Status: Last Update: October 23rd, 2010

Luck & Intuition

Where Is The Love?

Downtown Los Angeles- 10:12pm

Nick laced his fingers with Storm’s as they drove home from the recording studio in the light rain. She smiled, laying her head back as Nick sung under his breath. Storm rolled her head from side to side, pondering.

“What are you thinking about?” Nick question, brining her hand up to his lips and placed a kiss on her knuckles.

“I think that we need milk.” Nick started laughing and shaking his head. “What? I think we do.”

“Okay. I’ll stop at the next convenience store and pick up some so it won’t bother you anymore.”

Storm rolled her head to the side facing Nick and smiled. “It’s not bothering me, but do what you gotta do.”

The steering wheel glided through Nick’s grip as he made a right hand turn. He clocked in a store about a mile down the road making that his prime target before going home with Storm. The blinker binged as he turned into the parking lot of the store and parked on an angel in the spot provided.

“Are you coming in or staying in the car?” asked Nick, taking off his seatbelt and turning down the stereo.

“I’ll stay in here; you’ll only be two minutes anyways.”

Nick nodded and hopped out of his car. His shoes made connection with the damp ground, figuring that when he entered the store that his shoes would squeak on the ceramic tiling. Nick pulled open the door and just as the bell went off two heads rose from the cashier counter. The man and lady nodded their head in a ‘good evening’ gesture as Nick proceeded to walk to the back to get a carton of milk.

He started whistling casually, opening the door and pulling out two cartons and grabbing a pack of Fuzzy Peaches on his way to the cashier. Nick placed the items on the counter, hearing the bell go off as two other people walked in. He watched the man ring through the items and calculated the total.

“Six dollars and twelve cents is your total amount.” The man seemed to be bored. The women, what looked to be his sister, started placing the milk and candy into a plastic bag for Nick and handed it to him. Nick slid a ten dollar bill across the counter, accepting his change and pocketing it. “Have a good evening.”

“You too—“

“Step the fuck away from the register!” Nick hit the floor with a thud as he got pushed by the bigger man of the two that had entered. He looked up from the floor seeing them both with hoods on that casted a shadow so Nick couldn’t see their faces. The other man dropped a duffle bag on the countertop, pointing his gun at the owner demanding for all the cash they had.

Nick shuffled to his feet without them noticing, pulling his cell phone out of his pocket and pressing his fingers to dial 911.

“He’s got a phone!” The bigger man turned aiming the gun directly at Nick’s chest, pulling the slide back and ready at a moment’s notice to fire. “Give me the fucking phone!” Nick’s dropped his phone and kicked it with the toe of his show towards the man. The man bent down to pick it up, his eyes being shielded from the figure of Nick.

As soon as his eyes were on the floor, Nick backed up against the door pushing it open with his back, the bell going off. A loud bang set off that could pierce your ears. The glass behind him shattered. Nick dropped to the ground on his knees with his hand gripping the middle of his chest. He released with his hand covered in the dark red, sticky liquid. His breathing cut to a short pant as he fell to his side to where the milk had fell and splattered. Black dots blurred Nick’s vision; his eyes closing slowly only seeing the feet of the men running out of the store, and a scream echoing from afar. And soon...

Nothing.

Downtown Los Angeles- 10:22pm

Storm turned the radio stations, frustrating angrily as nothing caught her attention. She glanced at the clock wondering why the hell Nick was taking so long. She strummed her fingers on the arm of the chair, pulling out her cell phone to check if she had any missed messages. She caught an image out of the corner of her eye.

“Finally!” Storm breathed out and sat up properly as she saw Nick’s back.

A loud bang caught Storm’s attention, making her jump in her seat. The milk cartons in Nick’s hands dropped to the ground, splattering everywhere. He fell to his knees with his hand gripping his chest tightly. Storm threw off her seat belt, propping herself up to get a better view. Nick collapsed on his side, no motions in progress. Two men ran out of the store, sliding into an old Cadillac. Their tires screeched as they sped down the road.

Storm jumped out of the car running to the shattered glass door. “Nick.” She rolled him over, blood oozing out of the bullet hole in his chest and his brown eyes closed tight. Storm screamed, looking up and noticing the man and the women behind the counter to be shot too. Storm’s knees buckled as her hands shook dialling for the police.

“911 what’s your emergency?”

