Status: Last Update: October 23rd, 2010

Luck & Intuition

Revolution.

AUTUMN RAN THE back of her hand along her forehead to erase the sweat from her brow. She turned her key and opened the door to her apartment and lugged in her brief case filled with files and her laptop. She set her keys on the table and closed her eyes, pinching the bridge of her nose.

“Can you say Nick? N-ick. You try.” Storm’s voice was soft with a childish tone.

“Niq!”

Immediately, Autumn’s eyes snapped open and dropped her bags, running into the living room. A huge smile stretched across her face.

“Ella looks whose home.” Storm smiled and set down the two year old girl on her feet. Ella giggled and ran towards Autumn as her arms were wide open.

“Aut-umn!” Ella shouted and giggled some more. Autumn hugged her niece tightly in her arms, closing her eyes.

Storm laughed, “I don’t understand. She can pronounce your name but can’t say Nick.”

“My name is just way more awesome.” Autumn smirked and set Ella down on the ground.

“Oh, thanks.” Autumn looked up to see Nick exiting the kitchen with a water bottle and some crackers in hand. Oh, so that’s what that cologne smell was. The dog was in the house.

Autumn ignored Nick and turned her attention to Storm again. “When did Aiden drop her off?”

“About, fifteen minutes ago.” Another voice came from the kitchen. Aiden appeared in the door way. “I was just about to leave.”

Autumn frowned at her twin brother. His clothes were torn with oil spills splattered across it.

“Watch Ella Mae. Aiden, come with me.” Autumn grabbed onto Aiden’s arm and pulled him towards her bedroom, shutting the door behind her. “Aiden, you can’t keep living like this. It’s not good for Ella.”

“Don’t you think I know that, Autumn? I am the one raising her. You and I both know that I’m doing one hell of a job too.” Aiden shot back, shoving his hands into his pockets. “Like it was my fault Emma skipped out.”

“It wasn’t your fault. She’s a bitch for leaving you and Ella like that.” She paused. “I know we’ve been over this before, but you should go to Financial Aid and get some help, Aiden.”

“No. They won’t do anything, it’s always the same fucking thing that I have to file a form to the bank and the bank always declines me. There’s nothing I can do about it.”

Autumn sighed, walking into her clothes and pulled down a small duffle bag. She walked back out and tossed it at her brother.

“What’s this?” He asked, raising an eyebrow at her.

“Just open it.” Aiden nodded, unzipping the zipper and gasping loudly.

“Holy shit, Autumn. I know you’re rich but where the hell did you get all of this cash? This is insane.” Aiden’s fingertips ran across the crumbled cash, looking at Autumn. “Are you a stripper?!”

“Aiden! I’m sexy but not that sexy! No, I’m not a stripper. Let’s just say that my stomach tissues are slowly being eaten away by the consumption of burning alcohol.”

“You’re fucking insane, sis.” Aiden laughed and shook his head. “I can’t accept this. It’s not right.”

“You bet it’s not right. So you’re taking it. End of story.”

“But—“

“Do not argue with your big sister, Aiden.”

“Big sister? Yeah, okay then.” Aiden shook his head and walked out of the bedroom towards the living room

“Yes, big sister. I am five minutes older than you, mister!” Autumn followed seeing Ella and Nick on the ground playing with some light up toy. Autumn walked to the door with Storm and Aiden as Aiden slipped on his work boots.

“So how long?” Storm asked.

“Three weeks at the most. I hate working midnights and I’m trying to get it switched but so far nothing at the moment.” Aiden sighed. “I’ll call and stop by when I can. But you know how good she is. She barely cries.”

“I know.” Autumn turned back to look at Ella Mae. “She’s going to be fine. She has me and Storm... and apparently Niq.” Autumn laughed softly, nudging Storm’s ribs.

“You know what, it’s better than nothing!” Storm laughed.

Aiden smiled. “Hey Storm. Jonas over there seems alright. Even though he has poodle-like hair...”

“See! I’m not the only one! Ha!” Autumn high fived her brother. “Storm keeps denying it.”

“He doesn’t have poodle hair. You guys are so rude!” Storm glared at both of them and stomped back into the living room.

“What? I was just saying what I thought.”

“That’s what I’m saying! You should get going, though.” Autumn frowned slightly. “Make sure you call, okay? She’ll miss you. We both will.”

“Awe, is big sis getting all emotional?” Aiden set the strap of the duffle bag on his shoulder and wrapped his arms around his sister and squeezed.

“Oh please, Aiden. When do I get emotional about anything?” She laughed and hugged him back.

“Okay, you may have a point. But you know what I mean. I will call. Promise.” Aiden opened the door and walked out silently. Autumn closed the door and locked it, pressing her forehead against the wood of the door.

Things needed to change for Aiden and Ella Mae. Autumn wanted to make that happen. But she didn’t know how.

“Autumn.” Nick’s voice came from behind her. “I couldn’t help but overhear, I’m sorry.”

“It’s okay, Nick.”

“You know it’s gonna be all right.”

[&&]

“It’s just you and me today, Ella Mae. Stormy is at work with a million little kids like you, but not as cute because that is just impossible!” Autumn smiled and kissed Ella’s nose. “So I think we should go to Starbucks and then the park, and maybe sneak in some ice cream. What do you think?”

“Park! Park!” Ella smiled and clapped her small hands together. Autumn brushed out Ella’s long brown hair.

Autumn watched Ella in the mirror as their facial features resembled one another due to the fact of her twin’s genes.

“You know, when I was your age my mom use to brush my hair for hours and I’d dress up in her expensive clothes, shoes and make up.” Autumn said to a babbling Ella, as if she was just talking to herself while Ella played with her bunny.

