Status: Last Update: October 23rd, 2010

Luck & Intuition

You And I Tonight.

THE WIND WAS fierce, and furious. The rain was shooting down like bullets being shot from a revolver. The wheels of the taxi screeched as it stopped in front of her house. Autumn handed the amount needed to the driver as he wished her a better day indoors, rather than outside where the intense blue light streaked across the sky.

Autumn covered her head with her jacket as she pushed opened the door with her wet hands, dropping her things to the floor. She turned her head to see Joe and Ella Mae sprawled out on the floor playing what looked to be an intense game of Candyland. Ella started laughing as Joe pulled out the Plumpy card and had to go back near the start of the board. Autumn smiled, leaning against the wall.

“You’re getting your ass kicked by a two year old in Candyland. There is something definitely wrong with this picture.”

Joe started laughing and moved his gingerbread man. “At least it isn’t Monopoly.” Ella pulled out the winning card and moved her piece to the finish line. Joe sighed in defeat. “No one shall ever know about this. What is done in the house, stays in the house.”

“Again! Again!” Ella clapped. Joe groaned and began to shuffle the cards.

“Wicked storm out there.” Joe said bluntly, pointing to the window. “At least the power isn’t off.”

“Shut up! You’re going to jinx it!”

“No I’m not.”

“Yes you are!”

“No I’m—“ The lights began to flicker and soon enough the entire house was dark. “Dammit.”

“Told you.” Autumn said and stuck out her tongue. Joe proceeded to mock her and picked up Ella to hand her to Autumn. “Hi baby girl.” She brushed Ella’s hair away from her face. “Your cheeks are all sticky. Did JoeJoe not cut up the strawberries into pieces again? For shame.”

“Yeah, yeah.” Joe placed some candles on the coffee table and flicked a lighter to light them. The room started to glow an orangey-yellow shade. “Well this isn’t exactly how I wanted to spend my Friday night when we were supposed to go out for dinner for our anniversary.” He sighed. “But I suppose this will do.”

“It’s not a big deal.” Autumn said quickly and sat on the couch with Ella. “We can just go tomorrow night or whenever...” She picked up a home decorating magazine and started to flip through the pages. Joe watched around the coffee table and snatched the magazine from her hands. “Hey!”

“What’s wrong?” Autumn twisted her face into confusion. “Don’t give me that look, A.”

“Joe, I can assure you that nothing is wrong.”

“Promise?” Autumn nodded with no verbal response. He shook his head and walked into the kitchen. Joe began pulling out pots and pans, mentally knowing that he couldn’t cook anything since the power was out. But he needed to look like he was doing something productive so Autumn wouldn’t question his gestures.

Autumn rolled her eyes. “It’s just...” Joe stopped what he was doing and looked at her, waiting to complete her sentence. “You’re the first real long-time boyfriend I’ve had. Ever. And I know that five months may not seem a lot to you, but to me I’m freaking out inside.”

“Why are you freaking out? I’m not a monster.”

“I know you’re not. I’m scared that I’m going to mess everything up. Like I’m going to mess up what we have and I don’t want that to happen because I like you a lot...” Autumn trailed off, mentally scolding herself for not saying the word she should have said instead.

“Autumn.” Joe breathed out, placing down a pan on top of the gas stove. “I doubt you will be the one to mess up this relationship. I always end up doing something stupid and the relationship takes a wrong turn. Next thing you know, they’ll be a song about me on the radio about how I broke your heart and interviews accusing me of different shit, like cheating. I have never cheated on any girl I dated, I swear.”

Autumn placed Ella on the couch and stood up. She walked into the kitchen, and leaned forward onto the island. “Luckily for you, I don’t plan on having a record deal anytime soon and I think if you were ever to break up with me that you would have a good reason too. And I don’t believe you have cheated on any girl, you’re too good for that. But that’s just my opinion.”

“You’re opinion is what matters to me.” He smiled with his whites showing. “Thank you.”

“For what? Being honest?”

“For believing me.” Autumn blushed lightly, thankfully Joe couldn’t notice with the darkness surrounding them. “Ella, don’t touch the candles, please.” Autumn turned her head just to see Ella quickly back away from the table and climb back up onto the couch. She smiled lightly facing back to Joe.

“So what are we going to have for dinner tonight at Crib de la Jonas et Lowe?”

“Well.” Joe clapped his hands together and opened the pitch black fridge. “Water. Or we can have cheese, and I think we have crackers in the pantry.”

Autumn laughed. “Our anniversary dinner is going to be cheese and crackers.”

“Oh wait, we can have the exotic tasting flavour of Froot Loops mixed with Lucky Charms, plus Corn Pops.” Joe pulled out the boxes and slammed them on the counter top. “Awe yeah, we be livin’ the good life.”

“Slow down there, Young Jeezy, we don’t have any milk. I told you that this morning before I left for work.”

“Oh right... Then I guess we’re having cheese and crackers.”

“We be livin’ the good life!” She exclaimed. Joe blinked and stared at her. “What?”

“You can’t just steal my lines after I said them, that’s just not right. That’s like stealing my unborn child.”

“What the hell?” Autumn’s faced twist and laughed.

“I have no idea. Cheese anyone?”

-&&-

“Where do you want me to put this pillow?”

“I think we have enough pillows to block out what little light we have.”

Joe crawled out from the enormous fort they had constructed in the living room. They had taken all the pillows, blankets and cushions they could lay their hands on in the house. Autumn tossed the pillow aside, grabbing the bundle of flashlights she had found in the garage. She turned on a light and waved it around.

“Ay! Watch where your aiming, you could blind somebody.” Joe had his hand up to shield his eyes. He took the flashlights and shined one into the tent. “Ella’s already in there with her bunny. Does her bunny even have a name?”