“You have to help me. My boyfriend he’s been shot. Three people have been shot. You have to help me—Oh God!” Storm sobbed into the phone with rushing words, clenching onto Nick’s hand.

“Ma’am, you need to slow down. Who got shot?”

“My fucking boyfriend! Nick!” She cried out. “7-Eleven on Venice Boulevard.” The phone dropped out of Storm’s hand, her body falling onto Nick’s blood stained chest. “Nick. Nick, wake up! Please. Nick...”

Sirens sounded in the background but they didn’t seem to be close enough until Storm was pulled away by two police officers while paramedics aided to Nick and the owners of the store. Storm broke through the officers, running to Nick’s side as he was restrained to the stretcher.

“Oh my God, Nick.”

“Miss you need to back away from the stretcher.” An officer pulled her back. The paramedics pushed down on Nick’s chest, one of them calling out that he had a weak pulse. Storm picked up her phone, speed dialling Autumn’s number.

“Hello?” A raspy, male voice answered the phone.

“Joe?! Oh thank God!” Storm’s voice was panicked. Her breathing was deep and quick.

“Storm, are you okay?” Joe asked, he seemed to be a bit dazed.

“It’s Nick—Oh my God!” She was sobbing heavily and started panting. Sirens were blaring in the background. She cried out to Nick in the distance as they rushed him into the ambulance. “No, please!”

“Storm. Storm, talk to me. What the hell is going on?!”

“He’s going to the hospital. Oh God—“ The line dropped as Storm watched the vehicle drive in speed to the hospital.

“Miss, we’ll drive you to the hospital.” The younger one of the officers guided her to the back of the police car. Tears melting her face with horror and fear. The red and blue lights started flashing as the officer pulled out of the parking lot, the wheels skidding on the pavement in the direction of the closest hospital.

Upon arriving at the hospital, Storm burst through the doors and into the main lobby of the ER. Her head spun in all directions around the room, her eye catching the familiar paramedic from the scene of the shooting. Her feet moved before her head to consider on what she was doing.

“Where is he?! Where’d you take him?!” Storm’s voice was crashing like a building being torn down by dynamite.

“He’s in surgery. Miss, everything is going to be alright. I can assure you that.” The paramedic’s voice was calm and he was very collected. His hands rested on her forearms, bracing Storm so she wouldn’t fall. “Did you call someone?” She nodded. “Okay. You will be waiting in here until the doctors comes out.”

The paramedic walked Storm to a chair in the nearly bare waiting room, sitting her down. He crouched down, taking a tissue from the Kleenex box on the side table and dabbing under Storm’s eyes.

“Would you like me to get you anything? Water, soda, coffee?” He asked.

“No.” She whispered. The paramedic nodded, standing up. “What’s your name?”

“I’m Aaron. If you need anything, I’ll be here most of the night. I’m right through those doors.” Storm followed the path from his finger to the door in the distant. She nodded. “Everything will be fine, Miss.”

“Storm. I’m Storm.”

“Storm. Everything will be fine.”

Good Samaritan Hospital, Los Angeles- 10:36pm

“What the fuck is going on?” Kevin’s voice boomed in the parking lot of the hospital as Joe and Autumn rushed out of the Jeep. Taylor stood beside Kevin, clenching his hand tightly.

“I don’t know! Storm called and something happened to Nick.” Joe’s feet stamped against the wet pavement, rushing up the stairs to the main entrance. Autumn held onto his hand, being pulled along quickly.

Kevin sprinted ahead to the desk. “Nick Jonas. He was just brought in. Some emergency. Where is he?”

“You have to go to the ER, sir. Right through those doors.” The older lady in behind the glass pointed with her pen to the automatic doors that were opening. Kevin nodded as they all began their race towards the next room.

“Storm!” Autumn called out, being the first to see her. Her paced increased to Storm as she stood with tears drenching her face. Autumn’s arms flung around the trembling girl. “What happened? What happened to Nick?”

“H-He got shot. There was so much blood, Autumn.” She pulled away, showing Autumn her own blood stained hands from Nick’s injury. “I-I don’t know if....” Storm’s breathing quickened, she was starting to hyperventilate.

“Nurse!” Taylor called out. A nurse filed out from her little desk in the corner, grabbing onto Storm to lead her to the paramedic room to lie down.