Autumn stood up and grabbed Ella’s bag and then her own, scooping up Ella Mae into her arms. “Come on, let’s get this day started with hopefully no interruptions.”

Autumn and Ella walked along the sidewalk towards the closest Starbucks. Ella pushed open the door and stumbled inside, giggling and looking around. Autumn picked up Ella and set her down on the counter.

“Venti Pepperment Mocha, please.” Autumn mumbled and raided through her wallet to find some change.

“Bunny!” Ella shouted and pointed to the ground.

“One second, Ella. I don’t have enough change.” Autumn sighed and dig through her purse.

“Bunny!” Ella giggled and clapped.

“I know, Ella, one sec—“ Autumn turned and stopped her movement. “I should have guessed.”

“You should have guessed what?”

“I should have guessed that I would be seeing you again. I mean this whole scene is so cliché.” Autumn said, digging through her purse again.

“I guess in a way it is.” Joe said, handing the stuffed bunny to Ella. “Is she yours?”

“No, she’s my niece. And I don’t have any change.” Autumn groaned and slammed her purse down on the counter.

Joe reached into his back pocket and pulled out his black leather weather and took out a ten dollar bill. “Put her drink with mine.” Autumn opened her mouth. “If you’re going to object, don’t waste your breath.”

“Fine.” Autumn glared and put her wallet away.

“She looked like you.” Joe said, glancing from Ella to Autumn. “A lot.”

“My brother and I are twins, I guess that’s why.”

“Here you go.” The barista placed Joe and Autumn’s coffee into front of them. Autumn picked hers up and sipped it slowly.

“Yeah, I suppose that’s why she looks like you. She’s beautiful.” Joe commented, smiling at Ella.

“Ella is. Yeah.” Autumn agreed and scooped Ella into her arms. “Say bye to Joe, Ella.”

“Bye Joe!” Ella waved with one hand and gripped onto her bunny.

“Where are you two going?” Joe asked, following them out of the coffee shop.

“Park! The park!”

Joe chuckled. “You’re going to the park? Well that sounds like fun.”

“Joe come?” Ella looked up at Autumn.

“Uhh..” Autumn stuttered. “I think Joe’s busy, Ella. Maybe some other time.”

Or never.

“I’d love to come!” Ella began to cheer again as Autumn rolled her eyes.

Oh joy, Joe’s coming! Stupid brother of Dog.

[&&]

“How old is Ella?” Joe asked, sitting beside Autumn on the bench. Ella ran around the park with her new friends for the day.

“She just turned two.”

Joe nodded. “She acts older than she is, like you do.”

“I do not...” Autumn trailed off. “A bit.” She shrugged and sipped her drink.

“So you’re brother is married.”

“No.”

“No?”

“The mother of his child vanished after she had Ella Mae. So now Aiden tries to look after her but I help out when he needs me too.” Autumn skimmed briefly over the core details Joe didn’t need to know.

“He tries?”

“The job he has is shift work, so for three weeks he works midnights which means he can’t be there for Ella during the night. So I look after her. And he barely has any money which sucks big time for them because Ella can hardly eat and bathe properly.”

“What about your parents?”

“What about them?” She challenged back. Autumn’s eyes narrowed on the slide where Ella was sitting and babbling to another girl her age.

“Why don’t they help out?”

“My mother lives in London and my dad is probably on an island with his mistress.” She rolled her eyes in disgust and crossed her legs.

“His mistress?”

“What is this twenty questions?” Autumn stood up and tossed her cup into the garbage can, turning back to Joe.

“No, I just wanted to get to know you. I’m sorry for prying.” Joe’s apology with sincere, you could tell he really meant it. His head was lowered, fiddling with his coffee cup.

“It’s... fine.”

“Really?”

“No, not really.” She sighed and folded her arms across her chest, looking down at him. “Don’t you have some photoshoot or interview to be at?”

“Yes but I’m sure Nick and Kevin will do fine without me.”

Immeditaely, Joe’s cell phone started to ring from his pocket. He took it out and started to laugh. He pressed the green talk button and placed the phone to his ear.

“Well, isn’t it my lovely sister-in-law!”

“Don’t start with the lame jokes, Joseph. Nick’s freaking out because the interview is about to start and you’re not here. Therefore, he is yelling at Kevin then Kevin is yelling at me for no apparent reason! You better get your ass here so fast or I’ll—“

“Tay! Taylor, calm down. I’m coming. Tell Nick to go eat some sugar or something and I’ll be there in ten minutes.” Joe yelled into the phone and rolled his eyes.

“You’re a bastard, did you know that?” Taylor asked bluntly. “No wonder why girls turn you down.”

“Well, aren’t you funny. I can see why Kevin married you.” Joe ended the call and stood up. “I have to go to an interview. Sorry for bailing.”

“You should apologize to Ella, not me.” Autumn turned. “Ella! Come here!”

Ella moved her little feet towards Joe and Autumn.

“Joe has to leave.”

Joe crouched down to Ella’s level. “I have to go, Ella. It was really nice meeting you.”

“Okay. Byebye Joe!” Ella engulfed Joe in a hug. Joe laughed and hugged her back.

“Bye Ella.” Ella ran back towards the slide and plopped down in front to the girl she was playing with before.

“So I’ll see you around.” Joe stood up straight, glancing at Autumn.

“In your dreams, Jonas.”

“Then I’ll keep on dreaming.”

Autumn rolled her eyes and turned away. “Goodbye, Joe.”

“Hey Autumn, you know it’s gonna be all right.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm satisfied with the chapter.
It brings out more of who the characters are.
Commets please & thank you!