Sequel: Meant to Be
Status: Complete <3 Go check out the sequel!

What Once Was, Is No More

Has It Been Five Years?

April 2005

”Oh that must be him!” Olivia exclaimed as her cousin Charlotte helped her put on her necklace.

It was the night of prom and Brendon had finally asked Olivia to it. He gave her a ‘mixed CD’ for her to listen to and told her to call him after she heard it to let him know what she thought. As she listened, he sang all the things he loved about her and at the end asked, “Will you go to prom with me?” and she immediately called him to say yes. Unfortunately, Olivia’s parents were out of town, but her cousin Charlotte came over to help her prepare for this special night. After Charlotte latched her necklace on, Olivia headed for the front door to let Brendon in. They both stared in awe at each other.

“Oh. My. God.” They all said in unison.


The Present

Olivia stood completely dazed, staring at the person standing in front of her. She wasn’t sure if she was seeing things or not, but she couldn’t deny that the man standing in her doorway resembled Brendon…A lot.

She started to mouth his name. “Bren-Brendon?” She finally asked.

She could feel her heart beat even faster after saying his name. He looked just as shocked to see her, but with a little hint of happiness. He had never really gotten over her.

“What are you doing here?” He asked her.

“I live here. What are you…Oh my God. You’re Jason’s cousin?” Olivia asked in disbelief, hoping his answer was no.

He nodded his head slowly. “And you’re his girlfriend.” He stated sadly.

“Wow, I should be going. It seems you two have a lot to talk about.” Charlotte said getting up from the couch. “It’s nice seeing you again Brendon.” She said as she passed him on her way out.

“Wait! Charlotte!” Olivia yelled running past Brendon towards her cousin. “You can’t leave…What am I suppose to do?” She asked keeping her voice low.

Charlotte shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t know. I’m sorry Olivia, but maybe it’s no coincidence he’s here, you two had a lot of history together. Maybe it’s time for some closure.” She said placing a comforting grip on Olivia’s shoulder.

As Charlotte left for the elevator, Olivia headed back to her own apartment. Brendon was standing against the wall opposite of the door, hands behind his back. She stopped and stood next to the door. Olivia looked down at her feet, feeling uneasy about being alone with Brendon. She looked up at him and found him still staring at her. She felt herself blush a little.

She sighed heavily and motioned for him to enter the apartment. “Go on in, I guess.” Olivia said.

He grabbed his suitcase and guitar from the floor and walked past her, inhaling her sweet scent. She always smelled lovely from what he recalled about her. He stood in the middle of the living room, not really sure where else to go. His mind was racing with memories of the two of them and thoughts about what was happening right then. He knew it was no coincidence that they ran into each other.

“Um…I’ll show you to your room.” Olivia said walking towards the guest room, Brendon following behind her.

Each step she took, she felt her heart pound just as loud. Her mind just couldn’t wrap around the fact he was here and here to stay, at least for a while.

“Here you are.” She said opening the door to his room.

He walked past her, accidently brushing against her, causing a small shock between them. They both flinched.

“Ow.” Olivia said rubbing her arm.

He gave a small chuckle. “Sorry.” He told her smiling at her.

She turned away quickly. “Um…I’ll be right back.” Olivia said walking out of the room.

Brendon watched her leave. She looked the same as he last saw her five years ago, except she wasn’t seventeen anymore. He didn’t think it was possible for someone to look more beautiful after so many years, but Olivia had proved him wrong. He would never forgive himself for letting her go.

Olivia went straight to her bathroom. She clenched the edge of the vanity, leaning forward over the sink. She couldn’t believe this was happening; of all the people to run into, of all people to be Jason’s cousin, it had to be the one who broke her heart-Brendon. She felt the warmth of her tears fill her eyes and quickly leaned her head back to stop the tears from falling. She kept thinking about how she was going to get through the days he would be here. She stared at herself in the mirror-her cheeks a little flushed, but no other signs that she was teary-eyed. She couldn’t avoid him forever. She went back to Brendon’s now room and knocked.

“Come in.” Brendon said from the other side of the door.

She slowly opened the door and walked in. Brendon could sense the uneasiness between them and how awkward the situation was.

Olivia finally spoke. “So, have you eaten yet?” She asked looking at her hands while she fidgeted with her fingers.

He smiled at her. “Not yet.”

“Oh. Well, do you wanna go grab lunch?” She asked with hesitation.

He loved how shy she still was, even after all these years. “Sure.” He said.

She finally looked up at him; he was still smiling at her. She gave him a small one back.

The drive was a little less awkward than their meeting a bit earlier. Brendon just stared out the window, slumping in his seat, while Olivia kept her eyes on the road.

“So, what do you feel like eating?” She asked him, barely turning in his direction.

“Whatever sounds good to me. How ‘bout some Italian.” He suggested.

Olivia thought Italian sounded amazing; it had been awhile since she last had it and she knew just the place to eat at.

They arrived at the restaurant and were seated quickly. The lunch rush had passed, so it was emptier than usual.

“So, it’s been awhile since we’ve seen each other.” Brendon said looking through the menu.

She looked up from her menu and looked at him. “Five years to be exact.” She said not breaking contact.

He looked up at her. “Has it been five years?” He asked sarcastically, but giving her a friendly smile.

She couldn’t help but laugh. Even though it had been that long, she knew his personality all too well. She hated to admit it, but she definitely missed those days she spent with him. Being there with him, brought back all those wonderful memories together.

“So, what have you been up to?” He asked.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's been a while since I've posted and this isn't as epic as I'd hope it'd be, but here it is =)