“Yes.” Autumn got down on her hands and knees, starting to crawl through the tunnel.

“What is it?” Joe asked, following in after Autumn.

She turned her head back. “Bunny.”

He chuckled, shaking his head. “Isn’t she creative?” Joe placed his hand on Autumn’s ass, pushing her forward.

“Hey pervert, watch your hands or you’ll be sleeping on the couch tonight.” Autumn rolled onto her back once she got to the main open area of the tent. Ella sat in the corner with Candyland placed in her lap along with her bunny named Bunny and her purple blanket.

Joe crawled in beside her and smirked. “You liked it, don’t lie now.”

With a snort, Autumn rolled onto her back and shrugged. She propped a pillow behind her head and shortly, Ella crawled over to her. Joe set up camp beside Autumn leaving a free spot in the middle for Ella Mae, knowing she’d end up there.

“What time is it?”

“Let me just go check the clock. Oh wait, the powers cut.” Joe shot his girlfriend a look. She rolled her eyes, pushing his head to the side. “Abuse.”

“You haven’t seen abuse yet.”

“Is that a threat? Are you threatening me? Verbal abuse!” Joe sighed loudly. “This is horrible; it’s practically two against one.”

Autumn giggled, rolling onto her side to face Joe. Her lips curved into a soft smile as her arm extended to hold his hand, tracing the lines of his palm. “You signed up for this. You can back out at anytime if it doesn’t feel right.” She measured her small hand up to his, what seemed to me, gigantic one.

“I don’t think I ever want to back out.”

Confidence. That’s all that was releasing from him was confidence. Joe knew what he wanted and no one was in the way of stopping him. No one but Autumn of course with her insecurities.

“You sound pretty confident about that.”

“I am.” He smiled. Before she could question him why, he answered. “Because I love you.”

There was that word again; that horrible, disgusting, sweetest word that every human being wants to hear from a significant other in their life. Forget about the unconditional love from family, that’s just given. This word was frightening, almost deathly. It could make your heart stop beating. It could make all of your dreams come true; however, it could also tear you apart like a shredder. Fuck. This word was like Voldemort; say it and you’re dead.

“Autumn!” Autumn shook her head and looked at him. “You spaced out.”

“Oh. Sorry. Did you say something?”

Joe broke eye contact and sighed. “No.” He removed his hand from hers and turned to lie on his back. Autumn looked down in the middle seeing Ella with her eyes closed. She frowned, knowing that Joe must have been a little upset that he hasn’t heard what he’s wanted to hear from her.

“Joe, it’s not that I don’t... you know. I do, really. But I don’t know what’s stopping me from saying it. I just can’t.” She tried to explain, although she thought it was a terrible explanation. Autumn gave it her best.

Joe’s head tilted to the side to look at her. “I don’t want to pressure you into anything you don’t feel is right.”

“It’s not like you’re pressuring me into having sex, Joe.” She sighed. “Just, just give me time please. Like I said, it’s not like I don’t have those feelings for you. It’s just hard for me to say.”

“Because you’re scared.” Autumn nodded. “I understand. If you think I’m mad at you you’re wrong. I suppose I’m just frustrated with myself because maybe I told you too early into the game. See, I already messed up.”

“No! No you didn’t. You didn’t do anything wrong. You admitted how you truly felt. Then there’s me whose being pretty much a pussy and can’t even say the word.” Joe began laughing uncontrollably. “We’re having a serious conversation and you’re laughing? Now I just... Ugh!”

“Autumn,” He spoke through laughter. “Baby, I think you have Philophobia.”

“I do not have Philphobia!” Autumn smacked his arm. “You’re a jerk. Here I’m trying to somewhat admit my feelings on our anniversary and you’re telling me I have a fear of love phobia.” She crossed her arms over her chest and turned to face the other direction.

“I was kidding! Kidding, like a joke, haha. Get it?”

“Jerk.”

“Autumn.” He said. “Autumn Rose.” She ignored him. “Autumn Rose Lowe.”

“This sucks. Being mad at you is clearly impossible. Screw you.”

“Oh please do.”

“You make things awkward.”

“I know.”

-&&-

An annoying buzzing sound caused Joe to start stirring from his mild sleep. His eyes opened to the darkness, removing the object from its position. He squinted at the bright screen of Autumn’s phone and clicked the green button.

“Hello?” His voice was hoarse and quiet.

“Joe?! Oh thank God!” Storm’s voice sounded panicked on the other line. Her breathing was deep and quick.

“Storm, are you okay?”

“It’s Nick—Oh my God!” She was sobbing heavily and started panting. Sirens were blaring in the back ground. She cried out to someone. “No, please!” Joe sat up instantly.

“Storm. Storm, talk to me. What the hell is going on?!”

“He’s going to the hospital. Oh God—“

“Storm? Storm?!” The line went dead. “Fuck.” Joe slammed the phone down, shaking Autumn to walk her up. Her eyes opened slowly. “Nick’s going to the hospital.”

“What?!” Autumn shot up. “What happened?” Joe rushed out the fort, grabbing his keys and cell phone off the table. Autumn crawled out of the tent with Ella in her hands. “What the fuck is going on?!”

“Grab your coat. We’ll drop Ella off at Greg’s.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello :) Welcome to chapter 20! I made it, yay! Haha. Anyways, I hope you enjoyed this chapter filled with love and junk then a cliffhanger, I'm so evil it's insane. Not really, but still.

Three things for you to check out-
1. My Joe Jonas Three-Shot: Critical Shot - 2/3 completed.
2. My contest: Write Me A Lullaby - 1 spot remaining
3. Kaisie's New Nick J story: While The World Is Spinning

Thank you :)