Big City Dreams.

Chapter 4.

"Good job on this," Mr. Minton told me, handing me the test we had taken the week before. "If you stay after more, I think you can pull your grade up pretty significantly," he added. I smiled at him, unable to stop myself, nodding.

"Can do," I said, taking the test from him and waiting for him to walk away. It's really a good thing that he, as far as I knew, had seen my grade from my last history classes. They just wouldn't make sense. I wasn't dumbing myself down or anything...I was just intentionally choosing the wrong answer.

"Em?" I looked over at Zette, who I had given my notes before, to see her staring at my test.

"What?" I sighed, flipping it over so she couldn't see the grade.

"You're notes are really in detail. How did you only get a seventy?" she asked me. I shook my head, shrugging.

"I'm just bad at remembering stuff, that's all," I lied. She shook her head, seeming to accept that answer. When the bell rang, I got up, grabbing my bag and was halfway out of the room, right behind Zette when I heard, "Em? Would you mind sticking around for a second?" I stopped, biting my lip. What could have done wrong in Mr. Minton's class? I was pretty much a perfect angel in this class! I took notes and I paid attention...and stared at him. Maybe he noticed.

"I'll be out in a second," I told Zette. "Just hang around." She nodded, heading out the door. I pulled my strap up my shoulder, turning around to face Mr. Minton, who had half sat on a desk.

"I hear you've been giving Mr. Davies and Mr. Paul problems," he told me, raising his eyebrows at me. I looked down from his face, shrugging.

"Well, Mr. Davis keeps calling me Emily," I explained. "And Mr. Paul is just mean," I added. He snorted, shaking his head.

"He can be hard to get along with, I know," he sighed. "But they're both friends of mine, along with Mr. Hetherton and the other one, and I'm curious to know why you're acting up in their classes and not mine." I gulped, looking up at him.

"I just...I don't know," I mumbled. He sighed, getting off the desk.

"You're a good kid Em. I can tell you are," he told me, "So act like it, huh?" I nodded, running my hand through my hair.

"Thank you, now head to your next class before the bell."