Status: NEW

Zero Lies

Strike Out

“I say whatever on impulse with no control whatsoever.” I smiled and saw confused looks on some of my classmates. “Stupid people, I say things without thinking them out.” And I swear, the looks changed from confused to angry in most of their faces. My teacher’s jaw dropped. “Seriously? What? It’s freedom of speech and freedom of my body. It’s not a disorder, it’s a complication. Live with it, people.”

“Miss Ashton, please sit down.” My teacher rubbed the temples on her forehead. I snickered.

“180 days with me, Mrs. Livington. It’s going to be one heck of a roller-coaster ride.” I sat next to a girl with glasses and once I saw her, I said, “You don’t match with glasses.” Her eyes went wide and her cheeks turned red.

“You’re just using that as an excuse. Stop bullshitting,” the guy behind my desk glared at me.

“Yeah and you’re trying to prove your point by what? You’re just a sophomore, kid.” I said and I sat down. The teacher told both of us to be quiet but the kid kept pestering on.

“Stop using that whole ‘I’m older than you’ card on me because it won’t work.” He replied.

I turned around, “Stop trying to be a smart ass. You’re irritating.”

“Miss Ashton and,” Mrs. Livington looked at her roster. “Mr. Jackson please stop quarreling and pay attention.”

“If this guy wasn’t thinking that he’s such a hot shot for being in AP English and the only sophomore in this class, he wouldn’t be acting with such a huge ego and try to say I’m bullshitting with my condition,” I turned around again to face him. “Jackson’s your last name, huh? That’s funny. Now, can you just stop and act your age? Shouldn't your age group be very afraid to back-talk to upper-classmen.”

“Geneva,” Rico called my attention and I gave it to him. “Give the under-classmen some air, man. He’s new to you and so are some of the people in this class. All of us in here who had you before knew about your complication. So, leave the kid alone.” I looked at the boy, whose facing me with a less intense glare. “I win,” I smiled and faced the front.

“Now that I have your attention,” the teacher sighed. “Welcome to AP English!”

“You mean, welcome to hell, right?”

“Miss Ashton, I do not like side comments in my class,” she looked at me.

“Well, news flash, Mrs. Livington… I can’t stop myself from saying things with no hesitation. I will say whatever I say without thinking. Sorry to destroy your sanity for 180 days. You just met your mad genius.” I proudly said the last statement. Some laughed and by some, I meant the old classmates who know me already.

“Well, Miss Ashton, your side comments may give you a one way ticket to the principal’s office.”

“You may as well send me to the office, but the Principal already knows my condition. You probably may want to visit her instead of me visiting her,” I argued back. Her face was turning red at this point. “I win again.”

“How was your class?” Yuri asked as we were sitting on the steps of the stairs.
“Greaaaaaat,” I said with sarcasm. “You already know how it turned out.”

“I just wanted to ask and see how’d you respond,” she said. We watched students walking to and fro the hallways. It was break time and we had fifteen minutes to get some of our sanity back. One hundred minutes of classes can really fry your brain. Well, it depends on your classes. If you have those easy A classes, then you’re safe, but if you have those Honors or AP classes – you’re probably screwed.

“Yeah, how’d that work out with you?” I rolled my eyes. “Geeze, Yuri. You always ask the same shit every first day of the school year. Can you get new questions?”

“Fine, fine,” she stopped and tried to think of something. She’s one of the rare people who put up with my shit and I love her for that.

“Hurry up, break doesn’t last forever,” I said.

“Whatever, I’ll think of something after my Drama class.” She smiled and continued to watch people.

“What a stupid class to have. What do you learn in Drama class anyway?” I waited for her to look at me and glare. She did and she let out a sigh too.

“We learn to vocalize lines properly and work with props and people as well. It’s more difficult than you think, Gen.” She was getting irritated every time I mock her and her interests.

“Sorry,” I said. “But still, have a productive class to be in. You already know how to be a good actress. This class won’t teach you anything, but other than the things you already know. What a waste of time.”

“It’s still good, you know. Just leave it alone already,” she rolled her eyes at me.

“Don’t you roll your eyes at me, Miss Drama Queen,” I snickered.

“Shut up, Miss Saying without Thinking,” she and I laughed. Then the stupid bell rang and the other stupid part of us was that we sat where the bell was.

“Fuck, why did we sit here again?” Irritated before a class, whoop. “Oh yeah, because we have no lives.”

“Only you have no life. I’m your only close friend that actually tolerates your condition,” she replied.

“Yeah and I’m getting bored of you already,” I said.

“It’s not like I don’t think of ditching you and find new friends. I’m getting tired of you,” she said and was walking faster than me. I was trying to catch up with her up the stairs.

“Bullshit. Without me your life will be the norm. Be happy that I’m part of it and make it interesting because I don’t hold back on what I’m thinking,” I argued with her. She stopped at the top of the stairs and looked at me. I looked at her and it seemed like she had daggers on her eyes.

“Just shut up,” was all she said before she left me speechless for the first time.
♠ ♠ ♠
What do you think?
By the way, the characters are up.
I'll be adding new ones, so keep checking for updates*
Or I'll just tell you after each chapter, how's about that? :)