Autumn rubbed her forehead with her own tears escaping. Her hands covered her mouth with her eyes closing. Joe’s hand rested on her shoulder, instantly telling her body to move to his. Autumn’s face buried into his chest with Joe’s arms enveloping her closely. She could hear his own silent sobs in his chest and his heart beat moving a million miles per hour.

“She has passed out. And as for Mr Jonas, he is in surgery. All you can do now is wait.” The nurse crept up from behind Kevin, Taylor, Joe and Autumn. “There is a cafeteria down the hall and to your left. Feel free to use our services.”

“Thank you.” Taylor said to her since no one else could seem to speak. The nurse nodded, walking back to the small desk in the corner. Taylor took a seat in the old cushioned, wooden chair. She slumped down letting the outburst of her new baby bump to show. The rest followed suit into sitting.

All that was left to do now was to wait.

Good Samaritan Hospital, Waiting Room- 1:07am

Kevin tapped his fingers impatiently on the arm of the wooden chair. Taylor’s head rested against his shoulder, snoozing soundly along with Joe and Autumn. The only thoughts that were running in his mind were far from being positive. Nick had been in surgery for over two and a half hours and as the minutes past, the more scared Kevin grew.

His hazel eyes refused to revert from the automatic doors straight head of him. He waited for any sign of a doctor to come out and tell them information they had. However, the only people that seemed to be coming in and out were nurses and paramedics. Kevin was getting less impressed by the moment. He sighed, looking down onto the tiled flooring and ran his fingers through his curly hair.

“I assume that you are a Jonas?” Kevin’s head shot up to see, finally, a doctor. He looked to be in his late forties and the grays in his hair were already showing. “I only assume because your brother resembles you.”

Kevin stood up. “I’m Kevin Jonas. Nick’s older brother.” He pushed on Joe’s shoulder, his eyes shooting open and standing up. Followed by the awaking of Autumn and Taylor. “This is Joseph.”

“Do you have any news for us?” Joe asked, beaming releasing off him.

“Yes.” The doctor, whose name appeared to be Dr Collins on his nametag, opened the folder her hand in his hand. “We were able to remove the bullet from his chest. However—“
“Oh God” Autumn muttered.

“He lost a large quantity of blood before the paramedics could reach him. Now, we were able to restore most but he is very, very weak. Nicholas’ pulse is steady but slows down at moments. The bullet was launched near the heart but did not seem to damage anything, so that is a good sign.”

“So he’s going to be okay?” Storm’s voice came from behind. Dr Collins looked passed the group, directly at Storm.

“Well, right now things are alright. We are going to keep monitoring him throughout the course of the next few weeks. You are allowed to see him, but only two at a time please. If you’d all follow me.” Dr Collins led the group through the sliding doors and into what seemed to be a hotel of rooms on either side of the hall. Nick’s room was the last one at the end, on the right. “I’ll be checking in often.”

Dr Collins nodded as Joe thanked him.

“I know he’s your brother, and I know you’re dying to see him but can I go in first?” Storm’s voice was low, barely audible. Kevin and Joe nodded, moving away from the closed door. Storm sucked in her breath, turning the silver handle and pushing open the door.

The room was a pure white and rather large. There was a window on the far side of the room that overlooked most of the city. A flat screen was bolted high on the wall facing opposite of the clean, white bed the broken Nick was laying upon. Storm made her way over slowly, glancing at the different monitors that were on. She stared at Nick’s arms covered with multiple wires and tubes. His chest moving up and down slowly, but his breathing loud.

Storm gripped the handle on the bed, her eyes welling up quickly seeing the badges wrapped around his chest and the dark blood stops that were seeping through. His curls were out of place and his hands cut from the broken glass. She lifted his hand, grasping it with all her might and squeezed.

“Nick...” She whispered and sighed. “If you can hear me just know that I love you so much, more than you could ever know. You’re a fighter; you always have been so you have to keep holding on. Don’t give up, please. I need you here. We need you here: Kevin, Joe, Autumn, Taylor, your mom, dad, and Frankie. He looks up to you.”

Storm’s eyes reverted to the ground, tears sliding down her cheek like an avalanche. She raised his head and kissed his knuckles, just like he would do to her. She rested her cheek on the back of his hand.

“I love you.”
♠ ♠ ♠
After writing this chapter, I honestly feel so upset with myself of what it has become. I must remind all of you that this is fiction, the events that occur in this story are not real. On a side note, what do you think of this chapter? Your comments are much appreciated.

Thank you.