‹ Prequel: How It Should Be
Sequel: More of These Days

These Days

Seven

Jordan felt bad, but not all that bad. He told her from the very first kiss he wasn’t looking for something serious. He just wanted to have fun. It was a little unfortunate that he chose Sidney Crosby’s little sister to fool around with no one was going to find out. He was going to make sure of that.

Jordan stepped off the ice. Playing the Senators had been an easy game. They won 4-0 and he felt good. But not good enough to face seeing Taylor in the flesh all alone; he didn’t want to upset her by telling her he didn’t want a girlfriend; especially one younger and one that lived in Nova Scotia. He didn’t want to start a fight. He just didn’t want a chick hanging on end waiting for his texts.

He opted to go out with his teammates for a celebration at a bar instead of back to his apartment where Taylor would surely be waiting. Sidney was sitting at the bar alone, nursing a beer. Sidney was never one to drink; he was like a little kid. Jordan decided to go over and feel him out.

“Hey, Sid, awesome game winner,” Jordan slid onto the stool next to his friend. Sidney looked up at smiled. The exchange high fives and Sidney complimented him back.

“Couldn’t have done it without your assist, Gronk,”

“Why do you look so down, man? We won!”Jordan asked, punching Sidney’s shoulder lightly. Sidney shrugged.

“It shouldn’t really bother me, but I found out some stuff about the summer and it’s eating at me.” Sidney said. Jordan knew now was not the right time to tell Sidney he’d been screwing around with his little sister, not that there ever would be a right time.

“What’s the bad news?”

“Karen’s going back home to Montana; it shouldn’t bother me because I knew all along that was her plan. She doesn’t go home for the week long breaks and short holidays like Thanksgiving and stays with me because the flights cost so much. But the summer is a long time and she’s spending it in Mon-fucking-tana. And then she’s going to get a job and start a life in the real world and who know where that will take here and where it will leave me.” Jordan knew that a cursing Sidney was a very upset Sidney. He sighed.

“Have you considered buying her a plan ticket and flying her out to Cole Harbor to visit you?”

“That’s a pretty good idea. Or maybe I could go to Montana for a little while…but…never mind.” Sidney shook his head and looked down at his hands. Jordan prompted him to continue. “We’re not even official boyfriend and girlfriend yet, so I don’t even know how to bring it up and talk to her about it.”

“Well, do you want a relationship with her? If you do then this conversation shouldn’t be hard at all, just establish she’s your girlfriend. If you don’t you should stop seeing her, stop stringing her along.” Jordan shrugged. He downed the rest of his “root-beer”, and nudged Sid to ask for another. The regular bar had an unwritten understanding about the underage Penguins drinking, especially after a win.

“That’s good advice,” Sidney sighed. He opened his mouth to say something else to Jordan when a series of events occurred. Matt Weinstein rushed into the bar and hurled himself at Evgeni while Jordan’s phone started vibrating in his pocket.

“What now?” Evgeni asked.

“Your girlfriend and I are taking an emergency trip to New York. You stay here.” Matt said. He started walking back out of the now silenced bar. Evgeni went to stand. “NO! STAY!” Matt made a sitting motion with his hands and Evgeni sat back down, dumbfounded. “She’ll call you when we land!” Matt shouted, and then ran the rest of the way out. Jordan briefly forgot he received a text.

“Wasn’t the last time Matt burst into a bar when you fought with Violet?” Sidney turned around to face Evgeni. The large Russian stood up and lumbered over to Si. Geno nodded. “You fight with her again?” Evgeni shook his head. “Then what the hell was that?”

“No idea.” Geno shook his head. “I go home. Wait for Violet call. Wonder why she no wait for me. Ask what in New York. Family in Punxataweney,” Sidney and Jordan watched the Russian power forward walk confusedly out of the bar.

“That’s weird.” Jordan understated the moment after a minute. Sidney nodded and took a mouthful of beer.

“Yeah.” Sidney said after a beat as well. “Ugh, I should text him later and make sure he’s alright. He looked like a poor little child.” Sidney outwardly made a mental note, reminding Jordan about his own phone. Jordan picked it up. It was a text from Taylor.

Hey, I thought we were hanging out tonight?

Jordan sighed unhappily and typed out a reply and sent it quickly.

“Who was that?” Sid asked over the top of his glass.

“Marc.” Jordan referred to his New York Ranger older brother. “Wants us to get amped for when we play them. And to tell me mom is coming this time.” Jordan lied straight through his teeth. He had practice though, as a child he blamed everything on Marc and everyone always believed him. That, and his brothers were always texting him so it wasn’t that big of a stretch. It vibrated again as Sidney was nodding, accepting that.

Aw, I wanted to see you. Tomorrow maybe?

Sure.

Jordan pocketed his phone and grabbed his beer. He nudged Sidney’s shoulder. “You’ll be alright man, just think about it all and then talk to Karen. If it’s bothering you this much you probably should be official…and if you don’t want to be then you should end it.”

“Thanks again, Gronk. Where is this advice coming from? You’re not exactly Mr. Relationship.” Sidney called over his shoulder as Jordan who was ambling over toward Max who was trying to get a poker game going.

“It’s all the time I spend talking to my brothers. They’re the serial monogamists. I’m the black sheep in that department.” It was good advice, Jordan lamented. It made sense, especially in Sidney’s situation. I should probably follow my own advice too, Jordan thought. He would have to tell Taylor he wasn’t looking for anything. That this wasn’t supposed to be a great love affair, that it was just a fun fling.

“Fuck.” He muttered to himself. It wasn’t going to be easy. She’s a Crosby, after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm really dissappointed I only got two reviews on the last chapter. There are 30+ subscribers so it's not very cool that I'm not getting more comments.

My nanny job started today, so updates will be coming even slower now. But if I get comments I'll be more motivated to post. It's up to you, readers.