird thing for gay guys, thinks they’re ridiculously cute or something along those lines…

“Wanna head back in, give Pete the okay then head back to the house and tell the guys?” Vicky said.

“That sounds good.”

<~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~>

“Hey, Gabe, you okay man? You looked kind of upset back there.”

We were back at the house and all of the guys started heading off to other parts of the house.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I said. “Can you guys wait up a second? I have something to tell you.”

They all mumbled sure and followed me into the living room. I sat down in the armchair and they sat facing me on the couch. They all knew something big was coming. We know each other too well to not realize when one of us is upset about something. I guess that’s what you get when you spend months at a time on a bus with the same group of people.

“Vicky already knows most of this, but I thought you guys deserve to know as well.” I sighed. “About a year ago, I went home with someone at a party. His name was William Beckett. It was a drunken mistake, but ever since then, I can’t seem to get him out of my head. I know that I at least am bi, possibly full-out gay.”

I was looking down at my lap, unable to look them in the eyes for fear of finding something other than acceptance. All of a sudden, I was wrapped into a huge, tight hug by several arms.

“Gabey, you know we’ll love you no matter what.” a voice from somewhere to the left of me said. I couldn’t see who it was through the arms, but I think it was Nate.

“Yeah, man. We love you for all you are, ya little cocksucker.” That was Alex. Wonderful.

“Wow, thanks guys. I was really nervous for some reason.” I said, detangling myself from the jumbled mess of arms. “Thanks for this, guys. You’re the best friends a guy could ask for.”

“No problem, man. Now who wants to dial up the male strippers for our new resident fruitcake?”

Oh dear… I’m hoping he’s joking.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! This one's longer! Well, the story is finally starting to happen... this might be turning into a regular story, not a short story....

Would you guys stick with me through a full length story?

Comment/Subscribe to show what you'd like!